This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

elye Community Regular

Whoa, Jyaghnuttt.. .. ...rutabagas, bi-weekly vomit, burst appendices and li'l ants... .. ....... . . man, you're having quite a time over there! No leaky anal glands or malfunctioning ballcocks, I'm assuming -- so it could be much worse. <_<:rolleyes:

You know something?.. .. . ......I honestly don't know if I have EVER, in my life, eaten a rutabaga. Is it just a turnip with a different coloUr? Perhaps it is the same as "neep", which is what the Canadian Maritimers call the yellowish turnip... . ......hmm....not sure... . ...

Anyways, turnips of any kind are rather hellish things, unless covered in a cream sauce or cheese or brown sugar and butter.. . .....LOTS of it.... . . . ...

Really, anything can be made palatable if so covered... . .....poop, even, maybe.. . . . .. ......:blink:

:ph34r::lol: :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

We are dealing with "random ants". That's what the High School kids are calling them. Everyone has them this year. Random ants are the 2 or 3 you see in weird places looking for food. If they find it, they go home & tell the others. This is the first year we have had really big ones in the house. When the sugar ants got bad a couple of years ago, I went outside & found where they come in. Then I followed them back to the nests. Dug up the nests & poured Dawn dishwashing soap & lots of water. Really reduced them for several years.

I feed mine to the chickens

elye Community Regular

Gah! Jyaghnuttt! That's it! You simply needs to get a few civckebs! :lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast

You know something?.. .. . ......I honestly don't know if I have EVER, in my life, eaten a rutabaga. Is it just a turnip with a different coloUr? Perhaps it is the same as "neep", which is what the Canadian Maritimers call the yellowish turnip... . ......hmm....not sure... . ...

Could be . . . it's thought to be a cross between a turnip and wild cabbage . . . tis also called a yellow turnip or a swede. We roasted them with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Needs seasoning otherwise too bland . . . sweeter than a potato but not a sweet potato :blink: . . . really hard and has to cook longer than potatos but end consistency (at least roasted) was similar. Can't actually think about them right now and may as well throw out the ones in the fridge. Don't know when I'll be ready to face another rutabaga . . . :greenguy:

Karann . . . I think my ants are under my deck. I can't get to them. This is the first time I can't get to the entry point into the house, either (although that usually only holds them off for a little while). Their trail came from between my dishwasher and countertop. I'd have to remove my dishwasher to get to it. I've got some ant-poison-bait-goo stuff (Ummm, pretty sure that's how it's marketed) sitting all around my sink. So far so good . . . they swarmed it last night and actually quite a bit of bait was missing this morning. It's the kind that they are suppose to take back and feed/kill off their whole nest with. We'll see.

Gah! Jyaghnuttt! That's it! You simply needs to get a few civckebs! :lol:

:lol::lol:

:huh:

Then what do I do about my civckeb investation??

Jestgar Rising Star

Then what do I do about my civckeb investation??

feed them rutabagas. entire circle solved.

kareng Grand Master

Anyways, turnips of any kind are rather hellish things, unless covered in a cream sauce or cheese or brown sugar and butter.. . .....LOTS of it.... . . . ...

Really, anything can be made palatable if so covered... . .....poop, even, maybe.. . . . .. ......:blink:

Never had a rutabaga either. Anything covered in enough cheese is usually good.

Someone here tried to get permission to have chickens but it keeps getting denied. If I got a couple of the silkies, might be able to convince people they were a new breed of dog.

Karann . . . I think my ants are under my deck. I can't get to them. This is the first time I can't get to the entry point into the house, either (although that usually only holds them off for a little while). Their trail came from between my dishwasher and countertop. I'd have to remove my dishwasher to get to it. I've got some ant-poison-bait-goo stuff (Ummm, pretty sure that's how it's marketed) sitting all around my sink. So far so good . . . they swarmed it last night and actually quite a bit of bait was missing this morning. It's the kind that they are suppose to take back and feed/kill off their whole nest with. We'll see.

Maybe a chicken could go under the deck & get them. Tried the sweet ant killer. May have just attracted more ants. Put the sticky stuff outside as close as possible. Will attract them to the outside "food" instead of inside.

If all else fails, dynomite!

elye Community Regular

Maybe a chicken could go under the deck & get them.

If all else fails, dynomite!

No! If all else fails, THIS will work:

Giant-anteater-4059.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

No! If all else fails, THIS will work:

Giant-anteater-4059.webp

He's cute . . . my kids would love to have 'em . . . definitely more likely to pass him off as a dog, too.

kareng Grand Master

He's cute . . . my kids would love to have 'em . . . definitely more likely to pass him off as a dog, too.

