This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Soup?

linds

linds Apprentice

Just wondering if anyone has any good recipes for homemade soup? Mainly for a chicken wild rice soup but any would be appreciate. Thank you. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have a long recipe thread in the recipes section (here) that you can search for that has a number of soup recipes in it, amongst others, a couple of variations on the chicken-rice theme. (It's a staple in my house. :) )

linds Apprentice

I can't seem to find that could you give me a bit more direction on exactly where it is. I am new to all of this including the website.

AndreaB Contributor

I found the thread for you.

Open Original Shared Link

linds Apprentice

thank you so much!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I make a quick "homemade" chicken and rice (or potaotes which ever I feel like) when I'm in the mood.

I alway have on hand the organic free range chicken broth (and gluten-free) by Pacific (I think Imagine makes one too). I pour it in a sauce pan and put in some onion slices, carrots, garlic (and 2 quartered red skins if I'm using potatoes), when the carrots and/or potato is soft I add in other veggies I've cut up, broccoli, peas, kale, corn, spices, and left over wild rice (if I'm not putting in potatoes) whatever I have on hand. I cook it then to get the veggies to the desired softness and serve. I do it in personal size so I get about a bowl and a half and it takes about 25 minutes tops!

Its easy, healthy, and tastes fantastic!

Susan

Guest Robbin
I make a quick "homemade" chicken and rice (or potaotes which ever I feel like) when I'm in the mood.

I alway have on hand the organic free range chicken broth (and gluten-free) by Pacific (I think Imagine makes one too). I pour it in a sauce pan and put in some onion slices, carrots, garlic (and 2 quartered red skins if I'm using potatoes), when the carrots and/or potato is soft I add in other veggies I've cut up, broccoli, peas, kale, corn, spices, and left over wild rice (if I'm not putting in potatoes) whatever I have on hand. I cook it then to get the veggies to the desired softness and serve. I do it in personal size so I get about a bowl and a half and it takes about 25 minutes tops!

Its easy, healthy, and tastes fantastic!

Susan

Susan, This is a great idea, and so good sounding. I missed just having a can of soup on hand to have with a sandwich for lunch. This is good for when it is just me at home-thank you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I get rotisserie chickens from Costco that are gluten-free. I don't know about Wegman's--you'll have to ask for an ingredient list. I know that Giant Eagle rotisserie chickens are marinated in soy sauce (thekind that has wheat starch), so those are out, but Costco's taste better anyway!

So I take all the meat off the bones, serve the meat or make chicken salad, and throw the bones in the crock-pot with sliced onions, carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, dill, parsley, garlic, etc. Cover with water and let it cook on high for at least 6 hours. DO NOT ADD SALT1 The rotisserie chicken has plenty of salt already.

Drain, refrigerate, skim off the fat (save to make gluten-free "matzoh" balls using potato flakes and potato starch), and you've got plenty of really good homemade broth. You can freeze it in plastic containers, pull out as needed!

Guest Robbin

Alison, a little off soup topic, but omgosh, please put up a recipe for matzo balls that you make, when you get a chance sometime. I would love to try to make some. Is it possible gluten-free?

gluten-free Matzo balls

This recipe is from someone named Sara who used to frequent the glutenfreeforum.

4 TBSP chicken fat (save a little in a tub in the freezer every time you make soup. You can also take chicken skin and/or fat from any raw or baked rotisserie chicken, put it in a frying pan, and cook it til the fat renders out)

4 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend

3/4 dried potato flakes

seasoning of your choice--I like dill, parsely, garlic powder, and onion powder, some people like ginger and nutmeg.

1. Blend eggs and chicken fat

2 add dry ingredients, mix well

3. Cover and let sit in fridge 20-30 minutes

4. fill a large pot of water and heat to boiling

5. Take mixture out of fridge and roll into ping-pong ball-size balls (NO LARGER--they swell up like mad)It's much easier if you grease your hands well with shortening or olive oil.

6. Drop into boiling water

7. Use long spoon to make sure none got stuck on the bottom

8. COVER POT, reduce heat to medium to medium-low, and cook for 35-40 minutes

9. Remove with slotted spoon

To freeze for later use, transfeer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet, freze until hard, tranfer to freezer bags.

THEY REALLY TASTE LIKE MATZO BALLS!

emcmaster Collaborator
cycler Contributor

The simplest chicken soup of all is to take two big quarters of a chicken (uncooked), add a carrot, a stalk of celery, some parsley and some dill (fresh) in a soup pot and add water until it fills the pot. Simmer for about 90 minutes covered and your soup is done. Cook the rice separately and add to the soup when serving.

I don't add salt when I cook because I allow people to add it as they want it. But you might want to add salt.

MAN, do those recipes look good! :)

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I agree those receipes look great! Thanks!

Archived