This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You're Know You're A Celiac If...

chgomom

Rusla Enthusiast

I had a miserable dream that people were holding me down and feeding me gluten. I woke up crying it was so awful. So, I can relate to that a whole lot.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
amber-rose Contributor
OMG Amber, right with you there on those kind of doughnuts, right down to the raspberry filling, my favorite!!! i think that's at the very top 10 of my list of things i miss, since there is no way to make a gluten-free recipe for THAT!!! I think that's god's way of punishing me for saying to a celiac boss once ten years before i was gluten-free that i didn't think i could never eat another doughnut. guess i was stronger than i thought!!

Haha, yeah, they're my favorite too! Everyday I crave one of those!! Atleast, Kinnikinnick has some doughnuts. But they're not like that rasberry-filled delciousness. :P

gflibrarian Newbie

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one with food fantasies and imaginary lists! One day I found myself driving thinking about what I would have if I could have a one time chance at having something with gluten. Pizza, canoli, krispy kreme anyone? Really though, if anyone ever knows of a gluten-free canoli, I would---well, everyone knows that I would cry, kiss you- hell, just be so thankful!

Thanks for the list, I'm going to share it with my gluten-free sister.

bremac Apprentice

Preface: Only a few of my classmates know I have celiac disease and I am generally very private about it until people "need to know."

You know you have celiac disease when....

After a tough exam, a classmate comes over and tries to stick a cookie in your mouth to cheer you uo and you're so tired that instead of just saying "no thankyou" like you usually do when people unknowingly offer you gluten, you say "I can't eat that" and he says (while continuing to try to feed it to me:P) "yes you can, you're tiny!" thinking that I was on a weight loss diet or something :blink: Luckily one of my good friends walked over at that point and helped me out.

kalanfan Explorer

...when you have a wishlist of gluten free foods you want to order off the internet...

brendygirl Community Regular

If you feel like you've regressed on the evolutionary scale...back to hunter and gatherer.

If your boyfriend ordered the famous pancake-bigger-than your head and when the waitress finds out you can't have any says to you, Boy is he a jerk!

If you've tipped a waitress/waiter who accommodated you successfully almost as much as the check total

If you've been told you are "blessed" to have a disease that keeps you thin.

If you know what your stomach feels and looks like 6 mos. pregnant, even tho you've never been

emcmaster Collaborator

.... if you've ever bought maternity clothes to hide your enormously bloated belly

.... if every day that you wake up to another good day of no glutening symptoms, you want to shout from the rooftops

.... if you bring your own food to an extremely formal political dinner

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MistressIsis Apprentice
If you've been told you are "blessed" to have a disease that keeps you thin.

I HATE that one...my overweight family members have said, Oh maybe I should try your diet! Then they give up after 2 days.

- Your housemate comes home form a catering job & is thrilled to tell you how someone came in needing a gluten-free meal, explained everything to the chef and then my friend reiterated everything after the guest left and added some info (cc) and was thrilled that chef knew that because "they'd had some problems with it before"

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

Just wanted to thank you all of the laughs. My DS and DH are the ones who have celiac but I can identify with a lot of it because I am the one preparing the food, shopping, and reading the labels, etc. Here are some to add . . .

You pick your son's friends by who has a mom who will only feed him "safe" snacks.

You celebrate when the poop in the diaper actually can be dumped in the toilet--solid at last!

:) Kendra

Kristen2Denise Apprentice

This is the funniest thread ever!!! :D

I smell all kinds of gluten filled things all the time...friends and family know they have to put their plate in my face before eating so I can get a sniff!

MistressIsis Apprentice

LOL! Kristen! I do the same thing!

Walk down the bread & packaged yummies aisle just for the smell

SarahTorg Apprentice

You feel like you've just won the lottery when you find some gluten free pasta in a discount grocery store for 44 cents a package!

AND you call your husband up to tell about it. LOLOL

Oh, and just this morning I was putting some gluten cookies in a baggie for my husband, and I slowly inhaled their sweet, gluteny smell before sealing the bag.

I do that with his bread too. I probably shouldn't even be sniffing it.

Or if you are preparing someone elses gluten food, you wash your hands off before touching anything else in the kitchen. Yeah, its like a disease..

emcmaster Collaborator
Or if you are preparing someone elses gluten food, you wash your hands off before touching anything else in the kitchen. Yeah, its like a disease..

That's actually really important to do. If you were to transfer crumbs from his gluteny food to the fridge door and then later you touched the fridge door and then ate something, you could transfer gluten from his food to the fridge door to your hands to your food to your mouth.

Yes, it's a pain, but there's actually a reason we do it - to avoid cc.

aikiducky Apprentice

Don't know if this got mentioned yet...

...you find rice cake crumbs EVERYWHERE :ph34r::blink::D

Pauliina

who just finished vacuuming...

casnco Enthusiast
This is the funniest thread ever!!! :D

I smell all kinds of gluten filled things all the time...friends and family know they have to put their plate in my face before eating so I can get a sniff!

That is so funny! I do the same thing. I was just in Venice, Italy and I made my travel companion eat pizza so I could smell it. Sounds kind of kinky doesn't it?

jaten Enthusiast
you pay relatives back east exorbitant shipping rates to send you a $12 six pack of Gluten-free beer.

...you wonder if you can pay the "back east relatives" of a forum-mate you've never met exorbitant shipping rates to send you a $12 six pack of Gluten-free beer.

...you and your spouse sit on the couch reading this thread together, and both of you laugh knowingly

CarlaB Enthusiast

You know you're a celiac if ...

You understand the jokes on this thread!

Anteau25 Apprentice

... You get nervous that you ingested gluten because you blew wind ONCE even though in reality it was from all the beans you ate earlier!

Jestgar Rising Star

...You are THRILLED that you now have an excuse not to go to all those community fund-raiser breakfasts. (For all us introverts).

kbtoyssni Contributor

You have a panic attack when your manager puts the meeting sign-in sheet on the table next to the bagels and donuts... And you spend a good five minutes trying to figure out if you should ask a coworker to sign in for you or email your manager to tell him you were there before finally signing the sheet... using your own pen of course and being ever so careful not to touch the table or the paper... which means your name is practically illegable but you don't care because it means you avoided touching the gluten crumbs!

Kristen2Denise Apprentice
That is so funny! I do the same thing. I was just in Venice, Italy and I made my travel companion eat pizza so I could smell it. Sounds kind of kinky doesn't it?

That is me to a T!!!

Lyza Jay Newbie

This has made be cry, both from laughter and just joy that people understand where i am coming from!

... you can read an ingredient label with over 100 ingredients in 10 seconds flat.

... you tell people you have a wheat "allergy" so that they will take you more seriously.

thanks everyone!

CarlaB Enthusiast
This has made be cry, both from laughter and just joy that people understand where i am coming from!

... you can read an ingredient label with over 100 ingredients in 10 seconds flat.

... you tell people you have a wheat "allergy" so that they will take you more seriously.

thanks everyone!

WELCOME, Lyza Jay!!

... you know what all the ingredients on a 100 ingredient list are derived from!!

Guest CD_Surviver

you have to ask someone where the wheat flour is b/c you never have to buy but all of the sudden you need for a non gluten-free family member

you forget to get gluten hamburger buns b/c you don't eat them

MWD Newbie
...... you carry an ingredient list everywhere you go :( at least I do... hah

...... you buy cookies at a water store

......you need a bigger fanny pack for all the new forbidden & safe lists you find to print to carry with you

Archived