They are very stinky & crabby. Hmm.. maybe the kids would like him.

Darn210 Enthusiast

They are very stinky & crabby.

:lol:

How do you know this??

Do you already have one??

You were just giving me a line about all that borax and dawn soap stuff, weren't you?? You've got yerself an anteater!!! . . . or as Jess would say . . . an aneatart.

elye Community Regular

They are very stinky & crabby. Hmm.. maybe the kids would like him.

Indeed.... .. . ... . .after all, this is what I fully expect my DD's first boyfriend will be.. .. ...

:rolleyes:

Do anteaters really stink? They are quite bizarre-looking, rather other-worldly, like something George Lucas or James Cameron dreamed up... . ...as are these guys:

platypus.webp

Wow. Talk about bizarre. So strange, in fact, that I have trouble believing that the duck-billed platypus truly exists. How can it be?? Little fur-covered rodent body, duck's beak, long, tiger-like talons on the end of webbed feet, poison spur under their beaver tail.. . . ....... . like a side show feature.

Shroomie, you're the closest to Australia - - are these crazy li'l things real?? :huh::lol:

kareng Grand Master

:lol:

How do you know this??

Do you already have one??

You were just giving me a line about all that borax and dawn soap stuff, weren't you?? You've got yerself an anteater!!! . . . or as Jess would say . . . an aneatart.

Actually, don't have one but have met a couple at the zoo. They have a nasty (at least to human women) body odor. Not very social. Bristly hair. Sounds like some of the guys that used to hit on me when I was single.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Indeed.... .. . ... . .after all, this is what I fully expect my DD's first boyfriend will be.. .. ...

:rolleyes:

Do anteaters really stink? They are quite bizarre-looking, rather other-worldly, like something George Lucas or James Cameron dreamed up... . ...as are these guys:

platypus.webp

Wow. Talk about bizarre. So strange, in fact, that I have trouble believing that the duck-billed platypus truly exists. How can it be?? Little fur-covered rodent body, duck's beak, long, tiger-like talons on the end of webbed feet, poison spur under their beaver tail.. . . ....... . like a side show feature.

Shroomie, you're the closest to Australia - - are these crazy li'l things real?? :huh::lol:

They also lay eggs but are mammals :huh:

Curious.

psawyer Proficient

No strange animals here, but we have put the bird feeder away for the season, and have reclaimed the deck for human use. The table is set up, and we are going to enjoy nachos and cheese under the umbrella. :)

It is only April 2, right?

Darn210 Enthusiast

Actually, don't have one but have met a couple at the zoo. They have a nasty (at least to human women) body odor. Not very social. Bristly hair. Sounds like some of the guys that used to hit on me when I was single.

Anybody else thinkin' yeti??

mushroom Proficient

Puff, puff, puff -- running fast, catching up...... :lol:

Howdy Peeps . . . Happy April Fools Day!!

Working on Skeeter's Independent Study Project . . . did I mention that it's suppose to be 3 pages typed . . . did I mention she has to give a 5 to 7 minute presentation . . . did I mention she's nine . . . BAH!!!

Three TYPED pages?? How many keyboarding classes has she had? :rolleyes: But starting 'em early on presentations is good. I had never done it before high school, and my first time I just "froze" -- absolutely nothing would come out, I was terrified, turned red in the face and ran out of the room :lol:

It has taken me the rest of my life to overcome that fear :o But I did a good job for Miss Mary--biased hubby said my eulogy was da best!!

We are dealing with "random ants". That's what the High School kids are calling them. Everyone has them this year. Random ants are the 2 or 3 you see in weird places looking for food.

Random ants are the scouts, the advance recon party so to speak :lol: They need to be despatched afore they find a single crumb. They are not benign, they intend to get out their cellphones and invite the whole neighbourhood to PARTAY at your house forthwith. Our place in CA was ant-infested, and I do think perhaps the bait just attracted the neighbours ants too :rolleyes:

:ph34r::lol: :lol:

Like turnips, here rutabagas (known locally as swedes) is grown for sheep fodder -- as well as for human consumption. :D I have had to add them back into my diet lately, having taken so many things out. I like them roasted best but as Em says, they take a loooong time to cook. They can also be steamed together with parsnips, mashed with a little cream and then baked with a cheesy crumb mixture on top -- not bad. But straight rutabaga or turnip I leave for the sheep.

platypus.webp

Like most things in Australia that seem unreal -- cuddly koalas, hoppin' kangaroos, ginormous snakes what like to live in yer houses, zillions of poisonous spiders of every size, shape and colour you can imagine--ones that drop on you, ones that jump on you; crocodiles, Tasmanian devils, etc., etc., yeah I believe the duckbilled platypus is for real although I's never seen one. :o Notice I did not mention emus, because most of our native birds are flightless birds and I don't find emus weird. Our most prevalent dinosaur was a huge flightless bird called a moa which only became extinct comparatively recently when the maori overhunted them :blink:

Gianknit, I am hoping you get Skeeter's problems all sorted out next month; t'is exceeding strange, this random vomitousness.

