Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Chebe Pizza Crust Mix

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I wouldn't say its close to the real thing--not a soft thick crust. It is thinner, maybe between chewy and crispy, depending on how long you cook it. That aside, I really like using the crust alot. I probably use it most of the time for me because its 1. fast (no yeast to deal with etc) and 2. tastes good. However, if you are going to be *really* picky about texture etc... you might want to try a yeast based mix first.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

I use it exclusivly. I have a receipe for one (yeast free) but it is so chewy. It isn't "normal" like Jen said but for me, it works and is very easy.

-Kate

gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:

Strawberries and Banannas (2007)

Nitrates (April 2006)

Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)

Peanuts (Nov. 2004)

Soy (Oct. 2004)

Almonds (Sept. 2004)

Corn (Sept. 2004)

Lactose/Casein (1999)

thank you...last week I tried the Gluten Free pantry french bread/pizza mix, I did exactly what the package said and let it rise for 40 mins in a warm spot, it was a sticky mess, couldn't even roll it out..the whole thing went down the drain!

does the Chebe make a big enoyh crust for 3 ppl??

~Betty

Bette Hagman has an excellent recipe for pizza crust that is really easy to make and turns out absolutely delicious. It's the closest thing to "normal" pizza that we've tried. Even my husband enjoys this treat, my friends couldn't even tell the difference (and the one girl works at Pizza Hut). If you want the recipe, PM me. It's the Easy Pizza recipe in Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Cookbook. I didn't like the Chebe crust, so after about 10 different recipes, this is the one I settled on.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Hmm, I'd say chebe is more for 2 people/adults. What do you think Kate?

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Hmm, I'd say chebe is more for 2 people/adults. What do you think Kate?

Just about right for 2 people.

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

I was a pastry/bread baker pre-diagnosis and made homemade pizza every Sunday night for my family. It took me 3 years (and MANY failed/nasty crusts) to come up with a recipe that even my father (who does not have celiac and is probably the pickiest eater on the planet) likes. If you are interested-send me an email and I will get the recipe to you!

Re: Chebe-I think it makes a decent breadstick, but not a great pizza crust

I actually really like Chebe, but my favorite is Cause Your Special World Famous Pizza Crust (or something like that). Mmmmm...

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Guest Kathy Ann

Used to eat Chebe until I found out I was also allergic to dairy and eggs. Can I make a decent crust with the mix by substituting for the eggs and cheese (asked for on some packages of Chebe)? I don't want to buy it and try it if you'all have already concluded it doesn't work. Thanks!

Used to eat Chebe until I found out I was also allergic to dairy and eggs. Can I make a decent crust with the mix by substituting for the eggs and cheese (asked for on some packages of Chebe)? I don't want to buy it and try it if you'all have already concluded it doesn't work. Thanks!

I make it without dairy. I just use rice milk and leave out the cheese. I'm thinking an egg replacer wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm not an expert on that...

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates