This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

elye Community Regular

As expected, Sandy missed us here. Still waiting to hear from my family up north... how did our psillys fair???

I am waiting to hear from our Patteigh.. . .. :unsure: .. .. ... :unsure: .. . ..I know she is inland, but NJ has been hit SO hard.....

Wow......the destruction...... .. ....what will Patteigh's 50,000th post bring??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

At least email updates from this thread are working now! Gotta hold on to the tiny wins sometimes! :D

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I think I saw a post here somewhere or on Facebook, she is out of

power but otherwise fine. :)

Yeah, I'm stupid, she totally responded to a post of MINE on

FB this morning. Obviously not awake yet....

shadowicewolf Proficient

Eh, i don't think so, the retainer i've had for.... 4 years or so? Its still somewhat tender this morning, i think thats partially because when i was flossing the heck out of the area i overdid it and kinda cut the gum.

I don't have the money for a slow cooker right now :/ so i do it on stove top. I'll try to put the meat on for about two or so hours next time and see what happens.

As for the honey, is it the same amount as it says for vanilla? So ex 1tbs would be 1?

Honestly, you don't really have to add anything to replace the vanilla,

it is a taste enhancer only. Adding a bit of honey, about a tablespoon

(or as I like to do, pour it and count one-one thousand) would be just fine.

I make my pot roast on the stovetop as well. I choose roasts between

2-4 lbs, and first, in the pot, brown each side in olive oil and lots seasonings.

Get it nice and brown too, give it at least five minutes on each side with loud

sizzle, but not high enough to smoke. Then add a cup or so of boiling water

(I use my electric teakettle for hot water) using hot water will keep from

bringing the temp of the meat down again. Then cover and leave it alone for

at least two hours on the lowest setting/simmer. If your roast is only 1-2 lbs,

you're done. If it's 3-4, give it a full three hours on the stove.

VydorScope Proficient

Yeah, I'm stupid, she totally responded to a post of MINE on

FB this morning. Obviously not awake yet....

hehe! It is great to have FB and Twitter to get updates from people. Many can use a cell phone and blast a 5 second message to FB just so that people can know they are all right (or need help! Saw one this AM from some one trapped on their roof, last I heard help was enroute)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

I see Patti . . . <waving frantically> . . . How you doin'?

jerseyangel Proficient

Doin' ok:). Lots of wind and rain last night, but all calm this morning. We didn't lose power here, but lots of others did right around here including my son who lives a few minutes away.

Still without phone/cable/internet, but that's minor. Mark doesn't have work today (closed--yeah!), so we'll probably take a ride and see how the rest of the area fared. And buy milk:)

VydorScope Proficient

Doin' ok:). Lots of wind and rain last night, but all calm this morning. We didn't lose power here, but lots of others did right around here including my son who lives a few minutes away.

Still without phone/cable/internet, but that's minor. Mark doesn't have work today (closed--yeah!), so we'll probably take a ride and see how the rest of the area fared. And buy milk:)

YAY!! more and more poeple checking in! So far... so good!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Good to see you all. Been watching footage and it is unreal.

Still crossing fingers for everyone else :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Just got a call, we are heading out to help a friend's daughter--tree fell on her house last night. She is ok, house not. :(

Jestgar Rising Star

Nice that you can be there for her. :(

psawyer Proficient

Here in Toronto, the peak rainfall is expected in the next 24 hours. High winds yesterday and overnight have caused damage and there are some power outages. One death is reported--a woman was hit by flying debris.

kareng Grand Master

I don't have the money for a slow cooker right now :/ so i do it on stove top. I'll try to put the meat on for about two or so hours next time and see what happens.

You can get a basic slow cooker/crockpot at Walmart for under $20. Maybe you should ask for one for Christmas?

I find I prefer stovetop pot roast anyway. But that's just me! :D

Jestgar Rising Star

rebel

GFinDC Veteran

A pressure cooker is what I was thinking of, not a slow cooker. Slow cookers are um, slow. :blink: Pressure cookers are fast. B)

I like things fast myself, but I have heard rumors that some women prefer things slow. Could be the reason for the slow cooker preference perhaps? :D

Good to hear you are ok Pateh!

elye Community Regular

Well, it's beautiful and sunny here..... :unsure: . . . . .. .68 F....... .. ..but it's comin'...

mushroom Proficient

Not just you, me too, and with leg of lamb I do it the Italian way -- just garlic and rosemary (and wine instead of water). This works best if you can convince a butcher to give you a shoulder cut, you know, the old-fashioned butcher still hiding under a rock somewhere :D

mushroom Proficient

Glad you're okay, Patteigh. :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I just lost all 5 of my multiquotes, and I can see smilies but can't use them. I'm so annoyed today!! Where's the little annoyed guy when I need him!!!

Glad you're okay, Patteigh. :)

So sososososo glad you guys are all OK!!! Been thinking and praying for you all!!

shadowicewolf Proficient

Alright guys, i've discovered and killed the second wasp in my room (with dawn dish soap no less). Those bloody bugs keep crawling under my door. All sweet things like honey have been stashed in the fridge.

Do you think i could tape some cardboard on the bottom of my front door, enough to keep them out? I looked around at king soopers when i was there last and found nothing that could help.

I also sent an email to housing telling them about this madness.

kareng Grand Master

Alright guys, i've discovered and killed the second wasp in my room (with dawn dish soap no less). Those bloody bugs keep crawling under my door. All sweet things like honey have been stashed in the fridge.

Do you think i could tape some cardboard on the bottom of my front door, enough to keep them out? I looked around at king soopers when i was there last and found nothing that could help.

I also sent an email to housing telling them about this madness.

You have masking or duct tape? You could hang it at the bottom of the door, sticky side hanging lower than door. If they tried to get in, they would stick. You could use a double sided tape or tape in a circle (like you put on the back of a poster to hang up) & put it on the floor under the door, too.

shadowicewolf Proficient

oooooh that might work.... no duct tape or masking (i don't think)... i'll see what i can scrounge together...

Archived