This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Results For 19monthold--need Some Help Please!

CantEvenEatRice

CantEvenEatRice Enthusiast

Here are my 19 month old son's Enterolab results:

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 107 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 59 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 75 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 84 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

**I was diagnosed with Celiac 3 years ago through blood testing. I had my son's blood tested, but they lost most of his sample and only ran the gliadin antibodies which were negative. I did not want to have him get another blood draw so I went through Enterolab. 107 seems very high! Oh My! I do not quite understand the difference between a gluten sensitivity gene and a Celiac gene? Isn't it pretty much the same thing? Wow the milk number seems high too! I definitely had a gut feeling that something was wrong, but my son does not present as sick as you would think based on these numbers. In fact, his height and weight are perfect and he is very happy and energetic. But, he has had some bouts with diarrhea and diaper rash occasionally and he has fully body eczema at times. But nothing would jump out and say "Celiac!" It was a combination of my own Celiac and a gut feeling that prompted me to test him. I guess I am feeling a little sad now because I was hoping it was just milk. Do you think I should go ahead and have his blood tested for the Transglutaminase as well? Are false positives possible with Enterolab? I do not even know where to begin with keeping a toddler gluten free! How will he understand that he cannot have his friend's goldfish crackers anymore?! I just need some help and encouragement from other parents. One more question--so does he have Celiac or gluten sensitivity?--and what is the difference really? I am so confused Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Wow, those numbers seem high for just a 19 month old.

Sounds like you already now about the scores.

Celiac and gluten sensitivity seem to be pretty much the same thing-gluten free for life irregardless. I'm not really sure of the difference either. I believe Dr. Fine tests for more genes than most people. Maybe his studies will redefine what are considered celiac genes.

As far as not understanding why he can't eat his friends stuff, that will come. He is young and will pick things up quickly. Also as he is gluten free, I would think that when he gets glutened he would have a reaction which would help him remember that he can't have his friends treats. Start working with him as far as asking you if he can have something. There are bound to be lots of "mistakes" along the way, but that is part of his learning curve too.

Since you are already gluten free, switching him won't be as hard. Casein free may take some time to get used to if you're not used to looking out for it.

I don't think enterolab has false positives. They seem to be pretty on with their tests and have developed the active range after some study.

Thanks for the quick reply Andrea. I was just sitting here waiting to hear from someone :). You are right that I know what the results mean--I pretty much knew even before I received them. I am actually quite thankful to discover his early because I went undiagnosed for years and have lots of problems as a result. I definitely hate having Celiac, but I was always grateful it wasn't something worse. I worry the most about him being the child who can never eat the birthday cake or school food. I suppose in a few more years though that schools will offer gluten free meals! Can you imagine? I think that time is coming before too long.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Ouch, those scores are high for such a little guy! Good thing he doesn't seem to have malabsorption yet. He is so little, he'll soon forget about the gluteny things he used to have. Make sure he gets lots of healthy snacks, with the occasional treat. As long as he isn't hungry, he won't care about wanting things with gluten! Don't feel bad, you did the right thing to keep him healthy by having him tested.

You can always send a gluten-free cupcake for him when there is cake at birthday parties. And you can bake a delicious gluten-free cake for his birthday, his friends won't even know the difference.

AndreaB Contributor

I agree with Ursula. There are so many good gluten free goodies out there, your little guy won't know the difference. I just made brownies with a mix and they were just as good as gluteny ones. He will grow up with this diet and won't know to miss anything....it will be "normal" for him. Normal is a term I'm not sure fits. Anyone's diet, no matter what it is, is normal for that person. Whether they be omnivores, herbivores....whatever, the diet someone is raised with is normal for them.

We were vegans before my allergy testing and then enterolab. That was normal for my children. Now they are getting used to meat, so that will be normal. They are also getting used to having no gluten, soy or dairy. Just got them tested for allergies, so we'll see how they turn out. I'm suspecting mild allergy for milk since they tested around where I did for enterolab, but below the threshhold.

I'm pretty new to this myself, since May/June and have been reading a lot on here.

Your biggest challenge will probably be his learning curve. The food is tasty enough for him not to miss gluten for too long. :)

I would not be surprised if school become more sensitive to the gluten free diet.....still would probably be a problem with cc though, just like at resaurants. :unsure:

What do I do about milk now? I know whole milk is important for toddlers. Will he get what he needs from Rice milk? I am not so sure about Soy because I have horrible reactions from it. What are my options?

CarlaB Enthusiast
What do I do about milk now? I know whole milk is important for toddlers. Will he get what he needs from Rice milk? I am not so sure about Soy because I have horrible reactions from it. What are my options?

My kids grew up fine without milk :) Just be sure they get enough leafy greens. The calcium in milk is largely unusable by the body anyway. Whole milk is recommended for the fat, just be sure they get meat, and you won't have to worry about that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie

You can consider the rice milk a beverage, not an equivalent substitute for milk. They will just have to get nutrition from other good foods you serve.

AndreaB Contributor

Make sure you add other fats.....coconut oil, avocado....

