This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

College Students?

Guest adamssa

Guest adamssa

hi,

i was just wondering if there were any other college celiacs/gluten intolerants out there who would want to post about being gluten-free when socializing revolves around junk food. although more dificult, how do you cope with feeling terrible fairly often (if you're still recovering) but not feeling isolated? weirdly, when i get cc'd or just feel crappy i want to get out but feel i am letting people down if am not being 100%. and feeling that cannot talk to others in the flesh about frustration because they think, you're diagnosed, you're all better...i suppose these are issues for everyone though.

AND can you get cc'd from a bong? i don't really like it, just wanted to have tried it, but am just worried about last night.

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wozzy Apprentice

I think that if you smoke out of a bong, getting CC'd is the least of your worries.

I don't really think that socializing revolves around junk food. And we can still eat a lot of junk food - chips, chocolate, candy, etc.

I'm in college and I don't have much of an issue. I don't think that my celiac disease hinders my ability to socializewith my friends. Sometimes I'll go to restaurants with them but I just won't eat. *shrug*

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I have this problem - I'm in college and I'm a bartender. So most of my life revolves around socializing -eating and drinking.

I've done a lot of research on what is ok to drink, and as for eating...well I've eaten out like twice in the last few months. And gotten sick one of the two times.

I just explain to the people who I think will actually listen what's going on with me - always good to inform the public! And any one else that I imagine could care less, well I make up an excuse or something. But it's funny how many celiacs you end up meeting - I met one through a coworker just the other nite! (I was WAY overexcited)

- Courtney

Mandy F. Apprentice

I don't know what to tell you about the bong... :huh:

But I am a bit discouraged from going to school events because they all revolve around food... Pizza parties, the (and I'm not kidding) grilled cheese party, and barbecues. I always get kind of a weird look when I have to explain my food issues to people and going to events that revolve around food (like club meetings for my major) just invite people to ask why I'm not eating. I don't like the idea of putting myself in that kind of a situation. What's worse, I should probably be going to these meetings... I suppose it would help if I knew there was someone else there who had the same problem, but as of yet, I don't.

Otherwise, If I'm just going out with friends, I don't mind saying something. Or, if possible, I won't say anything, I'll just order something that I know is gluten-free.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

If I don't feel like talking about my Celiacs or there just isn't time I say I have some odd food allergies (yes, I know it's more serious than that) and if they ask what happens I say I get sick and it doesn't matter because I already ate or I brought something with me. After you deal with being gluten-free for awhile it becomes normal feeling and not isolating. When I am on campus (or off) with the people I have known since I started it's not really an issue and they try (because they care) to make sure we have fruit or veggies for me or go to a restaurant that is willing to make me food or just have me bring my own. Last week the one club I am in was having pizza to welcome new members and while planing it I said I didn't need any food for me. When one of my friends showed up late the first thing she did was say, "pizza isn't gluten-free- next time we need something for Kristina, too." I thought that was so sweet of her but told her how I didn't care and was fine with having nothing. Being gluten-free becomes a non-problem. Parties and all that jazz are more about socializing than the food anyway. . .why else go? Plus, if your friends are let down by you feeling bad then they are being bad friends.

bmzob Apprentice

I'm in college and I just found out a month ago that I had celiacs. Most of my friends are bio majors, so they understand what I'm saying when I explain everything because they've taken anatomy & physiology...so that's pretty cool. The hardest part for me is I love beer and now I can no longer have it...I was never one of those girls that like'd the girly drinks too sweet. but now I just have to get used to it I guess. My school had a 40th Bday celebration and they had this famous cake maker come to make cakes...ohhh they looked so good, but I couldn't have any of them, that definitly sucked. I live off campus so I never eat anything on campus to begin with, I bring my own lunch and snacks. So I just make sure I pack a big one just in case I get hungry or anything. And when going out to a restaurant, I have had a few problems but I'm not going to give up going out because of Celiacs. So when I go out I ask to speak to the manager and I just tell them I have a severe food allergy, even though thats not completely true it makes them listen more and they take more care. Good luck to you!

Guest adamssa

yeah, i do agree that friends are generally understanding, but it does still get awkward when you're at someplace that is supposed to be about food. i suppose really my biggest problem is how dumb i can get when i get brain fogged. i make bad decisions... :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
bremac Apprentice

I'm in med school and we're ALWAYS having events and meetings with food, usually pizza or chinese. We haven't learned about celiac disease yet in class and I wonder if anyone will even then figure out that that's why I never eat the food they're having. Only my close friends know I have celiac disease and somewhat "get it." Everyone else is clueless and most people never notice that I'm not eating or that I always bring my own food. I really struggle with being open about it when I need to though and I've been trying to be less paranoid about explaining to people.

katrinamaria Explorer

i guess i've never really had a problem with this either. if i go to socialize that's what's important to me. i've never really felt embarrassed or pressure to eat. also i was a bit of a health nut even before going gluten-free so most people that know me, know that i eat lots of fruits and veggies and not much "junk foods". so i guess what i'm trying to say is, try eating natural foods that are good for you (not only because they are good for you) but also because they are gluten-free and "normal". i'm always munching on raisins... i keep one of those little boxes stuffed everywhere. or an apple, banana, orange. those are all easy to throw in your bag/purse. baby carrots are easy to bring along too. if you're looking for more junk food/convenience foods check out the recipe topic forum...there's tons of good stuff in there. good luck!

Archived