Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Whopping Cough

I have recently come down with a very persistent, dry cough. I went to the doctor last night and he told me that he thought I had whooping cough based on my description of the onset and my symptoms. I had a coughing fit while in the office, so he was able to listen to my lungs and everything and hear the cough. He prescribed me an antibiotic to reduce the chance of spreading it and a heavy duty cough syrup, but I'm still finding it hard to sleep because of coughing fits. I have been sleeping upright, propped up by pillows. I do not have a humidifier nor do I wish to buy one (our humidity levels are high as it is). Has anyone been through this or have suggestions on how to get some sleep? I'm tired and stressed and grouchy and I don't think I can take one more sleepless night without falling apart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hmmmm...... don't know about Whooping cough in particular, but when my daughter was little, her asthma kept her coughing ALL night . . . cough syrup just didn't cut it. She would cough until she was eventually vomiting all night. The Pediatrician prescribed Tessalon Pearls. They're these tiny little "pearl -looking" pills. They kept her cough-free all night. It was really effective for her. They're still available by prescription. Maybe if you called your doctor and asked if they would help, he/she would prescribe them for you.

Also, I hope you start to feel MUCH better soon. That must be miserable.

Hugs to you and prayers for quick recovery (if you don't mind),

Love,

Lynne

xxxooo

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

I had whooping cough last year and used a personal steam vaporizer which really helps and then it supresses the cough enough for you to at least get to sleep. I just beat my way through it and had lots of coffee and coke.

Molly

I have recently come down with a very persistent, dry cough. I went to the doctor last night and he told me that he thought I had whooping cough based on my description of the onset and my symptoms. I had a coughing fit while in the office, so he was able to listen to my lungs and everything and hear the cough. He prescribed me an antibiotic to reduce the chance of spreading it and a heavy duty cough syrup, but I'm still finding it hard to sleep because of coughing fits. I have been sleeping upright, propped up by pillows. I do not have a humidifier nor do I wish to buy one (our humidity levels are high as it is). Has anyone been through this or have suggestions on how to get some sleep? I'm tired and stressed and grouchy and I don't think I can take one more sleepless night without falling apart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I find that warm drinks like tea (decaf) seem to help a little bit. If you drop in some honey and lemon, then you get the whole soothing thing going on. As for the insomnia, have you ever tried C-SPAN? Works like a charm for me! ;)

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est

My daughter's doctor prescribed a narcotic cough syrup when she had whooping cough. The first one did not work for her, but the 2nd stronger one did. Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.