This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

A Reaction From Cheetos?

Trish in Canada

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

There are thousands of ingredients in our foods that are not legally required to be on the labels.

Also, I think it is wise for us to be especially aware of eating nutritionally sound foods.

I used to have a few recipes for things that turned out like cheetos, only home made and wholesome....can't find them now, but I'm sure you could go online and find some fun recipes to make snacks. Not as nice as being able to grab some in the quick stop market, but you will feel better and your body will gain something instead of having more to fight off.

Also, if you have a local health food coop or store, they often carry quite a few healthy versions of cheeto type snacks and lots more that you may want to explore.

I choose to be glad that I have a disease that has prompted me to live a healthier life and seek out better sources of food for myself and my family. I could have had something worse and be on a bunch of medications. So keep your chin up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Byte Me Apprentice

This is interesting...a couple of days ago I was reading the transcript of a prank phone call from zug.com to frito-lay, where the guy claims his daughter is "allergic" to gluten.. the frito-lay girl's response was "well, you may not want to give this product to her then".

• 1 year later...
Gwenny Newbie

I have been getting DF rash flare ups for a few months and tummy issues here and there (ever since I started this job).

I've been bad and have snacked on Cheetos bought in the vending machine since I started working here (at least twice a week).

I quit the Cheetos for two weeks, the rash got better and my tummy behaved more.

I ate Cheetos this morning and got a HUGE red flare up on both of my legs. omg itching itching itching and had to run to the bathroom because my intestines basically went haywire.

So, I went to the FritoLay website and Cheetos are listed as Gluten-Free...

However, at the bottom of the Gluten-Free list it says this:

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

I'm sorry, but I have rarely seen anyone in a food processing area truly clean it thoroughly in all the years I worked in restaurants, so I'm going with the strong assumption of it also being true at any pre-packaged food company as well.

So I'd take that statement as a no, Cheetos are NOT Gluten-Free.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I use to love cheetos and other Frito Lay's brand chips. But after going gluten free and learning more I was noticing I was still feeling sick when I ate them. It is nice that some of the food companies are now posting gluten free lists but it is sad when you get excited about getting to eat food from the grocery store with the rest of your family and then feel sick from it.

I don't buy their brand in general anymore (it is very tempting at times but then you just have to remember how you felt). My husband reminds me how I felt when I ate any of their chips and gives me a look whenever I want to buy a bag (this normally happends when we go grocery shopping after work before dinner and I am hungry haha).

The only chips I buy now are the Mission brand -- Mission Corn Tortillas off and on (the white corn tortillas) and have had no problem.

larry mac Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but I have rarely seen anyone in a food processing area truly clean it thoroughly in all the years I worked in restaurants, so I'm going with the strong assumption of it also being true at any pre-packaged food company as well.

So I'd take that statement as a no, Cheetos are NOT Gluten-Free.

I really wish that people would mention that they're replying to a topic that's a year and a half old. I just read through the whole thread before I ran into my own old reply and noticed. :o

There's a huge difference between restaurants and manufacturing facilities. No comparison at all. They wash those lines down with steam hoses. I know, I worked at Frito Lay. I've eaten Cheetos, Tostitos, Ruffles, and Fritos the whole time I've been on a strict gluten-free diet. Never once had a problem. There's no way that could be if there was a gluten cross contamination problem to the extent that many of our posters think. I suspect it's mass hysteria. :rolleyes:

I don't doubt some people are intolerant of MSG, orange dye, soybean oil, dairy, processed foods, junk food, whatever. But that's not gluten!

Cheetos are good. Cheetos are our friend.

best regards, lm

mysecretcurse Contributor

I know my body very well and I HAVE been glutened from Doritos, Cheetos, and plain Lays potato chips. I don't think it's the msg, although that is very bad for you too, because I've had msg other times and not been glutened from it. I won't eat any of these types of chips anymore, as I'm interested in healing my body but putting chemical filled artificial junk into it. The only type of chips I ever eat are plain corn tortilla chips and the only ingrediants they have are corn, oil, and salt.

dkjones2 Newbie

On one of my many lists of ingredients that contain gluten MSG is listed as to having gluten

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
On one of my many lists of ingredients that contain gluten MSG is listed as to having gluten

MSG is not so good for you, BUT it is NOT Gluten related.

• 9 years later...
RainaS Newbie

I'm personally allergic to niacin, which can be found in cheetos and other products. If you really don't know, perhaps you should consult a doctor?

kareng Grand Master
47 minutes ago, RainaS said:

I'm personally allergic to niacin, which can be found in cheetos and other products. If you really don't know, perhaps you should consult a doctor?

