Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRUMI1968

Temporary Cessation Of All Sugars, Including Fruit

Day 2 of no sugar, including fruit and starchy veggies/carbs. I have just been so bloated that I'm thinking maybe bad bacteria are munching on the sugars and then belching a lot, leading me to...well...you get the picture.

I'm also eating lots of onions, since they help to kill off yeasties. I'm not too keen on taking pills....but does anyone have any other ideas about killing yeast and BAD bacteria? Thanks.

or ideas about coping with a complete lack of carbs in one's diet to the point where one can barely walk back up the driveway from the mailbox?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Actually, garlic is even better than onions in killing off yeast. You shouldn't go without carbs altogether. Make sure you eat lots of vegetables, and include ones that contain carbs, like rutabaga, carrots, squash etc. (potatoes are too starchy right now). Also, you shouldn't cut out all fruit. I think apples are still okay (in moderation).

Are you doing this under the supervision of a doctor? A naturopath or homeopath would be the best choice. They could first of all give you natural medicine to kill yeast, and give you better guidelines on what to eat and not to eat.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you considered probiotics?

I strongly recommend checking them out! I have had a very good experience with them....

Good luck!

H : )

Day 2 of no sugar, including fruit and starchy veggies/carbs. I have just been so bloated that I'm thinking maybe bad bacteria are munching on the sugars and then belching a lot, leading me to...well...you get the picture.

I'm also eating lots of onions, since they help to kill off yeasties. I'm not too keen on taking pills....but does anyone have any other ideas about killing yeast and BAD bacteria? Thanks.

or ideas about coping with a complete lack of carbs in one's diet to the point where one can barely walk back up the driveway from the mailbox?

Probiotics, coconut oil, onion, galic (I take pills), there are other things you can buy at the health food store to detox yeast -- I'm thinking it may be caprylic acid, but ask first as it's been a while for me.

If being no carb is bothering you, eat something not sugary -- like someone suggested, starchy veggies. It's better to eat some potato every day than to feel so bad. The die off is going to make you feel bad, too, so if you eat a carb and slow it down some it might be more comfortable.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Probiotics kill yeast and also saurkraut, if you're dairy intolerant. :)

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

Okay.

I eat lots of raw sauerkraut, but I'll add probiotics.

I eat squash and sweet potato, so I think I'm better this time than last time with the energy thing.

Garlic hits me the wrong way, so I avoid that pretty well...but eat lots of onions.

I have not yet considered pills/medicine to kill yeast ... but will think on that. I'm not even sure I have a yeast problem, I am just going on yucky tongue, gas/bloat, and energy issues.

Now my problem is INSANE gas, and not pleasant to the nose either -- this is not normally an issue for me. I also have constant intestinal cramping. I'm pooping about every other or every third day - usually the start is fine, but the ending is not exactly well-formed.

ARG!!!!

Well, I'll try you all's advice and see if we get anywhere. I'm also thinking that going raw for a while might help -- don't know why, just seems possible. (I had spinach salad for breakfast.)

Thanks everyone.

Garlic hits me the wrong way, so I avoid that pretty well...but eat lots of onions.

Many times this is because of the yeast. People with yeast usually don't like onions either.

Add coconut oil to what you're already doing, it's not a pill.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I have been yeast and sugar free for about 3 weeks and have lost 9 pounds. I follow the candida control diet plan and it seems to be working. It is alot more restrictive then wheat free. It means eating so many vegetables and quality protien and limited carbs, no fruit and nothing with sugar in it. I gained 13 pounds after going gluten free and I did not eat gluten free substitutes after diagnosis. I was working out, lifting weights and doing an hour of cardio 5-6 days a week and nothing. I tried this and the weight is finally coming off. I even went back to the gym and starting weight lifting again. I stopped for a while becasue nothing I was doing was working so I figured why bust my botty working out when nothing was working. I started losing wieght about 4 years ago and had lost 75 pounds by working out and Atkins and then it stopped about 2 years ago and I have been trying everything since then and I think I finally found what I need to do. It might be worth looking into. I would recommend checking out http://www.wholeapproach.com/ for more information.

