Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YankeeDB

Portable Kitchen For Travelling/staying In Motels

I'm looking into assembling a "portable kitchen" for travelling and staying in lodgings that have electricity. What should be included? Which particular brands?

1. Camping-style cookware and tableware.

2. Toaster/convection oven with burners on top? (Or maybe just a one or two burner unit?).

3. Mini-frig? (Hmmm, this could be heavy.)

How to pack and carry it all, including any take-with food items?

I know another possibility is to find a room with a frig and/or kitchenette but this is not always an option or the most economical choice.

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Pretty much all hotels have fridges on hand, for people with medications etc. Just ask for one when you make the reservation/check in. As for a travel cooler/fridge... I have one that plugs into your car adapter and the wall outlet. It gets pretty cold and can function as a fridge/cooler. I'd say that might be the most worthwhile item.

Now, I'm not sure if you're doing this for hotels for cabins for camping?? But if its camping I definitely recommend a portable stove, you can cook in your regular pans with it. Works great.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

That is what we plan for our next big vacation. We will take our camping stove and cookware for most of our meals. We travel with coolers though and buy ice a lot instead of the portable 'fridge that plugs into the car.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

Kabowman and Jenvan, thanks for your replies.

What is a "camping stove"? What brands are good? Does it use propane? How easy/hard is it to find propane canisters and what are the safety concerns?

What is the brand name of the frig that plugs into the car?

I'm hoping not to have too much to carry as sometimes I do travel alone.

Just tried to find the refig that pugs into the car and ours goes hot and cold..and keeps either or safe for like 8 hrs out of car. Pug into lighter and sit in back set so you can reach while driving.

I tried to find it as it put a web link for here in folders..when i find it will post it another is the toaster bags from QVC will try to put a link these are the best ever investment for us.

can take to resturant and they can do toast in their toaster..my bigger pkg has liners for the oven cookie sheet and micro wave..it's the best. Finally found the site but said out of stock.

will try to find another link later.

judy

Judy in Southern CA

The ones I've used have been propane. Ck out Coleman stoves here: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/...CategoryID=2000 I like the wider versions. I don't recommend this kind as much for outside b/c its not a stable--can get tipsy in the wind with a larger pan on it: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...categoryid=2020

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Jen

do you have the qvc link for the toaster bags.

judy

ok found this one now it won't paste

need to get off this computer for awhile will try later.

judy :ph34r:

Judy in Southern CA

I have and love our Colman Fridge / Oven that plugs in to the car and has an adapter for the wall. We got it for aroun $50 at Walmart (was a end of season sale) 2 years ago and use it every trip now. We stay with family most of the time, so we bring it in and use it all week to keep Tim's food seperate form teh gluten monster. I'll see if I cna find a link to it and post when I do...

Okay this is close

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/...categoryid=8570

Mines a different color, but the rest sounds the same... 40qt and all that. We use it laying down flat instead of up right like they show there, can fit more that way.

- Vincent -

If you are staying where you will have electricity-a real life saver for us is an electric water kettle. I don't particularly care for them, but my DD (16; gluten-free for 1-1/2 yrs) loves the Thai Kitchen products.

More and more hotel rooms have fridges (at least mini ones) and microwaves. Additionally, if you're flying, bringing fuel for campstoves with you is right out. And rooms with a kitchenette aren't significantly more expensive than regular rooms ($100/night in areas where rooms don't come cheaper than $70/night has been my experience). So I haven't worried about it beyond that. I might consider taking a campstove with me (backpacking stove), and buy fuel, but I've done trips without cooking before, so I know that's always an option.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA