Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ~jules~

Pasta Recipes?

Guest ~jules~

My father bought me a pasta maker, I don't know if thats what you call it but its more like a pasta slicer thingy. Anyhow has anyone ever made Gluten Free pasta, and if so could I have the recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My father bought me a pasta maker, I don't know if thats what you call it but its more like a pasta slicer thingy. Anyhow has anyone ever made Gluten Free pasta, and if so could I have the recipe?

Jules, I had very limited sucess with making pasta gluten-free.... its too sticky for the machine mostly or falls apart...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

I use this recipe in my pasta maker with good results.

Gluten Free Pasta

(Basic dry mix –makes 4 batches)

2 C White rice flour

2 C Sweet rice flour

2 C Cornstarch

2 C Potato Starch

2 C Tapioca Starch Flour

4 tsp Salt

1 C Dry egg whites (packed)

6 tbsp Granulated lecithin (if using liquid, add 2 tsp for the individual batch when adding other liquids)

¼ C Xanthum gum

Mix well

When ready to make pasta:

2 ¾ C basic mix

1 egg beaten

1 tbsp oil

½ C water

Jules -

I've used Bette Hagman's pasta recipe (I think it's from her original Gluten Free Gourmet book). gfp is right in saying that it's tricky to work with - but if you are willing to experiment a little and keep trying, you can get it to turn out. My good friend used to make it all the time (gluten free), but now she's got 5 kids, and making pasta is too time consuming (especially since there are a lot more gluten-free pastas available now).

What I've always wondered is: would it be possible to make gluten-free pretzels with one of those pasta makers? That's what I really want to be able to make! (They're so darn expensive!!!)

Guest ~jules~

Thanks for the replies, I figure I have this thing I may as well use it. Besides I'm having issues with paying 4 bucks for a bag of half way decent gluten-free pasta, thats highway robbery!!!! :blink:

Thanks for the replies, I figure I have this thing I may as well use it. Besides I'm having issues with paying 4 bucks for a bag of half way decent gluten-free pasta, thats highway robbery!!!! :blink:

LOL I misread highway robbery for highly rubbery for a second!

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Guest ~jules~

I've been buying it at this pGlace called lifesource, its the only decent place to buy gluten-free things in this town. There is a Trader Joes about 45-60 minutes away, I keep meaning to check it out I'm just always so busy! :rolleyes:

As for homemade pasta, my wife has created some decent potato gnoccis, which come to thing of I have not had in a while. If I can aquire the recipe for them, I'll post it on here.

I was just about to post asking if anyone knew of a good recipie for this ! I am totaly interested ! :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Diagnosed with Celiac on May 30th /06 with Biopsy

Started diet June 28th /06

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Guest domusalessandra

Hi there!!

I make myself frsh pasta from scratch almost everyday. In Italy we have a very good gluten-free flour mix (Dr Schaer) which is based on corn flour and corn starch. As regards to how to make the dough and how to cut your pasta you might find interesting to check http://www.domusalessandra.com/recipes/Fresh%20pasta.htm where I describe all the procedure.

Buon appetito!!

FM

Hi there!!

I make myself frsh pasta from scratch almost everyday. In Italy we have a very good gluten-free flour mix (Dr Schaer) which is based on corn flour and corn starch. As regards to how to make the dough and how to cut your pasta you might find interesting to check http://www.domusalessandra.com/recipes/Fresh%20pasta.htm where I describe all the procedure.

Buon appetito!!

FM

OMG ... we are not worthy (everyone repeat)

I talked to a few gluten-free chefs in Italy recently and one of them told me the secret with the thin pizza bases was simply the shaer gluten-free flour, salt and water ONLY..... no yeast or anything else.

Interestingly shaer is owned by Heinz.... as I discovered having a gluten-free beer with my gluten-free pizza...

I tried some Bette Hagman noodles once and they came out fine texture-wise (by hand, not by pasta machine), but smelled very eggy. I find gnocchi easy to put together although a little time-consuming: start with a pound of ricotta or a bunch of mashed potatoes in a bowl. Add an egg or two, some parmesan cheese, and enough gluten-free flour (I use Bette's basic mix) that you can handle the resulting dough without cursing. Roll small pieces (egg-size is easiest) into ropes about 1/2" thick on a gluten-free-floured board and cut into pieces 1" or less. Pick up each piece and press gently onto the back of a fork that you hold tines down, curving outward - this puts grooves on one side and your finger dent on the other to hold sauce. This sounds very tedious, but put some music on and groove while you do it. Separate the pieces on wax paper, and either freeze and then bag for later (don't try to bag first and then freeze or you will have one massive gnoccho) or drop into boiling water and cook until they float. Don't cook much after they float or they will start to dissolve. I hear you can add spinach, squeezed dry, or garlic or parsley or whatever makes your mouth happy.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....