The original discussion is almost 10 years old.  I would urge people reading this now bumped up thread to check with the manufacturer for up to date ingredients and practices.

Posterboy Mentor
11 hours ago, RainaS said:

RainaS,

You can start a new thread about this if you really think it is the Niacin but have you considered whether it could be Folic Acid instead.

Some people do experience because of MTHFR gene defect issues with Folic Acid and going gluten free helps them because gluten free foods are not enriched with Folic Acid.

here is a recent article featured on celiac.com about it.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/25019/1/Methylation-and-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

quoting

"Those individuals with MTHFR variants should avoid folic acid as a dietary supplement and foods enriched with it like cereals, breads, flour, etc."

There is a natural flush free form of Niacin known as Nicainamide that many people tolerate very well instead of the flushing form of Niacin most people/doctors use for Cholestrol management.

Magnesium use/supplementation has a similar image problem.

Magnesium Citrates in higher doses 200mg+ can cause flushing and people wlll often stop taking it before it does any good . . . but Magnesium Glycinate has none of the issues some people have taking Magnesium Citrate (especially on a empty stomach).

Think of the Niacinamide form in the same way.  No flushing/hives/rash etc. . .but all the benefit of Niacin.

If taking Folic Acid seperately causing you the same problem as you noticed and attributed to Niacin then  you might want to be tested for the MTHR variant.

I have taken Folic Acid very successfully for BP. . . .but people who have the gene defect might think they are having gluten problems that seemingly get better when they go gluten free.

A little testing will determine if it is the gene defect or the gluten in your diet.

*****this is not medical advice but I hope it is helpful.

I do a lot of nutrition research and as soon as I think I have it figured out . . I learn something new.

I just wanted to make you aware of the MTHFR gene defect so you would be aware you might have it and not be alert too it!

You can't do what you don't know.

Again I hope this is helpful and you can search for celiac.com for other users that have  had the same problems to see if your symptom's are similar but the link/article I provided is a pretty exhaustive resource on the topic.  Or at least enough to educate you or others who read this thread.

again quoting

"These MTHFR variants are NOT uncommon but unfortunately few in the medical arena are educated to address dietary concerns related to them."

And it is possible it might still be the Niacin . . . but I found Niacin helped me. and the level of Niacin used for enrichment is a very low dose. . . less than or  approx. only 30% of the RDA.

it is more likely (in my opinion) that you have reached toxic levels (of Folic Acid) due to internal processing errors of methylation or at least likely enough you should be tested for it and rule it out.

taking the methylform of B-Vitamins might be necessary for you if you have the gene defect. . . it would be an easy self test.

see if you can tolerate the methyl folate form not the synthetic folic acid form as the article points out. . . the form natural found in foods.

see this webmd summary on the difference

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1017-folic acid.aspx?activeingredientid=1017&activeingredientname=folic acid

"Folate and folic acid are forms of a water-soluble B vitamin. Folate occurs naturally in food, and folic acid is the synthetic form of this vitamin. Since 1998, folic acid has been added to cold cereals, flour, breads, pasta, bakery items, cookies, and crackers, as required by federal law. Foods that are naturally high in folate include leafy vegetables (such as spinach, broccoli, and lettuce), okra, asparagus, fruits (such as bananas, melons, and lemons) beans, yeast, mushrooms, meat (such as beef liver and kidney), orange juice, and tomato juice."

And again I hope this is helpful to you or the next forum user who reads it.

good luck on your continued journey.

2 Timothy 2: 7  “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included

posterboy by the grace of God,

• 7 months later...
Trish in Canada Apprentice

OP here, I have the MTHFR gene, I'm homozygous which means I have 10-20% efficiency in processing folic acid which means I have high homocysteine, low B12 and folate levels. I found out when I plugged in my raw dna data from ancestrydna into the promethease website in May.

Every other day I have been taking Methylated b12, methylated folic acid, methylated B6 (P5P). I have been doing this since June/July.  Started taking niacin with inotisol in September.

Starting in June I got a couple of itchy patches under my arms. I thought it was a reaction to deodorant. Nope, over the summer the rash has got progressively worse and popped up in other places: around ankles, stomach/abdomen, knees, lower arms, genital areas/buttocks, worse underarm area.  Tried benedryl which helped mildly, tried over the counter hydrocortisone, both which usually works with rash for me. Tried a cream with niacinamide in it but it did not work. Maybe it was too low dose of niacinamide to work? It was a cream that is meant for excema and has other ingredients.

I came the forums to post about this and ironically found my old post from 12 years ago.

I did also get exposed to gluten in June. My sister was sharing beef jerky with me and I assumed she checked (she also follows gluten-free diet mostly), it had wheat. Also had eaten out at restaurants a couple of times this summer and the food may have been contaminated. I ate fried food (corn chips and fired potatoes) ugh. 

