Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kim

Egg Substitutes

Anyone have a good substitute for eggs in brownies and cakes? I'm not having much luck with the egg replacer or the flax seed. Thanks for any ideas.

Kim.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My favorite egg replacer is 1 1/2T. water, 1 1/2T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder = 1 egg. It works well for up to 2 eggs.

I have also used 1/4 c. applesauce = 1 egg

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

If I may add to Cheri's list:

1 egg

= 2 tablespoons oil plus 1 tablespoon water

or

= 1 teaspoon constarch lus 3 tablespoons more liquid in recipe

I got this info from a book titled Substituting Ingredients: An A to Z Kitchen Reference by Becky Sue Epstein and Hilary Dole Klein. It's very helpful for substituting all sorts of ingredients, plus has guidelines for subsituting dried herbs for fresh, has lists of measurement equivalents, and recipes for natural, homemade cleaning products.

Michelle

My egg-free brownie recipe is more cake-like than regular brownies, but works well with the Ener-G egg replacer. I use maple syrup for the sweetener, so that helps too. Another idea is using unflavored gelatin - sorry I can't remember off-hand how much right now.

Perhaps finding a different recipe that has a different texture anyway would work? It's very hard to get egg replacers to duplicate certain tastes and textures.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13