This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Period, Increase In Itching/ Gluten Binge Help.

SarahTorg

SarahTorg Apprentice

I've been visiting the board for a while and reading what I can.

I have a question about going gluten free.

If I am gluten free for a month or more, but eat something with gluten in it does the amount of time I have to wait for my rash to go away even longer?

Last month I got my period, and went on a little bit of a binge. I've been suffering for years. You'd think I'd learn right??

I've been reading that dh can stay for quite some time even after stopping all gluten. Every time I cave, or accidently ingest something, I think I'll have to start all over with the maximum wait time.

Am I making any sense?

Or if I accidently eat a lick of something and I"m itching so bad and breaking out I go and eat more forbidden stuff. I'm suffering anyway, why not scarf down some more while Im at it.

I definately need help with this.

I went an entire two months with no gluten or dairy.

I'm still suffering quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure its due to eating too much salt. I cook with sea salt, but when I go out to eat, or over to families house they don't have sea salt.

See, right now I'm itching so bad, I feel like running to the bakery and grabbing an apple fritter..

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teebs in WV Apprentice

Sarah,

According to Dr. Peter Green's book, Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic", it can take up to two years after beginning a strict gluten-free diet to get everything out of your system and to get relief from DH. My advice to you - and it isn't easy - is just to quit cold turkey. That is what I did. I was a carb-freak before going DH. It was not easy for me at all - but I have not cheated once in a year, and I am very sure I can live the rest of my life on this diet. Compared to the excrutiating itching, this is nothing (for me, anyway). You just need to get it in your head that this is what you need to do. Not only for your itching, but also for the damage that may be occurring internally, that you are not aware of. I did not have any intestinal issues - just DH. But when my GI did a small intestine biopsy, there was definitely major damage.

Hang in there - I promise that it does get easier. After a few months on the diet you will realize that there are more things that you can eat, than those that you can't.

Take care,

Tracy

tarnalberry Community Regular

Salt *is* making your DH worse. The iodized salt anyway. Iodine is a necessary part of the reaction in skin, so, while you are having a DH 'outbreak', stay away from the iodized salt (and iodine-rich foods), to help minimze the itching.

Other than that, it's time to be firm with the diet. Not only are you giving yourself DH rashes, but your damaging your intestines and raising the risks of long term problems every time you eat gluten.

Archived