PeOter, you was right about this summer being over. We is having a bit of Indian summer at the moment, but we actually had a touch of a frost the other morning and the poplars are turning golden. Most of our natives are evergreen, however, so winter doesn't look that dreary and drab. But I have anuvver summer to look forward to in a couple of months or so :D

nikki-uk Enthusiast

You too?? :lol:

Just wonderin' if me li'l peeps from under the stairs are wiv him?? :unsure:

elye Community Regular

No strange animals here, but we have put the bird feeder away for the season, and have reclaimed the deck for human use. The table is set up, and we are going to enjoy nachos and cheese under the umbrella. :)

It is only April 2, right?

I know, I know! POeter, we've been doing EXACTLY the same thing here today.. .. .....dinner on the deck tonight! :)

Yes! He stank, didn't he? Um, he didn't have a duck bill .. .... . .:unsure:.. . ......but he could well eat ants...... . . he could be helping you out there, Jyaghnuttt, whilst he carries out, cleans up and arranges your patio furniture for you .... . .. :rolleyes:

Darn210 Enthusiast

KareIn - can't recall - are you aware that we have a yeti? We pass him around from psillie to psillie to help with odd jobs and to share the burden of keeping him fed. Sounds like you may have already met him though . . . he was hitting on you, eh?

psawyer Proficient

I know, I know! POeter, we've been doing EXACTLY the same thing here today.. .. .....dinner on the deck tonight! :)

Twas lovely, and there was a beautiful red sunset to go along with it. High tomorrow is expected to be 25C.

Yeti? Anteater? Platypus? Just typical expected visitors here in psillyville. Nothing is too strange for us. ;)

kareng Grand Master

KareIn - can't recall - are you aware that we have a yeti? We pass him around from psillie to psillie to help with odd jobs and to share the burden of keeping him fed. Sounds like you may have already met him though . . . he was hitting on you, eh?

That Yeti was probably 25 years ago. Did not know we get the use of a Yeti. What do we feed him? Annoying neigbors? Yappy dogs? Those disgusting yellow crackers teenagers eat?

Twas lovely, and there was a beautiful red sunset to go along with it. High tomorrow is expected to be 25C.

Yeti? Anteater? Platypus? Just typical expected visitors here in psillyville. Nothing is too strange for us. ;)

As you know, I am an animal lover. Even strange, odd, stinky & reproductively challenged ones.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I never got the yeti.... I don't care how he smells, I'm tired of doing dishes.

Mtndog Collaborator

Tee hee....Kerrin- this is what yetis are good for

299haj.webp

Yeti snuggling! But when they come back from the Nortern countries, they REALLY need a bath!

elye Community Regular

'Mornin', Psills!

What do we feed him? Annoying neigbors? Yappy dogs? Those disgusting yellow crackers teenagers eat?

As I recall, he does NOT have any food intolerances. He is gassy, however... . ......so perhaps he should be tested. Hey, I stepped up to measure his inseam, but there is NO WAY I'm volunteering to collect one o' those stool samples to ship off to Enterolab.... . ... . ..

.... I don't care how he smells, I'm tired of doing dishes.

Same sentiments for getting married, 'twould often seem.. . . .........<_<:lol:

299haj.webp

:lol: :lol: Great work, Bevel!!

kareng Grand Master

299haj.webp

Yeti snuggling! But when they come back from the Nortern countries, they REALLY need a bath!

Great picture! Obviously you have bathed this one.

'Mornin', Psills!

As I recall, he does NOT have any food intolerances. He is gassy, however... . ......so perhaps he should be tested. Hey, I stepped up to measure his inseam, but there is NO WAY I'm volunteering to collect one o' those stool samples to ship off to Enterolab.... . ... . ..

When he comes to visit me, I'll put him on Puppy's gluten-free dog food. It stopped Puppy's gas.

Very well balanced food- has brown rice, chicken, carrots, blueberries, etc. Am thinking of putting the whole family on it. Makes meal planning so much easier.

Archived