Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest nini

New Addition To Family

Guest nini

I'm up here on the computer at quarter to 4 in the morning because we have a new kitty... he's not a kitten, not full grown, but our other two cats are UPSET... I'm playing referee at the moment. I suppose it would be easier to just put the new guy in the bathroom and let him rest but it's just going to prolong the adjustment period... My dog just thinks he's a play toy...

so how did we end up with this new kitty? My hubby was at work the other day and a lady came through his line and made a comment about trying to find a home for a kitty that her neighbors left when they moved out of her apartment complex. She already has two kitties and can't take in another one because of her security deposit and lack of space in the apartment. She has been feeding this little guy and said he was so sweet (she didn't lie, he's precious) So, my hubby, being the sweet guy he is, and he was already in a mood and missing our kitty Zekie that died recently, and it just seemed like perfect timing. We brought him home tonight, I still have to get him neutered asap but the lady who gave him to us also gave us some money to offset the cost of neutering him.

My hubby and my daughter named him Gizmo, he's probably about a year old, he's mostly white and orange, his eyes are the most unusual shade of gold I've ever seen. Earlier he curled up with me on the couch and fell sound asleep on me and the way he snuggles and cuddles reminds me so much of my Zekie (I miss him so much)... He fell asleep with us in our bed for a while, then when he got up to pee (litter box trained YAY!!!!) our kitty Buggy got all upset and I thought WW111 was going to start so I am here sitting out here making sure they don't hurt each other.. Things are calm right now (knock wood)... I'll post links to pics as soon as I can!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Nini :)

What a nice story! I'm so happy that Gizmo and you all found each other! Gizmo--what a cute name :D I can't wait to see pictures--your daughter must be so excited!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest melannen

He sounds absolutely adorable!! I have a cuddley kitty too, they're the best :D

And I love the name Gizmo!

I hope he settles in nicely. We added a foundling recently also and things got interesting a few times at first. We ended up needing to get yet another litter box, the new guy insisted on claiming one and would chase the others out then lay in it, even if used yuuch. We got another box and that seems to have helped. It shouldn't be long before everyone at your home is getting along and having some fun together.

Congratulations on the new addition.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I hope he settles in nicely. We added a foundling recently also and things got interesting a few times at first. We ended up needing to get yet another litter box, the new guy insisted on claiming one and would chase the others out then lay in it, even if used yuuch. We got another box and that seems to have helped. It shouldn't be long before everyone at your home is getting along and having some fun together.

Congratulations on the new addition.

Ravenwood,

So you decided to keep the cute grey kitty that used to be your avatar? I remember you said that you weren't sure what you were going to do--I'm glad you kept him! :) What's his name?

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Sounds like Gizmo has found a wonderful place to call home. Yes, get him neutered ASAP. He is old enough to start spraying. Once he feels like he is on his own turf and there are other pets around - that is when he will mark out his territory.

Good luck with the spats that will happen as everyone figues out where they are in the social status of the group :rolleyes: usually lots of noise but not much to the big display with cats unless they really have score to settle.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Nini congrats on the new addition..gizmo..so cool.

what decision did you make. sorry never got back to you. yesterday was the PITS FOR ME...

LET ME KNOW OK?

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

Nini,

He sounds cute. Can't wait to see pictures. :)

I love kitties....just can't have any where we live and with the baby.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest nini
Yikes! I'm always too late with this advise. But there's a right way and a wrong way to introduce new cats to a household. You can find the advise on the Internet. Just look for "introduce new cat". It really works. I have had wonderful results.

I've had cats all my life and have plenty of experience with introducing a new cat... things are going pretty good, when we aren't home we are keeping him confined... I got all the info to get him neutered at the local spay and neuter clinic, they open back up on Tue. so I will call then for an appt.

Judy, I didn't have to make a decision! I get the best of both worlds...I'll tell you about it later, remind me.

He is absolutely gorgeous. I love the name Gismo. Glad you got a new kitty.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Guest melannen

He's adorable!! I wish I could reach through the screen and cuddle him!!

What a beautiful cat! :D I miss having kitties. :(

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.