Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

2005 Toyota Camry

I'm helping my DH shop for a new (used) car. He is specifically looking for a Camry if we find what we want, at the price we want. Can any of you that may own a Camry say in the last four years post if you like it, don't and why? So far we have found a '04 and '05 model that might work. Most reviews I've found are positive with the biggest complaint being that the seats are not comfortable for long road trips. For trips longer than 2 hours we take my car so this is not a concern for us. Thanks if anyone can chime in with their Camry review!

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't have the answer for the car, sorry. I tried to PM the answer to your question though, and your box was full. :)

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

love my 2005 Camry (6 cylinder, 24 Valve)...seats are so-so, the Chevrolet Malibu I looked at had less comfortable seats than the Camry and my husband, who is medim height felt camped in the drivers seat.

IMHO the only way to get good seats is to buy higher priced car, like a Buick Regal or the small Jaguar. The Corolla seats were uncomfortable too. The Altima and Ultima had a "stiff" ride, which is bad for driving in snowy roads.

One word of caution, all Toyota autos need regular and frequent oil changing to keep engine in tip-top condition. This will increase the performance and keep the car running longer.

My Ford Taurus had uncomfortable seats and hubby used to keep a chair pad in car to sit on while he drove it.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

IMHO the only way to get good seats is to buy higher priced car, like a Buick Regal or the small Jaguar. The Corolla seats were uncomfortable too. The Altima and Ultima had a "stiff" ride, which is bad for driving in snowy roads.

Actually you can also just fit new seats....if you want I'll ask my brother which cars have the same pin layout ... but its likely you can fit a Lexus seat for instance from a breaking yard. My brother fits replacement seats for disabled people which rotate out of the car and do lots of fancy stuff and he makes his own seats now... but when my uncle started the business 30 years ago they used seats from breakers yards....

You can also for instance fit a thinner seat as well (from a supra for instance) which will give more headroom.

One word of caution, all Toyota autos need regular and frequent oil changing to keep engine in tip-top condition. This will increase the performance and keep the car running longer.

Yep but if you do they just keep going on forever.... Im not a huge toyota fan for thhe drining experience but for something to run around and start every time you turn the key they are very reliable so long as the services are done.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

My experience doesn't quite fit your request, but I'll toss in my .02

I have a 2000 Camry and I love it....it just keeps going and going and going. We've done regular maintenance but it has needed no repairs just new brakes and new tires.

A couple of years ago we looked into a new one, but the seats were not as comfortable so I just stayed with my 2000. The 2007s are out and the new seats are comfortable. We're looking at an '07 now. All of this to say...we bought a Camry, have loved it and will definitely be repeat buyers. If the seats are a non-issue for you, I think you'll be very happy.

My 2000 Camry was the first Toyota either of us ever had. I know why the Camry is such a popular vehicle! I may never drive anything else. Great car for the price.

Ok, well, that's more than .02 *climbing down and packing away the soap box*

I own a 1997 Camery and it is a wonderful car. I've made a trip across Canada with it and it was fine (PEI to Alberta).

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Thanks everyone. The seats are a non issue for my husband and it's his car. We would only take his car to TN (two hour drive) and we'd take my car on any longer trips than that. We can't take his current car out of town because I don't think it's reliable and the seats in it are so worn out that it's like sitting on cardboard (I'm not exaggerating).

My DH would never buy a new car so the 2007 is out and the 2006 is just over the budget since we're paying cash there is no wiggle room in the budget so we'll have to get the 2004 or 2005. I found several of both models around town and if there still available Sat. we'll probably buy one of them. The good thing about a Camry is that there are so freakin' many of them (since they're a top seller) that the market is always flooded with them here so if you want a used one, you're really in a good place to negotiate the price down.

Okay - you've all sold me that indeed we should stick to the Camry. I read a lot of reviews on it's comparable competitors and only the Honda topped it in one area - resale value. Since my DH drives his cars until the repairs cost more than the car's worth, resale value means nothing to him. :lol:

I recommend that you also look at a 2005 Honda Accord.

I had an Accord for years and it treated me well. The difference between it and a Camry is the steering (Honda has the speed sensitive steering so its a tighter feel) and I like Honda's seats better.

My mom has a 2003 Camry and loves it. It has never given her a problem.

The two best cars for the pricr in the market for medium sedans are the Camry and the Accord. Both will last you for 200,000 miles and stay out of the shop.

My 2 Cents

Yes, the Accord was the other car we were considering but I like the look of the Camry so much better. I'm a bit of a car snob and my DH would drive a wreck if I let him. Growing up we had a new demo every six months so for me to keep a car for three years is quite difficult. The other day I drove around a parking lot to find a newer Accord and a newer Camry so I could look at them in person together, not just online. Camry wins hands down and is a great car too and since I have a Lexus (made by Toyota) we'll keep it all in the family so to speak. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to share your car info. It really did help!

I'm helping my DH shop for a new (used) car. He is specifically looking for a Camry if we find what we want, at the price we want. Can any of you that may own a Camry say in the last four years post if you like it, don't and why? So far we have found a '04 and '05 model that might work. Most reviews I've found are positive with the biggest complaint being that the seats are not comfortable for long road trips. For trips longer than 2 hours we take my car so this is not a concern for us. Thanks if anyone can chime in with their Camry review!

I've only ever owned toyotas... and two of my toys were camry... what a great car... very reliable... long lasting... and a high resale value... you really can't go wrong w/ toyotas... my dad has been selling them for over 20 years and they are very awesome...

Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT

Venus Bodyworks Personal Training

and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...

are you ready to transform yours?"

We ended up getting a 2005 Camry a few weeks ago. It's wonderful...lots of bells and whisles which I love but DH does not. He's rather odd that way. He doesn't even use his remote to unlock the car so the other day he went out to the car from Publix and he could not get in the car with his key. Why? Because it was not his car of course! That'll teach him to use the freakin' remote - lol!

Anyway, this was just to say thanks again for all the car advice. I'm so happy to have a reliable car for short trips now (besides mine) and I have to agree that Camry's seats are it's only downfall so far. My car is like a posturpedic feel compared to the Camry.... a 2 hour trip will be fine but I'm not so sure about a 5 hour one.