As far as calcium, rice milk is fortified so that's not a problem and you can also supplement. Rhino calcium is free of a lot of allergens. Below is the email reply I got from them.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Yes, the Rhino Chewable Calcium Cherry tablets are free of gluten/wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, and peanuts.

Sincerely,

Nutrition Now, Inc.

Thanks so much! I am a little concerned about fats because my son is still eating jarred baby food at 19 months! He will eat crunchy foods or pureed, no lumpy soft foods like pieces of meat, potatoes, fruit, etc. We have been working forever on trying to get him to eat regular foods. It must be a texture thing because he will eat any kind of cracker like food, but no pieces of soft food. Of course, I guess that isn't so bad now because he doesn't have to switch from regular gluten food to gluten free. He will just start with the gluten free versions of everything. I probably need to give him a vitamin.

I have not shared the Enterolab results with our Ped yet. I am not sure what she will say. She had wanted the blood tests done, but the lab lost most of them. She also wanted to run a whole food allergy blood panel. Should I go ahead and do that to see if he is allergic to anything else or are they not too reliable? I don't want to put him through another blood draw if I don't have to. Is the Casein sensitivity for life or is it something he can grow out of? I have heard various opinions about this. However, I was allergic to milk as a baby and have gone on and off of it for years. I am now going off of it permanently because I think it causes a lot of underlying problems.

Wow! Do you ever wonder how much healthier our world could be if many people avoided gluten and casein? I am convinced that a large percentage of illnesses/medical conditions in this world are caused by food and covered up with medicine. I just do not understand why more doctors do not encourage diet changes even if bloodwork is negative. My dad has suffered severe migraine headaches for his whole life and I finally got him to test through Enterolab (just sent it in). He takes heavy duty pain meds which don't always help anyhow. My mom has all sorts of ibs issues. It is very difficult to convince people that it could be as simple as eliminating gluten and dairy and your whole life could change!

AndreaB Contributor

Yes, it seems gluten and casein are the culprit for a lot of things.

As far as more testing. If you are concerned about other allergies they can do a finger prick for ELISA tests for children (It's just the IgG though). I just had that done with my oldest 2. From everything I've read if you test positive on something remove all items for a time and then reintroduce one food item per 1/2 week or week. I'd say a week just to make sure.

Taste and texture is a hard one to get over. My older two stopped eating jarred food the day the turned 1 year old. My youngest is 10 months and still working through the firsts. He just started getting teeth so he will be on the baby food longer. Neither of my older two liked the chunky baby food. They preferred what I gave them to eat and learned to chew just fine. Forget the jarred food and work on some regular well cooked food. It may just take more time for him to get used to other types of food.

Aside from the Rhino Calcium, I also give my kids the Freeda Vitalets.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Why don't you just add some fat to your son's food? Even if you just add some coconut oil to a jar while heating it.

Also, do you have a blender? Just throw whatever you eat into the blender. That way he eats what you have, without the expense of the food in the jar. Plus, fresh is better, anyway.

And I agree with Carla. Cow's milk has been proven to CAUSE ostoeoporosis! In areas of the world where cows milk isn't used, osteoporosis is almost unheard of. In areas with cow milk consumption (America is way ahead of the pack there) it is rampant. I don't think it's a coincidence.

My husband's grandmother was severely allergic to milk products, and could never tolerate them. When she fell and broke her femur at the age of 98, they checked her bone, and they were perfect, not the slightest sign of osteoporosis. She walked again within six months!

Somebody put it this way: The largest dinosaurs had bones as thick as our bodies. They were strong and huge. Where did they get the calcium to make those amazing bones? Why, from green plants, of course!

Not a single mammal nurses their babies past tripling their birth weight. After that, no more milk from any source. Even though we aren't animals (despite many people claiming we are), our bodies have much in common with mammals. We don't need milk to be healthy, either. It's a myth the dairy industry (aided by the government) has been perpetuating.

Can he outgrow the casein intolerance, or is that for life also? I have already noticed that his belly is less bloated. I am debating whether I should run the Elisa blood testing that the ped suggested. I hate to have a blood draw if it isn't going to be reliable.

AndreaB Contributor

From my understanding that is also a life long "free".

I'm so glad to read that he is doing better already. :)

As far as the allergy test...you could have the one that is a finger prick, but I think that that just tests for the IgG (long term reaction). That's what I just had done for my two oldest. We'll find out towards the end of October what those results are.

Thanks Andrea! Did you do the finger prick through your doctor, or is that something you order online? Which lab is the best?

AndreaB Contributor

The doctor I saw for allergies is outside of my insurance network. I prefer him, he is an md who branched out into allergies and mercury toxicity. He was referred to me from a friend who is also a md. I would think you could get an allergy test from your regular doctor, but I'm not sure. I believe it is still called the ELISA test. My doctor goes through US Biotek.

Let me tell you my assumptions. I had both allergy tests and enterolab. I tested moderately allergic to soy and gluten (and wheat, gliadin). I tested intolerant through enterolab to soy and gluten. I tested low allergic to dairy but not intolerant through enterolab. I'm thinking they set there intolerance around the moderate allergic level (at least looking at my testing). Another friend told me that IgG is an intolerance whereas IgE is an allergy.

Archived