This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Results

Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I have seen so many posts go by in the past few months with people's lab results. And now it's finally my turn!

Help me interpret this in an incredibly easy-to-understand way, please...

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 116 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Interpretation of Fecal Antigliadin IgA: Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have active dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your relatives screened as well.

Interpretation of Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA: You have an autoimmune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity.

Interpretation of Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: A fecal fat score less than 300 indicates there is no malabsorbed dietary fat in stool indicating that digestion and absorption of nutrients is currently normal.

Interpretation of Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody: Levels of fecal IgA antibody to a food antigen greater than or equal to 10 are indicative of an immune reaction, and hence immunologic “sensitivity” to that food. For any elevated fecal antibody level, it is recommended to remove that food from your diet. Values less than 10 indicate there currently is minimal or no reaction to that food and hence, no direct evidence of food sensitivity to that specific food. However, because 1 in 500 people cannot make IgA at all, and rarely, some people can still have clinically significant reactions to a food antigen despite the lack of a significant antibody reaction (because the reactions primarily involve T cells), if you have an immune syndrome or symptoms associated with food sensitivity, it is recommended that you try a strict removal of suspect foods from your diet for up to 12 months despite a negative test.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: Although you do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.

thank you!

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Really? No one? C'mon, I really need it dumbed down!

:unsure:

CarlaB Enthusiast

Sorry, missed this this morning.

You are having a reaction to gluten and an autoimmune reaction. Your absorption is fine. You also are reacting to casein.

You do not have the celiac genes, but two genes for gluten sensitivity which can make it so you are very sensitive to gluten.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Thank you, Carla!

what does that mean when you say I'm having an autoimmune reaction?

CarlaB Enthusiast

It means that not only is your immune system trying to destroy the gluten, it's trying to destroy you as well. That's my simplistic understanding of it :P

Matilda Enthusiast

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
I've nothing to add, just that I agree with everything Carla said.

Congratulations on getting your results, kind of. :unsure:

Best wishes,

Matilda

Yeah...that was my first impression. "Wow. It's not THAT bad! I think..."

I am going to continue with the gluten-free diet and start a cleansing diet via the MediClear supplement in the next week or two. This ends up being an elimination diet of sorts, as well.

I am still having a lot of trouble with my stomach and brain fog and exhaustion and general achiness, so hopefully this will help sort some of that out. If nothing else, it's a nice 3 week vacation for my digestive system which I think would benefit anyone.

However, what I am interpreting from these results is that there's really no damage that's been done to my intestines. And that makes me feel better - especially when I make a mistake!

I already knew I was lactose sensitive...can anyone explain the difference between lactose sensitive and the whole casein thing? Am I damaging myself whenever I eat dairy or is it just making me feel ucky?

Either way, giving up dairy will be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

If anyone is interested on more info involving MediClear/UltraClear Sustain and their cleansing/detox diets let me know and I will start a post once I start the diet. For general info visit thorne.com and search for MediClear (the patient product guide will turn up).

Thanks!

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

Courtney,

Sorry, I hadn't seen this this morning either. I usually look for enterolab result postings.

Carla has already answered everything, just wanted to add that those numbers mean gluten and dairy free for life.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Courtney, casein is a permanent intolerance like gluten is, lactose intolerance can go away. The thought is that casein can cause damage to the intestines much like gluten can. I have the same symptoms with casein as I do with gluten, so I would guess as you give it up completely, you will start to feel better. Be careful, lots of "dairy-free" products actually have casein. :blink:

I would be VERY cautious about detoxing right now. Your body will detox naturally as it heals and at a speed it can handle. You might not be ready for an intense detox yet. I am eating nothing but meat, eggs, vegetables, and a little fruit. I"m also having two servings of potatoes or rice (sometimes in the form of pasta or bread), per day. I drink herbal teas, sometimes detox tea, lots of water, take far infrared saunas daily. I also take supplements. Even though I'm not doing a detox program, I still have some discomfort from it.

