Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi,

I am new to this post and am currently undergoing tests to see if I have this disease. I was quite surprised to have my Doctor suggest it and had never heard of it before but I am a petite female who in the past 6 months has lost alot of weight and am now losing my hair. Its quite freaky and due to my intestinal problems, he is suggesting it could be Celiac disease. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yup. :rolleyes: <--- looking up at my receded hairline.

It's the malabsorption. The damaged small intestine can't absorb vitamins and the following vitamin deficiencies cause all sorts of havoc.

My hair is in the process of growing back (after 1+ yr gluten-free), now instead of balding I look like I had a really bad perm. (we need a "bad hair day" smiley :lol: )

Me too. I am also anemic. :huh:

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Yup. :rolleyes: <--- looking up at my receded hairline.

It's the malabsorption. The damaged small intestine can't absorb vitamins and the following vitamin deficiencies cause all sorts of havoc.

My hair is in the process of growing back (after 1+ yr gluten-free), now instead of balding I look like I had a really bad perm. (we need a "bad hair day" smiley :lol: )

Really?? So, I'm not going insane? But, It will grow back!? Is there anything I can do now to counteract the process? I don't mean to sound so superficial but its scaring me so bad and I dread washing my hair every morning.

Hi Taffy,

My hair was falling out in the year and a half before I was diagnosed. I actually had spots where you could see my scalp.

I was also severly anemic, which is common in people with Celiac. I took suppliments, but because I wasn't absorbing correctly, they didn't do much good.

When I had been gluten-free for about 4 months, my hair stopped falling out--and blood testing after 6 months showed that the anemia was gone! It's been 16 months now, and all of the hair that I lost has grown back.

Good luck with your tests :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

My thin hair is still falling out. What types of suppliments would you suggest?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Taffy - I can't promise you you don't have something else, with or without celiac, like female pattern baldness or alopecia areata. Medline Plus on the causes of hairloss. But if it is celiac, then yes it will grow back.

Once on the gluten-free diet it'll take time for your intestine to heal and start absorbing the normal amount of nutrients again. The small intestine takes in alot of your vitamins, all the b-vits, vit A, calcium, vit D and vit K - I never even knew there was a vit K! Vitamin k helps your blood clot, not enough causes easy bleeding and bruising. Deficiencies in these (and iron, and other minerals), are common with celiac - so a multivitamin with minerals is a good start.

I've heard zinc is good for hair, but the only supplement I've taken that seemed to effect my hair was folic acid. I had to take a large dose to counteract a rheumatoid arthritis medication I was taking. (methotrexate) MTX binds to folic acid and drains it from your body. Not surprisingly one of it's side effects is hair loss. :rolleyes: The mega dose took care of the MTX but also seemed to boost new hair growth and the hair I had seemed thicker and stronger.

I currently take a Stress B Complex with C and Zinc, an extra 400mcg folic acid, and I eat my veggies like mom always told me too. :D

I use Nature Made vitamins because they label "gluten-free" right on the package.

Hair loss could also be caused by thyroid problems. I am just throwing that in, so it won't be overlooked.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair loss was my only symptom of celiac disease. My very with-it family doctor tested my iron, found it very low, then ran the celiac panel. Voila! So I went off gluten and almost all of my hair has grown back. :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Hey Emily:

taffymorgan began this thread, but much interest for me.

I take additional folic acid, but my multi-V I used to take is no longer available here. Can you suggest a good gluten-free multi-V.?

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

My little 3 year old also suffered horribly from hair loss. She was actually almost bald on spots of her head and I couldn't put her hair up in a pony tail because you could see all the bald patches and also because I was afraid more would fall out.

She is doing much better now and since being gluten-free for a year her hair looks pretty normal. She takes a multi vitamin and we just make sure she eats really well.

Good luck to you!

Really?? So, I'm not going insane? But, It will grow back!? Is there anything I can do now to counteract the process? I don't mean to sound so superficial but its scaring me so bad and I dread washing my hair every morning.

Girl... trust me I know how you feel... the shed I experienced came on so suddenly and rapidly but then just continued and continued and continued... I would literally cry every morning during and after my shower... my hair fall has slowed down since I went gluten free... and is slowly tapering off... and I can see a fine new fringe of hair along my hairline... so there's hope... just relax (stress can worsen it)... follow the diet and get plenty of rest...

Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT

Venus Bodyworks Personal Training

and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...

are you ready to transform yours?"

One of the symptoms that I had prior to diagnoses was bruising. I ended up having a 4 hour nosebleed that could not be stopped (because I was not retaining vitamin K), and was admitted to the hospital to get blood and plasma. I was also extremely anemic.

May hair loss started before this was all going on. I would get out of the shower in the morning and be covered in hair! My doctor suggested that I try Zinc and Selinium. I find that if I take the 100% daily reqirement of Selinium, that it isn't enough. I take 285%.

I also take the Nature Made vitamins. They say gluten free right on the bottle!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

My thin hair is still falling out. What types of suppliments would you suggest?

It doesnt make sense for me to feel better after hearing about some one else having thinning hair but it gives me comfort to know it might get better. I have actually thought of transplants because it is so hard to style.