• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Heater

What To Say?

Rate this topic

What's a good way of saying what happens when you eat gluten?

I have to eat out with people quite a bit for work, and I never know what to say past 'it makes me sick' if they keep asking. Generally I just go out for one or two meals with the same people, then never see them again- they're here for business, so I don't feel the need to explain it in a lot of detail. And I don't even really like talking about it all- in detail or not.

Any ideas on what I can say? Or how to change the topic?

it damages your small intestine.

I say "intestinal distress" if I think I'll ever see them again. They usually look at me quizically for a moment and then you see the light bulb go on...

I just say it''s not fitting conversation for a dinner table!

If they press I just say my body tries to get rid of it any and which way it can.... now can we move on!

I have to deal w/ that at work too, but i just say something like "it's an auto-immune reaction, so the symptoms vary and a lot of the effects are long-term so they are more difficult to pinpoint"

It is vague enough that they wont ask too many questions and u dont have to get into the details

I call it "bathroom issues", but I feel like even that is saying too much. I like Courtney's description of saying it's like having the stomach flu. I think I'm going to start using that.

Nancy

What's a good way of saying what happens when you eat gluten?

I have to eat out with people quite a bit for work, and I never know what to say past 'it makes me sick' if they keep asking. Generally I just go out for one or two meals with the same people, then never see them again- they're here for business, so I don't feel the need to explain it in a lot of detail. And I don't even really like talking about it all- in detail or not.

Any ideas on what I can say? Or how to change the topic?

I always say "its like food poisoning" because they get the idea, and I don't have to share the details.

If people keep asking and I really don't want to talk about it I just say, "my immune system attacks and destroys my internal organs." It's never failed to totally shut people up LOL.

Excellent response Mango :lol::lol:

Reading your post reminded me of a topic that I started in January: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...;hl=carriecraig

Most annoying comments/questions asked.

Some of the answers are hysterical - this is my favorite: Yea, I've gotten the "Can't you just eat a LITTLE??" Yea, I answered... if I want MOLTEN ACID shooting out my butt.

I tell people it causes an auto-immune reaction that in turn damages my intestines and causes numerous long-term health problems, as well as "making me sick." I quickly move on and say, if I don't eat it, then I'm fine!

And move on!

Now my poor friends know the REAL story (those poor poor people)

If people keep asking and I really don't want to talk about it I just say, "my immune system attacks and destroys my internal organs." It's never failed to totally shut people up LOL.

:lol: GOOD ONE!!!

I like the molten acid coming out my butt comment too! TOO FUNNY!

I don't typically have intestinal symptoms, but I do have DH. I typically show my arm and when people see the visible scars they get it. But even then, I get the feeling that they just think "big deal, she gets a rash". After a year I am still not sure of myself when asked the question........

Guest ~jules~

I usually say imagine how you would feel if you drank drano, or if its someone I'm close to I just use the stomach flu as an example. Oh god, my husband told a waiter I may go into seizures, thats never even happened to me, I guess he felt like the guy wasn't listening :blink:

I usually say that it's like a combination of stomach flu and a REALLY bad hangover that lasts for 3days- weeks. The look on their faces says it all. :P

I just say it''s not fitting conversation for a dinner table!

If they press I just say my body tries to get rid of it any and which way it can.... now can we move on!

very polite gfp.