Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can'tEvenEatRice!

Do I Need To Replace Plastic Sippy Cups, Spoons, Bowls?

My 19 month old son just tested positive for gluten intolerance through Enterolab. I gave away all of his gluten foods to friends and replaced everything with gluten free items. I also washed out the cabinets and cleaned his high chair and stroller. I am gluten free also so most of the kitchen is gluten free anyway (except 1 loaf of bread my husband has). Then I was looking at his plastic sippy cup lids. They tend to scratch and shred a little at the spout since he rubs his teeth against them. Anyhow, can gluten get caught in the plastic even though they are washed in the dishwasher? He also uses small plastic bowls for snack and they have some scratches at the bottom and his baby spoons are the soft coated ones (he still eats some jarred foods). I went out and bought a bunch of new cups, bowls and spoons today but it cost a fortune. I have no problem spending the money if it is necessary, but if it really isn't, then I would like to take them back. I want to be careful, but not paranoid. What do you think? Is the dishwasher enough? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I threw out my scratched plastic bowls. I would think it would depend on what you served in them.

I don't know about the spoons, I had to buy new ones for my last one; sippy cups, I think I used a newer lid on the ones I have. I also bought some new ones. My oldest children still have sippy cups for night time drinking (water) and I didn't replace those. I will be curious about these answers.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I thought I would only need new lids, but I had to buy the cups to get the lids. Anyhow, I am still curious if anyone else has any thoughts before I open and wash everything. I wonder if there is any evidence that gluten can really "live" in scratches of plastic??

I would keep a couple of new ones and mark the lids and bases as being gluten-free. Try and use just those for a while, then try the old ones. You should be able to tell if he's reacting to anything that might be left in the scratches.

Best case scenario would be to replace everything just too be safe, but all that stuff really adds up. I didn't throw out much of our plastic stuff, but there were a few things that I did throw out.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb