This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Odd Question

Guest KylieSuzanne

Guest KylieSuzanne

Hello all,

I have a very odd question and wonder if anyone else has this problem. Before going gluten free i was very very sick, dehydrated for months, a little under nourished, and just all around crappy for about 4 months until i finally convinced my mother that something was wrong. During that time, my hair started to fall out, not to the point where i had bald spots, but a lot was coming off. I have very thick curly hair which has now come back. Recently i have been having some problems again and i don't know if it is celiac related, i am going back to the gastro soon. I have very bad kidney pain and now again all of a sudden my hair is starting to fall out again. Could i have a vitamin problem or could it be something else? Did this happen to anyone else? Any input will help, Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Fungal infections, lupus, diabetes, hormonal changes... All these things can cause hair loss as well as vitamin deficiencies. I would definitely bring it up with your doctor.

lancpa Rookie
Hello all,

I have a very odd question and wonder if anyone else has this problem. Before going gluten free i was very very sick, dehydrated for months, a little under nourished, and just all around crappy for about 4 months until i finally convinced my mother that something was wrong. During that time, my hair started to fall out, not to the point where i had bald spots, but a lot was coming off. I have very thick curly hair which has now come back. Recently i have been having some problems again and i don't know if it is celiac related, i am going back to the gastro soon. I have very bad kidney pain and now again all of a sudden my hair is starting to fall out again. Could i have a vitamin problem or could it be something else? Did this happen to anyone else? Any input will help, Thanks!

lancpa Rookie
Hello all,

I had hair falling out due to thyroid, and another time due to an imblance in either calcium or vitamin c I believe.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello all,

I can only answer from my personal experience but when this happens to me I can usually link it to gluten sneaking in somewhere. You are wise to get things checked out by your doctor, we should never assume gluten is causing everything, but while you are doing that also look for any way that gluten may be sneaking in. If you had positive blood work at diagnosis now is the time to have the panels run again along with checking your B12, folate and iron, blood glucose and thyroid. Look for possible non-food sources also, as an example I became very ill again when we did some work with drywall, I didn't know that drywall and the compound were hidden gluten sources. You also could be more sensitive to CC, either from gluten eaters in your home, toiletries or from lines on processed foods. Not all companies will state if gluten and non gluten items are run on the same lines.

I hope you get this figured out soon I get kidney pain also when glutened and I know it really hurts but somehow not as much as seeing handfulls of hair on my pillow and shower floor. (((((((hugs))))))

Archived