Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jesscarmel

Round Worm In Puppy

Hello

we just got a new pup on saturday and her fecal sample showed she had round worm. our vet said ppl can get it too....does anyone have any experience twith tis. of course with my anxiety issues, im nervous ill get it!

Jess

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Roundworms are a very common finding in puppies. You will only get it if you get eggs from the feces in your mouth. The vet will have given you a dewormer - I am sure. Follow the directions as you will have to repeat it in 10 days due to the life cycle of the roundworm. Clean up all feces in the yard as the pup can reinfect himself - wash the pups butt with small amount mild soap and water (ivory liquid hand soap for example) make sudsy solution so you dont end up leaving soap on the puppy/rinse well. Since eggs can remain on the fur outside the rectum - this approach will get rid of them..

Avoid letting him lick you on the face for now - hard to do when its a pup!. Wash hands after handling him.

A good site:

http://www.petcaretips.net/roundworms_in_dogs.html

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Roundworms are a very common finding in puppies. You will only get it if you get eggs from the feces in your mouth. The vet will have given you a dewormer - I am sure. Follow the directions as you will have to repeat it in 10 days due to the life cycle of the roundworm. Clean up all feces in the yard as the pup can reinfect himself - wash the pups butt with small amount mild soap and water (ivory liquid hand soap for example) make sudsy solution so you dont end up leaving soap on the puppy/rinse well. Since eggs can remain on the fur outside the rectum - this approach will get rid of them..

Avoid letting him lick you on the face for now - hard to do when its a pup!. Wash hands after handling him.

A good site:

http://www.petcaretips.net/roundworms_in_dogs.html

thanks for the great advice! it so hard not to let her kiss me. she is on antibiotics now, i believe for three days.

JEss

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

antibiotics??

The dog needs a dose of dewormer - pyrantel pamoate is best for pups. Usually one dose now and repeat in 10 days. I have never heard of antibiotics used for roundworms. (and I am an AHT and hubby is a vet).

metronoidazole is used for giardia and an antibiotic is used for coccidia (slips my mind which one right now - I am at home and we dont see much coccidia in pups here).

Did the pup have coccidia as well?

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

hypothyroid 1996

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

scoliosis Jan 2008

son is 13

antibiotics??

The dog needs a dose of dewormer - pyrantel pamoate is best for pups. Usually one dose now and repeat in 10 days. I have never heard of antibiotics used for roundworms. (and I am an AHT and hubby is a vet).

metronoidazole is used for giardia and an antibiotic is used for coccidia (slips my mind which one right now - I am at home and we dont see much coccidia in pups here).

Did the pup have coccidia as well?

it says panacur on the bottle. i think we just assumed it was an anitibiotic????

it is a dewormer and is effective against giardia as well. Now it makes sense - and yes it is for 3 days, just a diffeernt type of medication and it is for roundworms too.

see: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1596

** also dont freak if you see worms in the poop. ... it means the meds are working - but it can be quite gross

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

hypothyroid 1996

scoliosis Jan 2008

son is 13