Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiddle-Faddle

gluten-free Matzo Balls

Time for comfort food!

gluten-free Matzo balls

This recipe is from someone named Sara who used to frequent the glutenfreeforum.

4 TBSP chicken fat (save a little in a tub in the freezer every time you make soup. You can also take chicken skin and/or fat from any raw or baked rotisserie chicken, put it in a frying pan, and cook it til the fat renders out)

4 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend

3/4 dried potato flakes

seasoning of your choice--I like dill, parsely, garlic powder, and onion powder, some people like ginger and nutmeg.

1. Blend eggs and chicken fat

2 add dry ingredients, mix well

3. Cover and let sit in fridge 20-30 minutes

4. fill a large pot of water and heat to boiling

5. Take mixture out of fridge and roll into ping-pong ball-size balls (NO LARGER--they swell up like mad)It's much easier if you grease your hands well with shortening or olive oil.

6. Drop into boiling water

7. Use long spoon to make sure none got stuck on the bottom

8. COVER POT, reduce heat to medium to medium-low, and cook for 35-40 minutes

9. Remove with slotted spoon

To freeze for later use, transfeer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet, freze until hard, tranfer to freezer bags.

THEY REALLY TASTE LIKE MATZO BALLS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest Robbin

:D:D Thank you!!!!! I made a chicken last night and saved the broth and fat!!! How great!! I am making them today for sure--it is rainy and dreary and comfort food is needed!!!! You made my day!

btw--how much does this make approximately??

WOW!!! I can't wait to try this. I miss matzo balls.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Time for comfort food!

gluten-free Matzo balls

This recipe is from someone named Sara who used to frequent the glutenfreeforum.

4 TBSP chicken fat (save a little in a tub in the freezer every time you make soup. You can also take chicken skin and/or fat from any raw or baked rotisserie chicken, put it in a frying pan, and cook it til the fat renders out)

4 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend

3/4 dried potato flakes

seasoning of your choice--I like dill, parsely, garlic powder, and onion powder, some people like ginger and nutmeg.

1. Blend eggs and chicken fat

2 add dry ingredients, mix well

3. Cover and let sit in fridge 20-30 minutes

4. fill a large pot of water and heat to boiling

5. Take mixture out of fridge and roll into ping-pong ball-size balls (NO LARGER--they swell up like mad)It's much easier if you grease your hands well with shortening or olive oil.

6. Drop into boiling water

7. Use long spoon to make sure none got stuck on the bottom

8. COVER POT, reduce heat to medium to medium-low, and cook for 35-40 minutes

9. Remove with slotted spoon

To freeze for later use, transfeer to waxpaper lined cookie sheet, freze until hard, tranfer to freezer bags.

THEY REALLY TASTE LIKE MATZO BALLS!

Thanks so so much--this looks pretty easy--not much harder than making the real thing!!

There's probably no way to make this low-fat, right? I'm assuming the chicken fat and whole eggs are a necessity for flavor and texture... :(

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Sorry--even substituting oil for the fat turns them from fluffy floaty heavenly delights to hockey pucks. :(

But somehow, even thought it's animal fat instead of olive oil, I do think it's healthy. I mean, this is enough matzo balls for at least 5 people! Better than eating Cheetos!

Sorry--even substituting oil for the fat turns them from fluffy floaty heavenly delights to hockey pucks. :(

But somehow, even thought it's animal fat instead of olive oil, I do think it's healthy. I mean, this is enough matzo balls for at least 5 people! Better than eating Cheetos!

I bet they're heavenly. Sadly, I can't digest fat very well and more than a teeny-tiny bit makes my stomach look and feel like I've swallowed a basketball.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Hmmmm....what if you make the whole batch, freeze them, and just have one a week?

It seems to be the amount of fat that I eat compared to the calories that bothers me. I've found that if I stay away from anything that has more than 20 or 25% calories from fat, I do fine. So what I could do would be to eat one as part of a high-calorie, fat-free meal. That should even the calories from fat out a bit. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that before...

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free