• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chewymom

Need Advice On Replacements For Food For Daughter

Rate this topic

I'm finally facing the facts with my daughter and going gluten-free. For the most part, this won't be that traumatic. She has never liked sandwiches and likes very few crackers, so that is good.

It hit me this morning that one biggie for her will be Sunday morning breakfasts. We have a tradition (going back to my childhood, many years ago) of having sweet rolls every Sunday morning. What would be a good replacement or substitute?

Also, are there some crackers that your kids especially like? She is served crackers every day at preschool, and I want to send her own supply, but I hate to spend a fortune trying all of the ones out there.

What about biscuits/rolls? She does love to have a good roll or biscuit with her dinner many nights. Is there a yummy substitute food for that? (It doesn't necessarily have to be something made with a gluten-free flour--maybe just an alternate food I'm not thinking of.)

Thanks for any help or ideas! And pass along any other tips or especially yummy food for the preschool crowd!!

You are giving your daughter such a huge blessing! Your life as the chief cook and bottle washer will be much easier if your entire house goes gluten-free as the instance of cross contamination is high. You should check out this thread: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24378 (sorry I don;t know how to link a thread)

gluten-free food is getting better and better all the time so always keep checking. One of the newer items by Kinnikinik are chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos) and vanilla sandwich cookies. My child who can eat "regular" food says they taste "normal" and loves them.

Best wishes and God bless you and yours

It hit me this morning that one biggie for her will be Sunday morning breakfasts. We have a tradition (going back to my childhood, many years ago) of having sweet rolls every Sunday morning. What would be a good replacement or substitute?

Also, are there some crackers that your kids especially like? She is served crackers every day at preschool, and I want to send her own supply, but I hate to spend a fortune trying all of the ones out there.

What about biscuits/rolls? She does love to have a good roll or biscuit with her dinner many nights. Is there a yummy substitute food for that? (It doesn't necessarily have to be something made with a gluten-free flour--maybe just an alternate food I'm not thinking of.)

Thanks for any help or ideas! And pass along any other tips or especially yummy food for the preschool crowd!!

For Sunday morning breakfasts what about pancakes? We usually do a big brunch on Saturdays with pancakes, waffles or muffins, turkey bacon or sausage, and applesauce or other fruit. This was really easy to switch to gluten-free. I have made gluten-free cinnamon rolls, but I have to admit they aren't quite as good as "regular".

For crackers, try Ener-G crackers or Blue Diamond almond thins. Envirokidz and Midel make animal crackers that my kids like.

For biscuits, I make the recipe from Betty Crocker with gluten-free flour and they taste great. I have also made the Gluten Free Pantry Country French Bread in muffin tins for rolls, even served them to company. I'm sure you could make half the batch at a time, since they don't keep too well.

I just made gluten-free scones, just like they serve at the fair, after dinner tonight. I posted the recipe last week, and I'm sure you could find it in the Baking Tips section.

I agree with the previous poster that keeping your whole household "mostly" gluten-free (we do, except for sandwich bread and occasional toast) is a good idea. And Kinnikinnick's "K-too's" (oreo type cookies) are fantastic.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great transitioning to gluten-free.

There is a cinnamon bread recipe in Roben Ryberg's GLuten-Free Kitchen--it's made from potato starch and cornstarch, and layered with cinnamon and brown sugar. I've tried it--it's pretty good. I brought it to a 4th of July party, didn't tell anyone it was gluten-free, and it disappeared quickly.

I think there might be cinnamon bread or roll recipe in Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Baking Classics, too. If not, use one of her muffin recipes and layer it with cinnamon and brown sugar. Her recipes are UNBELIEVABLY good, and quite easy. If you don't have her book, RUN and order it! It has a recipe for fantastic chocolate chip cookies that taste almost exactly like Tollhouse, and excellent breads and cakes that taste every bit as good as any gluteny kind I've ever had.

My kids like the Glutino crackers and the Schar crackers. They are expensive and I have to order them online but they look and taste like a regular saltine.

I recently made Pamela's Amazing Wheat and Gluten Free Bread mix into rolls. The recipe is on the bag. I buy that mix at Whole Foods and maybe at the regular grocery store.

The Gluten Free Pantry muffin mix is pretty good. Both of my daughters like the muffins with chocolate chips in them. I loved the banana muffins from that mix. Today I am making the pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips. The recipes for these are at http://www.gluten free.com/recipes.html. They are very easy and freeze well.

Pamela's Pancake and baking mix is very versatile. I make muffins and pancakes with it by the recipes on the side. Cause You're special is the best biscuit mix I've found. My son is very picky and I have a list of foods he likes. PM me if you want it.

For biscuits and cinnamon buns, we make 1-2-3 Gluten Free Southern Glory Biscuit Mix. I do have an interest in the company, but they are wonderful. check out the website, which has the recipes as well. www.123glutenfree.com Kim.

I know Frosties are gluten-free at Wendy's. If you are partial to another fast food place, you can check out their website, most of them seem to have a listing for food allergies, including gluten.

Thank you so much for all the ideas! One more question--what fast food places have gluten-free milkshakes? That would be a nice treat for her occasionally, I think!

I recommend http://www.jayrobb.com the egg white protein shakes taste like milkshakes when blended with crushed ice and almond milk... very yummy... and... very nutritious...

Guest nini

McDonald's shakes are gluten-free, and I believe that Arby's also has gluten-free milkshakes but you probably ought to double check that one... I don't have that info directly on hand.