• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I bought a box of Pria protein bars b/c I scanned the ingredients and they were OK and the allergen statement said nothing about wheat. Now that I have them at home, I see that it says that they are made on equipment that MAY process wheat.

Do any of you eat Pria bars? Would you eat these, with that statement? Usually my own personal "rule" is that I'll eat something if it says that it's made in a facility that also processes wheat, but I don't usually eat things that are made on the same equipment....

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinions!

- Lauren

i personally wouldn't have a problem trying it out and seeing how i feel. it depends on how sensitive you are. i haven't had a pria bar in so long! my fave was the mint chocolate one :) mmm, I might have to go out and get me some and see how i do with them...

Yes, Sweetfudge, would you like to be my guniea pig? ;)

My reactions are so unpredictable, I don't think I'd know for sure - if I did try your method.

Really though, beyond the whole Pria bar thing - I notice this allergy statement often. As I said, my general rule is that I WILL eat something "made in a facility...." but NOT something "made on shared equipment...." but I'm curious about what others do.

- Lauren

Really though, beyond the whole Pria bar thing - I notice this allergy statement often. As I said, my general rule is that I WILL eat something "made in a facility...." but NOT something "made on shared equipment...." but I'm curious about what others do.

- Lauren

Hi Lauren :)

I'm super sensitive so if the label says either 'made on the same equipment' or 'may contain traces of..' I won't go near it.

There are a very few processed things that I'll eat--the only way to see if there will be a reaction to those is to try. For me (and this may not be true for others), most of the time I end up reacting. :angry:

I do try products that have that warning and if I react I put them on the no-no list. Such as Lays Staxx - I've reacted twice to those so they're out. But I have had success with quite a few other products that have that warning - I have yet to react to a Trader Joe's product with that statement. So I suppose what I'm saying is you really wont know if you try.

Good Luck!

oh and as a side note, I am NOT super sensitive - not sure if you are or not, but could see why that would sway your decision.

Which kind of pria bars do you eat? I thought they all contained gluten. Are these the Complete Nutrition Bars?

Pria 110 plus Chocolate Peanut Crunch, Creme Caramel Crisp, Double Choclate Cookie, French Vanilla Crisp, Lemon Delight, and Vanilla Chai all have barley malt and oats

100 Plus Mint Chocolate Cookie has oats

Grain essentials line - well, only oats and barley malt

Carb Select Caramel Nut Brownie and Peanut Butter Caramel Nut have oats

Carb Select Cookies and Caramel has barley malt and oats

Carb Select Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup *might* be ok

Interesting reading about them. I used to eat them before...

Stephanie