This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Good Soy Sauce....

clockworkjoce

clockworkjoce Newbie

so, i just went out to eat at a japanese rest. and the waiter wasn't sure what kind of soy sauce they used, but assured me it would be fine. of course, i'm not willing to suffer the consequences so i didn't eat it, but ended up getting mild food poisoning from the tuna in the sushi. should i be glad i'm having a stomach problem that isn't related to celiac disease? just kidding...

anyway, what i really want to ask is if someone out there has a list of soy sauces that contain wheat and those that do not, because that might make asking the waitperson and getting the right answer that much easier. does anyone have any tips on eating out asian, because it seems there is alot of asian foods we can still eat since the majority of their starches come from rice? celiac disease can be so limiting, i love learning there are more 'safe' foods out there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I use either LaChoy or SanJ Tamari - WHEAT FREE. (They do have a wheat version). These are the only two I know of, but there may be others.

skoki-mom Explorer
so, i just went out to eat at a japanese rest. and the waiter wasn't sure what kind of soy sauce they used, but assured me it would be fine. of course, i'm not willing to suffer the consequences so i didn't eat it, but ended up getting mild food poisoning from the tuna in the sushi. should i be glad i'm having a stomach problem that isn't related to celiac disease? just kidding...

anyway, what i really want to ask is if someone out there has a list of soy sauces that contain wheat and those that do not, because that might make asking the waitperson and getting the right answer that much easier. does anyone have any tips on eating out asian, because it seems there is alot of asian foods we can still eat since the majority of their starches come from rice? celiac disease can be so limiting, i love learning there are more 'safe' foods out there!

I use the Tamari organic stuff when I am cooking for my sister, as she has food issues other than gluten. For myself, I use VH, which is much cheaper and gluten free.

Lisa Mentor

I ditto Ev

La Choy (dull and boarding) but gluten-free. I use this in marinades

Wheat Free Tamari (more potent, but better than La Choy), I use this for taste.

Lisa

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I don't think you'll find any Chinese or Japanese restaurant that has wheat free soy sauce, unless ofcourse they have a gluten free menu such as PF Changs.

I use San-J, wheat free tamari.

I have gone to my favorite Japanese restaurant and they are very good about using my sauce in a clean pan with clean utensils.

shai76 Explorer

I'm allergic to soy and make my own soy-free sauce. It'sd basically 8 ounces of molasses, mixed with 2 ounces of apple cider vinegar, and a couple TBS of sugar. It's really good. :)

Lisa Mentor

That is sooo cool. Duh, I thought that soy sauce could only be bought in the store. Man, a new wrinkle in my brain. :) (when you learn something new, you get a new wrinkle in your brain, as my children have always told me.) :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie

Tamari is the name of the wheat-free Japanese soy sauce that many people use. A real Japanese restaurant will use regular 'shoyu' soy sauce for its sushi. It always has wheat in it.

Guest ~jules~

Right after I started the diet I got the sanj brand, made stirfry and had a reaction. I'm wondering if I have soy problems, or if I just got mystery glutened.

Nancym Enthusiast

You have to be careful even of tamari, some of them do have wheat. Check the ingredients, of course! But I use San J.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

VH soy sauce is gluten-free.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I usually use La Choy, just because I dont get out to Whole Foods much and that is the only place that carries San J. But I do agree, San J is much better tasting.

However, believe it or not my local Chinese takeout which I dont frequent, uses gluten free soy sauce packets. Its just the brand they have always used. I never looked before, as I never had a reason to.

Archived