I would eat a healing diet, then when you're feeling better, do the detox. You might just release toxins faster right now than your kidneys and liver are ready to handle. I know you're excited to start feeling better, as we all are, but I'd be careful about detoxing right now.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Courtney, casein is a permanent intolerance like gluten is, lactose intolerance can go away. The thought is that casein can cause damage to the intestines much like gluten can. I have the same symptoms with casein as I do with gluten, so I would guess as you give it up completely, you will start to feel better. Be careful, lots of "dairy-free" products actually have casein. :blink:

I would be VERY cautious about detoxing right now. Your body will detox naturally as it heals and at a speed it can handle. You might not be ready for an intense detox yet. I am eating nothing but meat, eggs, vegetables, and a little fruit. I"m also having two servings of potatoes or rice (sometimes in the form of pasta or bread), per day. I drink herbal teas, sometimes detox tea, lots of water, take far infrared saunas daily. I also take supplements. Even though I'm not doing a detox program, I still have some discomfort from it.

I would eat a healing diet, then when you're feeling better, do the detox. You might just release toxins faster right now than your kidneys and liver are ready to handle. I know you're excited to start feeling better, as we all are, but I'd be careful about detoxing right now.

So the level 12 for the casein test indicates casein intolerance (because it is above 10). For all intensive purposes, can I just think of casein in the same way as gluten, in that it's very damaging to my system and is likely giving me the same symptoms? Do I remember reading somewhere that dark chocolate is casein free? That'd be great.

What does the difference between the two numbers mean - 12 for casein and 20 for gluten. I understand the whole, 'you can't be just a little bit pregnant' thing, but I guess I'm just wondering why one is higher than the other. Especially because I'd been gluten-free for two months when I took the test, and never went dairy free. Yes, I'm maknig a meager attempt at rationalizing. I will soon accept my fate. but I really am curious about the difference between the numbers.

Thanks for your patience in answering all my questions Carla!

-Courtney

CarlaB Enthusiast

Courtney,

I rationalized the casein and kept consuming it. I was almost three months gluten-free, and look how high my gluten number was! Plus, I did feel better off the gluten, but I kept getting glutened and looking for the "hidden" gluten. It finally dawned on me that I had consumed dairy each time I got "glutened." Then I realized that I had to get off the casein as well. I don't recommend doing it my way ... get better sooner!

There are great chocolate bars that are dairy-free called Tropical Source. They are really wonderful. You have to read each chocolate bar, just because it's dark doesn't mean it's dairy-free. Enjoy Life also makes chocolate chips that are very good as well.

You can use Ghee, it's clarified butter, so there's no casein. I also use coconut oil instead of butter, way more often than ghee.

Almond and soy milk are good substitutes for milk.

Feel free to keep asking questions .... that's why we're all here -- to support each other!

Edit-- I just looked at your question again. I don't know. The best thing to do would be to call Enterolab, they are happy to explain.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Courtney,

I rationalized the casein and kept consuming it. I was almost three months gluten-free, and look how high my gluten number was! Plus, I did feel better off the gluten, but I kept getting glutened and looking for the "hidden" gluten. It finally dawned on me that I had consumed dairy each time I got "glutened." Then I realized that I had to get off the casein as well. I don't recommend doing it my way ... get better sooner!

There are great chocolate bars that are dairy-free called Tropical Source. They are really wonderful. You have to read each chocolate bar, just because it's dark doesn't mean it's dairy-free. Enjoy Life also makes chocolate chips that are very good as well.

You can use Ghee, it's clarified butter, so there's no casein. I also use coconut oil instead of butter, way more often than ghee.

Almond and soy milk are good substitutes for milk.

Feel free to keep asking questions .... that's why we're all here -- to support each other!

Edit-- I just looked at your question again. I don't know. The best thing to do would be to call Enterolab, they are happy to explain.

