Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillyken

Found A Good Mock Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Hi,

I got Quinoa flour instead of Quinoa flakes for a Betty Hagman recipe for mock oatmeal cookies. Does it really matter in texture and taste before I open up the bag? Or the big question how can Quinoa flour be used...such as a substitute for another flour? Are there good recipes out there using the flour?

Ken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Though I haven't tried such ingredients yet, it does make sense that the texture is part of the reason for the flakes rather than the flour.

Sure there are plenty of uses for the flour, but the real question is whether you will be making anything that would turn out well with it.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Seems this thread keeps me thinking about oatmeal cookies. Either with or without raisins. An oatmeal/peanut butter cookie sounds great too.

Then it hit me - suppose you make popcorn, then put it in a blender to break it up into small pieces? Though not exactly oatmeal, it might give a nice texture to cookies.

Anyone ever try this?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hi,

I got Quinoa flour instead of Quinoa flakes for a Betty Hagman recipe for mock oatmeal cookies. Does it really matter in texture and taste before I open up the bag? Or the big question how can Quinoa flour be used...such as a substitute for another flour? Are there good recipes out there using the flour?

Ken

Quinoa flakes and flour will be pretty different. Flakes look similar to oatmeal. Read this recent thread if you haven't seen it already... I made the cookies you're probably talking about...they were good ! You can use the flour as a sub in other recipes. It has a nuttier taste, so remember that when you're subbing. http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23839

You can get some recipes for the flour here (will have to convert *some* of these to gluten-free):

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/ingredient.php?pid=285

http://www.quinoa.net/Recipes/Flour/flour.html

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/Re...oa_Pancakes.htm

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Thanks for reminding me Jen. I keep wanting to try this recipe b/c I have a box of Quinoa flakes downstairs. I think I'll give it a try tonight! :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Jen - I made quinoa cookies from the recipe you posted on the other thread and they turned out great! My "barometer" is always how my kids and hubby like them, and they did! They only lasted a day.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Jen - I made quinoa cookies from the recipe you posted on the other thread and they turned out great! My "barometer" is always how my kids and hubby like them, and they did! They only lasted a day.

Oh-so glad to hear it! We actually ate all ours too--usually I freeze some, but not this time.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

:D Thanks guys

I'm always learning something new here. There are soooo many things to learn about this diet. It helps to bounce some ideas off someone who knows.

Have a great day.

Ken