Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clbevilacqua

Pudding Recipe

Pudding mix is a snap to make-and the benefit is then you know exactly what's in it. Make sure you store the mixes is an airtight container (I like the "lock n lock" brand-it is truly airtight).

Vanilla Pudding Mix

2-1/3 cups granulated sugar

1-3/4 cornstarch

3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Store in an airtight 4-cup container in a cool, dry place. Use within 4 months. Stir mix before measuring to make pudding.

Chocolate Pudding Mix

1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

3-1/4 cups granulated sugar

1-1/3 cups cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Store in an airtight 6-cup container in a cool, dry place. Use within 3-4 months. Stir mix before measuring to make pudding.

To make vanilla pudding:

2 egg yolks

2/3 Vanilla Pudding Mix

2-3/4 cups milk

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1/1/2 teaspoons vanilla

In a medium bowl, beat eggs yolks; set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine pudding mix and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Stirring vigorously, slowly pour about half of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Stir egg-yolk mixture into remaining hot mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla until blended. Pour into dish(es) and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.

For chocolate pudding:

Substitute 1 cup Chocolate Pudding Mix for the Vanilla Pudding Mix. You can leave out the egg yolks in this recipe also, but it is not as rich of a flavor.

I hope this helps-it is really easy to have around. I actually pre-heat my milk in the microwave (since it can't burn in there) because I'm lazy and don't want to stand at the stove stirring for ten minutes while the milk heats (I'm a bum-what can I say)

God Bless you and yours!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for sharing these :)

Any suggestions for the vanilla extract? Since many use alcohol, that may not be safe. I need something sugar-free too, which I'd hope isn't hard to find.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks for sharing these :)

Any suggestions for the vanilla extract? Since many use alcohol, that may not be safe. I need something sugar-free too, which I'd hope isn't hard to find.

McCormack vanilla extract is gluten free - I spoke to someone in customer service there.

Gluten Free Pantry has an excellent vanilla. You can also make your own. Split 1 vanilla bean per shot of gluten-free vodka. Put in a glass jar, cap it and let sit for about 4-6 months for fullest flavor. The vanilla flavor is stronger in homemade so you can generally use less if you want. And you can substitute Splenda in the pudding recipe.

Gluten Free Pantry has an excellent vanilla. You can also make your own. Split 1 vanilla bean per shot of gluten-free vodka. Put in a glass jar, cap it and let sit for about 4-6 months for fullest flavor. The vanilla flavor is stronger in homemade so you can generally use less if you want. And you can substitute Splenda in the pudding recipe.

Thanks. That's an interesting idea - making my own. I was wondering about that but figured it would be more work than it was worth. I guess it's easy after all! Incidentally, any suggestions for buying just one bean? I never looked for that LOL.

As for the sweetener, I'm probably gonna use Stevia. If you haven't heard of it, check it out here: http://www.stevia.net/

There is also rice syrup, though right now that seems like a better replacement for corn syrup or honey than for sugar.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I haven't tried stevia in the recipe. I use it in drinks and such, but not for baking. Xylitol would probably work too as it bakes much like sugar-you just have to watch that you don't eat all the pudding at once. Rice syrup would probably work although I don't know the exchange ratio. Corn syrup would alter the taste.

As to vanilla beans-our Whole Foods and regular grocery stores have spices in bulk-you can buy just one or two that way. Just make sure you get a good quality bean that is dark in color! And you want the whole bean in the vodka (so a tall thin bottle or bend it a little).