Good Luck,

Nicole

I eat lots of raw sauerkraut, but I'll add probiotics.

I eat squash and sweet potato, so I think I'm better this time than last time with the energy thing.

I have not yet considered pills/medicine to kill yeast ... but will think on that. I'm not even sure I have a yeast problem, I am just going on yucky tongue, gas/bloat, and energy issues.

Now my problem is INSANE gas, and not pleasant to the nose either -- this is not normally an issue for me. I also have constant intestinal cramping . . . I'm also thinking that going raw for a while might help -- don't know why, just seems possible. (I had spinach salad for breakfast.)

MANY people have problems digesting raw vegies like cabbage, onions and garlic. I previously used BEANO to prevent gas and bloating pain, before they added Mannitol to Beano. I react badly to all alcohol derived artificial sweetners like sorbitol, etc. Now I use EXCUSEME, a chewable enzyme supplement which helps digest difficult to digest onion and cabbage family vegies, as well as beans. However, I didn't even take that when I did 3 weeks of the very limited Candida diet. I would also suggest drinking Pau D'Arco tea which is a good antifungal and cooked garlic (I couldn't tolerate raw).

I second URSULA's suggestion that you see a naturopath to determine whether you actually have Candida. When I first saw my naturopath, he said my symptoms sounded like Candida. However he gave me a comprehensive stool bacteria, yeast and parasite test as well as the ELISA test for allergies (IgG and IgE mediated) to 100 different foods. After my first visit, before I learned my test results, but after hearing my doctor's guess about Candida, I decided to go on the very restrictive antiCandida diet (no yeast, molds, vinegars, fruits, low carb, no sugars). I'm not overweight and added oil and fats to EVERYTHING so I would NOT lose weight, but I still lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks of carefully following that anticandida diet.

However, when my test results came back, my candida levels were normal, but I had a bad Klebsiella infection and absolutely NO bifidobacteria (good bacteria). I also learned that I had 2 other allergies (egg and cane sugar) in addition to gluten intolerance, milk and soy allergies (which I learned 2 years ago). So the anticandida diet helped me feel better, because I cut out the cane sugar, but I was still eating eggs, which made me constipated and bloated. Most of all the Klebsiella infection influenced chronic cramping pains in my gut.

My lab test results also indicated which drugs or herbal supplements would treat my particular strain of Klebsiella. So we didn't have to guess. I chose Caprylic acid, because I get bad side effects from most drugs. After 2 weeks on high dose Caprylic acid and 4 weeks of super high dose probiotics, I have no bloating, very little gas, normal stools and NO MORE PAIN.

If you really do have Candida, your particular strain may be resistant to some drugs or herbal treatments. Many people with Candida struggle for years, going on and off Candida diets, trying this and that, without every getting the Candida under control. Instead of guessing or prolonged discomfort from symptoms or deprivation from restrictive diets, I suggest you see a naturopath who will actually TEST you for Candida, preferably with a stool test which you send to a reputable (quality control tested) lab, which will tell you exactly what meds or herbal treatments will treat your particular strain of yeast or bacteria.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I'm sure you're right. I'm going to get tested for it. meanwhile, I'm on a 80-90% raw diet...which is helping quite a bit. If nothing else it's giving my system a break. I don't seem to have any problems digesting the raw foods, at least not thus far, though they all end up tasting like fresh salsa (which, thankfully, tastes good.).

Thanks all.

Suzanne Somer's endocrinologist said when your body is healing you will gain weight. It's temporary and when it's better the weight will come off. Nothing was causing a weight loss for me except giving up grains and not eating so many nuts. So I'm going low carb. Now I'm sick with a sinus infection and on antibiotics. I feel so bloated. I take probiotics and I force myself to eat saurkraut.

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49