• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

gZimmiZ

Baking Pans & Wedding Cake

Rate this topic

What type of pan do you use for baking? Non stick, glass?

Everytime I bake a cake, especially white, they come out nice and brown around the edges but just about raw in the middle. I have checked the temp in my oven and it is correct. My daughter is getting married and I may be the one to bake the wedding cake, three tiers! I have found a baker in California but it is 3 hours from our home. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've used nonstick pans for both cakes (and muffins and bread) that I've made and so far they've all come out perfect (knock on wood!). I found that The Really Great Food Co. has a wonderful cake mix - I used the chocolate but their other stuff is great too.

What type of pan do you use for baking? Non stick, glass?

Everytime I bake a cake, especially white, they come out nice and brown around the edges but just about raw in the middle. I have checked the temp in my oven and it is correct. My daughter is getting married and I may be the one to bake the wedding cake, three tiers! I have found a baker in California but it is 3 hours from our home. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi I use metal pans and I cook them longer on a lower temp. You can also cover the top with foil if the edges or top brown, but the middle isn't done. We use gluten-free cake recipes for all sorts of cakes for every imaginable family function. We usually have made them from scratch, really liking Carol Fensters recipe books, however there are so many wonderful gluten-free mixes now a days, they are great too. We often serve a cake or something gluten-free to guests and they have no idea they are eating gluten free. We served a beautiful "football" birthday cake for our son's part last Sat evening and no one had a clue it was gluten free. chocolate with chocolate and white frosting with all the intricate decorating so it looked like a football! They loved it! I just call manufacturers and ask if a product is gluten-free, even from the grocery store. Hope this helps!

Annalise Roberts has a white cake that she designed for someones' wedding on this site. I have made it just to eat & it is wonderful....Depending on the wedding size you may want to triple it or more or just make a special one for the gluten-free people.

good luck

mamaw

The problem with baking cakes is that the edges bake faster than the middle-regardless of the pans. You need to slow down the baking of the edges. To do this you need thick cotton toweling strips whose width is cut the same as the height of your pans and are as long as your pan is around. Soak these strips in water and then run them lightly thru your fingers-don't wring them out. You want them to be as wet as possible without dripping. Wrap them tightly around the outside of the pans and secure with an all metal pin(s). Then bake your cakes as per directions. This will also help your cakes be more level when done as the hump in the middle is caused by the same issue (edges cooking faster) Good baking!

Forgot to mention-you can also buy these strips from Wilton-but it is just as easy to make your own.