Carla -

So just to clarify, casein is only found in cow's milk, right? So I can still have feta and...well cheeses that are not based on cow's milk? And then rice milk because everything I've heard about soy lately has been really bad, so I'd rather stay away from it if I can.

Once you went casein free, how long was it before you noticed a difference? I realize this is different for everyone, but just out of curiosity...

Ooh, also. How do you read lables for casein? If not everything dairy free is casein free, then what will they have written on the label that will tell me that?

I think I'll call Enterolab tomorrow and see if they can answer my question about the difference in the numbers.

Thank you so much!

Courtney

CarlaB Enthusiast

No, casein is also in goat's milk. I was hoping for the same thing ....

I am actually still struggling. In addition to being ill, we also had a very stressful move (Ugh, we moved here, our house didn't sell, we moved back, house finally sold, we moved back, then our family was split for months waiting till our oldest graduated HS ...). Anyway, my adrenals are fatigued, and this has actually been harder for me to correct than the food intolerances ... so, I'm still not feeling well ...

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Aww, man... :angry: I like feta cheese...this is turning into WAY too many losses for just one night!

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well...I hate moving. I have moved an average of once a year for the past five years. (Granted, I'm in my early 'transient' 20s) I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary in this particular apartment, and I'm ecstatic! Everytime I move I get rid of more things, and I'm starting to run out of things!

I got the book you recommended on Adrenal Fatigue and have started to page through it. It looks like there are some really good and simple ideas in there, so I'm excited to actually read it.

Do you have any recommendations for casein label reading or can you point me to a website that can give me the basics? (If it's on this website, I'm going to feel really stupid...)

- Courtney

CarlaB Enthusiast

Oh, that book was wonderful!!! I'm doing all that stuff!! I have my ups and downs, doc said I would ... this week so far has been a down week. She said to look at it this way, when I reach another down time, I've completed another cycle ... you know how you were healthy, then sick, then healthy, then it got to the point you were sick more than healthy? Well, the healing is the same way, eventually, you are healthy more than sick ... then finally, you'll think, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've been sick." This explanation is helping me be more positive about the downtime!

Right now I'm not eating any processed food, so it's easy for me! With the new labelling laws it should be easy, it will have milk listed in the allergen information. Even non-dairy creamers are starting to do this!!

Shalia Apprentice

Be careful on the rice milk. Rice Dream uses barley malt in their processing.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Be careful on the rice milk. Rice Dream uses barley malt in their processing.

Thanks for the warning, Shalia...why must the world conspire against those of us with food intolerances and make things so difficult?!? :blink:

when I reach another down time, I've completed another cycle ... you know how you were healthy, then sick, then healthy, then it got to the point you were sick more than healthy? Well, the healing is the same way, eventually, you are healthy more than sick ... then finally, you'll think, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've been sick." This explanation is helping me be more positive about the downtime!

Carla, I really like this description. Especially because looking back, I remember how I didn't used to feel sick all the time. And how gradually it snuck up on me and all the sudden I was.

Especially when I think about my headaches and how long I let it go because they came on so gradually. By the time I went to see the doctor about them, I was having borderline migraines an average of six days a week! How does anyone let it get that bad?!?

celiacgirls Apprentice

In answer to your question about the difference in scores from Enterolab, they will say it doesn't matter. I didn't want to believe it either but my daughter got a 285.5 for gluten and a 20 for casein and I see a huge difference in her mood when she has casein even in trace amounts. The only time she has reacted to gluten that I know of, she ate a whole cupcake and was tired and her tummy hurt.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
In answer to your question about the difference in scores from Enterolab, they will say it doesn't matter. I didn't want to believe it either but my daughter got a 285.5 for gluten and a 20 for casein and I see a huge difference in her mood when she has casein even in trace amounts. The only time she has reacted to gluten that I know of, she ate a whole cupcake and was tired and her tummy hurt.

I understand that either you are or you aren't...I guess I just don't see what the significance of the numbers is if a 12 is the same as a 20 is the same as a 285, ya' know?

How confusing!

Archived