Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can'tEvenEatRice!

Mouthguards And Gluten?

Okay, I know this sounds crazy, but is there anyway that plastic nightguards used for teeth grinding could have gluten in the material? I have been feeling glutened for the past 6 months and keep trying to find sources of hidden gluten. I just can't find any. Now of course my problems could be other food intolerances because I have many, but the only thing I use everyday is a nightguard I purchased from my dentist. It is similar to a soft, molded sports mouthguard. Anyhow, I just wonder if it could possibly contain trace amounts of gluten when I grind my teeth at night. I know I am grasping at straws here, but it never hurts to ask. It is not flavored or anything. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi :)

I have a mouth guard that was made for me about a year before I was diagnosed. I never asked, but I don't believe they could have any gluten in them--they're acryllic. There would be no reason to put any gluten ingredients in it that I could see.

Having said that, I did worry a little about using it after I went gluten-free because I had used it before, when I was still eating gluten. Of course, I always brushed my teeth before using it--but I brushed it out very well with toothpaste and have not ever had a problem because of it.

If you are really concerned, and want to put your mind at ease, ask your dentist--they could check with the people who actually made the guard.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev