Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lister

Chicken Smell?

so i just got some chicken from the store - they only had 2 packs left so it was the bottom of the selection. i got it home it looked alright, but now the kitchen reaks of fish.. is this a normal smell for chicken?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

LOL um no....I don't think so. I think you're sometimes better safe than sorry when it comes to fishy smelling chicken....I mean, I guess the chicken could have been near the fish. Is there a date on it? (Eeww, btw :rolleyes: )

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

well its prepackaged tysen chicken.. so i dont even think there is a chance of fish cc.. thats why the smell confuses me

oh i also used olive oil to grease the pan if that could have caused the smell

oh i dont know so much anymore, i found a lil black thing in the chicken, i took it out thought it was a bone but i was able to bend it in half then it broke, and its brown and crusty in the inside wtf is this

this sucks this was my dinner for tonight... now its to late for me to cook anything looks like no dinner tonight :(/ lunch for tomorrow

oh i dont know so much anymore, i found a lil black thing in the chicken, i took it out thought it was a bone but i was able to bend it in half then it broke, and its brown and crusty in the inside wtf is this

this sucks this was my dinner for tonight... now its to late for me to cook anything looks like no dinner tonight :(/ lunch for tomorrow

did you already cook the chicken? Can you return it to the store and explain what happened?

so should i chuck my dinner/lunch?

I dunno. If you bought chicken that isn't edible I'd take it back to the store with your receipt and see if they'll reimburse you. Some stores are really good about that.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

meh i ate it anyways, my girlfriend says it smelled fine, and im hungry meh i guess i will know tomorrow

Lister,

since I have been gluten free some things do smell quite different now. Cooked chicken at the supermaret smells so weird and horrible now, not that I will eat it as they are stuffed, but the others think hey this is great, and think it smells still the same.

I notice I cannot walk up the bread aisles without thinking yuck that stinks. It seems to be the bread smell that gets me the most.

Maybe that is the case with you, some things smell different.

I hope you feel fine tomorrow

Catherine

Lister,

since I have been gluten free some things do smell quite different now. Cooked chicken at the supermaret smells so weird and horrible now, not that I will eat it as they are stuffed, but the others think hey this is great, and think it smells still the same.

I notice I cannot walk up the bread aisles without thinking yuck that stinks. It seems to be the bread smell that gets me the most.

Maybe that is the case with you, some things smell different.

I hope you feel fine tomorrow

Catherine

I have the same reaction to raw chicken. One day I threw out thee packs thinking they must have spoiled... now I realize it was silly ole me. :rolleyes: Now I burn a scented candle in the kitchen as a prepare the chicken so I don't freak myself out from the smell.

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

This is so funny that you should all mention this. Raw chicken smells different to me too! Not fishy, but I want to use the word 'strong'--hard to describe. I feel like an idiot having to always ask whoever's around--does this smell ok to you? :lol:

The last several times, I've just ignored the smell--I guess thats just another side effect of all this. :blink:

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest nini

I've had this happen with both chicken and beef... I think it smells really off and I'll ask my hubby to smell it and he says theres nothing wrong with it, it still smells funky to me so I freak about it... Once I was so freaked I threw the cooked ground beef in the trash and went back to the grocery store and cried to the store manager about it smelling so bad, he gave me another pack and didn't charge me, when I was cooking that one it smelled off too, but not as bad... I ate it anyway since hubby kept saying it was just me and the meat smelled fine.

Wow. I also thought the last few meat products smelled disgusting to me! I likened it to something between a cat and a rabbit. Is that the "gamey" smell people talk of?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

My dad works for Tyson and they don't do fish. I have no idea what the black thing would be. I have some issues with meat smelling bad to me but my husband claims it smells fine. I also have found that even after cooking it that sometimes our chicken tastes like fish to me and I don't care for fish. It bugs me and I can't explain why this is. I heard somthing on the morning news last month that the meat that is vacum sealed is often not good even before the exp date....I guess the put carbon dioxide in the meat to keep it red longer and when they tested not exp meat wich looked fresh it was often spoiled. They did say that if it's in saran wrap usually on styrafoam or from your butcher that they would not have the equipment in there facilities to put carbon dioxide in the meat so those pkgs should be ok.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.