This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question

mbg98

mbg98 Contributor

since going gluten free about 7 1/2 months ago I have not been taking any vitamins/supplements it was not something my doc even brought up. I am now reading on alot of these posts and articles about Celiac that there are vitamins/supplements that some people take that assist in the issues us celiacs have. I am going to a new Celiac doc on monday that has done a few write ups on Celiac in local papers and I wanted to discuss this with him but I wanted to see what types of things you all are taking and what they are for so I have a better idea as to what I am asking him about, if that makes any sense. Any input?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AmandaD Community Regular

You should definitely be on a good gluten free vitamin like Viactiv chewables, Freeda, or Pioneer. My doc also PRESCRIBED Vit D 400 IU 2x daily.

Guest Kathy Ann

Thorne is another good company which makes vits/mins and other supplements pretty free from most allergens including gluten.

LKelly8 Rookie

Mgb98, there are many very good gluten-free supplements out there. Your doctor can tell you better what vitamin or mineral deficiencies you may have and how much you should be supplementing. :)

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I have not been sold on the idea of taking supplements - I eat REALLY well, so I didn't see why I should need supplementation.

I started taking a prenatal (just because they're so good) a week or two ago, though, because my fingernails were so weak they were bending back when I pulled up my socks.

My fingernails are better.

I don't think we should have to take vitamins our whole lives; but maybe we're playing catch-up. i don't know.

I use Rainbow Light brand.

mbg98 Contributor

Thanks everyone! I just read that some people take magnisum others b12 and some just everyday vitamins and since it was never brought up to me by my oh so helpful doc (ha) I wanted to see if it is something i should look into.

RiceGuy Collaborator
Thanks everyone! I just read that some people take magnisum others b12 and some just everyday vitamins and since it was never brought up to me by my oh so helpful doc (ha) I wanted to see if it is something i should look into.

Well for what it's worth I'm gonna take sublingual B12. So far the methylcobalamin form appears to be the best overall. It's cheap enough to give it a try and as long as it doesn't have other vitamins with it, no known toxicity level, so practically no chance of overdose. Side effects from whatever sweeteners they use, such as sorbitol might be something to watch out for. But taken in moderate doses two or three times daily rather than the mega-sized ones all at once should avoid such problems. Besides, B12 is assimilated better in small amounts, so large doses just waste more.

Certainly the magnesium is a common deficiency among Celiacs too, though I think the average American could use more of that as well. Knowing what you are deficient in can help you to focus on the ones you need most, thus avoiding overdosing on stuff you already have in good quantities.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

If you take sublingual B 12 it's a good idea to also take B-complex. The B vitamins all work together and work in your nervous system, if your taking one, you don't want to be out of balance with the others.

The reason we need vitamins now when we didn't need them years ago has a lot to do with our farming methods used today. Our food simply does not have the nutritional value it used to.

I take a good multiple, B-Complex 100, B 12 sublingual, cal/mag/zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E, and iron. There are other herbs and supplements I take on my doc's recommendation (like thyroid, etc.), but those are the vitamins. I take various brands. I particularly like Wild Oats brand as they're clearly labeled whether they're gluten-free. Don't just go take a cheap drug store vitamin -- most of them are 100% of the RDA, which is the minimum you should be getting, not the optimum.

AmandaD Community Regular

Bully 4 You - I think you have to be careful with the Rainbow Light Prenatals - they have barley and wheat grass in them - I remember my obgyn warning me about them...

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

You're right. I noticed that last night. I know that THEORETICALLY, barley and wheat grass does not have gluten in it. But that is theoretically.

Thus far no bad side effects -- but to be on the safe side, I'll go back to the ones without that. Thanks for reminding me.

Archived