I also have been eating dairy and eggs which I found out are high in iodine, so... I am gonna have to do an elimination diet again until I figure out what is going on. 

I stopped taking the supplements 3-4 days ago just in case they are making my skin flare up (they are gluten free as listed on the label). I may be having some weird histamine response.

• 10 months later...
orokosaki77 Newbie
On 9/23/2006 at 8:27 AM, Trish in Canada said:

I also had a bad reaction to cheetos.  For me, it was the yeast extract that messed me up.  A skin test has shown that my allergy to yeast is pretty strong.  I did not read the ingredients, and it gave me eczema on my face and body, along with hives and acne.  :(

• 4 months later...
a gal in Idaho Newbie

Not long ago, I ate some baked Cheetos, within just a few minutes, my lips and the inside of my mouth went numb. I brushed it off as to maybe something was on my hands.  A few days later, I was at a local restaurant where they served popcorn as an appetizer.  I ate a few hand fulls of the popcorn, and my lips and mouth went numb again. I thought this was odd, and now I am trying to figure out what is the common denominator  between the two snacks!  Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

a gal in Idaho

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, a gal in Idaho said:

Not long ago, I ate some baked Cheetos, within just a few minutes, my lips and the inside of my mouth went numb. I brushed it off as to maybe something was on my hands.  A few days later, I was at a local restaurant where they served popcorn as an appetizer.  I ate a few hand fulls of the popcorn, and my lips and mouth went numb again. I thought this was odd, and now I am trying to figure out what is the common denominator  between the two snacks!  Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

a gal in Idaho

Research corn allergies.  That would be the number one suspect between the two products.  Who know what was in the popcorn served at the restaurant?  You could always call and ask.  

• 3 months later...
Oceans Rookie
On 9/23/2006 at 11:27 AM, Trish in Canada said:

O.K. so I ate a bowlful of cheetos yesterday and got a fairly minor skin reaction within 1-2hours later. Previously I had a full body DH rash for about 7 months. The rash went away when I went gluten-free. Every once and awhile I accidently eat something that triggers a skin reaction. This time it was cheetos. I thought the ingredients were safe. I'm not sure anymore. About 2 1/2 months ago I had cheetos and had the same reaction but, at that time, I thought it was caused by something else (something that definately had gluten in it). I was dairy-free up until a week ago when I decided to start consuming lactose free milk products. I was fine all week. So I decided to try the cheetos to test about lactose. I didn't have any bowel or stomach reactions. I'm not sure if you can have a skin reaction to lactose? I know it's not a reaction to casien because I've been consuming lactose free milk all week with no skin or bowel problems. I've been eating corn tortillas all week, so I know it's not corn either.

I'm confused, so I need your help. Is there anything that would trigger a reoccurence of DH in this list of ingredients? Too much salt? (iodine?) Can anyone find a possible hidden gluten source in this list of ingredients? I've only been gluten free since May, so I'm still learning.

Cheetos Ingredients:

Enriched cornmeal (cornmeal, iron, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid) Vegetable oil. Seasoning (Whey, cheddar cheese, sour cream, artificial flavour, MSG, Lactic acid, colour, citric acid) salt.

Thank you,

Trish

Cheerios reacts same way with me. Oats are not gluten free due to extreme cross contamination. Rice chex cereal has been event free for me( also, as a result, it appears that you are re-injuring small intestines. Because of this stay away from LACTOSE! Use almond milk if possible. Pure oats are gluten-free and safe for most people with gluten intolerance.. However, oats are often contaminated with gluten because they may be processed in the same facilities as gluten

Edited by Oceans
  • 1 month later...
Jani5t5ai Newbie

I have dermatitis herpetiformis and I can confirm from personal experience that cheetos, even the baked ones, cause me to get skin blisters. Whenever I get a flare up, I put a cream on called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%. My dermatologist gave it to me. Dapsone never made a difference for me and I was on it for 3-4 months.

I really have to stress what I lifesaver the cream was. My skin blisters broke open leaving my entire arm to look like it had dragon scales that would ooze. I smeared the cream all over my damaged skin and after it dried, I would wipe the residue off and repeat. This process lasted about a week, until my skin was so improved, I didn't get weird looks from people anymore. It was honestly a Godsend. Before the cream, my DH-damaged arms were a hot mess for 3 months with no sign of improvement, while it took a week (maybe 2) for the cream to work its magic.

Last thing: the cream is really effective at stopping the intense itch DH causes. It works within 10 minutes. Don't touch the cream until it has dried and hardened before putting on a new layer if you still itch. 

Edited by Jani5t5ai