This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kansas City Grocery Stores

pinkpei77

pinkpei77 Contributor

those of you in the kansas city area.. where do you do most of your gluten-free shopping??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

suziew Rookie

I like the Hyvee's off of Barry Road up north. They have a section of gluten free foods I can't find anywhere else. They even started carrying Bards gluten free beer.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Whole Foods off of Metcalf (97th I think). Wild Oats on 119th. and also most of the Hyvee's in the area have a great gluten free section.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jennyj Collaborator

I would have suggested the same ones. When we stay in Overland Park twice a year I shop Hy Vee.

pinkpei77 Contributor

wow! great!i never thought to look at hy-vee.

whenever i would go home to kc to visit id always go to price chopper and they have nothing!!!

there is an awesome store in independence called "natures pantry" they have a HUGE gluten free section.

we are moving back to kc on sunday so i'll have to check out hy-vee !

im excited for whole foods too!!

that wasnt there when i left 7 yyears ago!

only the little wild oats on main street downtown.

thanks for all the input!!

pinkpei77 Contributor

i saw online there are two whole foods... which one do you guys like best? also , isnt one close to wild oats?

thanks!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

The Wild Oats on 119th Street is much larger and has a much larger selection.

I also shop at the Whole Foods on Metcalf... and the Hy-Vee in Mission. You can only find the gluten-free foods in their "health food" area though. They aren't out in the main grocery area.

Jessica - I swear one of these days we are going to walk right by each other in the store! =)

My new favorite thing is the gluten-free chocolate chip muffins made by Bread of Life bakery. Only Whole Foods has them, and they are in a really small display over by the bakery case. Yum-O!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
The Wild Oats on 119th Street is much larger and has a much larger selection.

I also shop at the Whole Foods on Metcalf... and the Hy-Vee in Mission. You can only find the gluten-free foods in their "health food" area though. They aren't out in the main grocery area.

Jessica - I swear one of these days we are going to walk right by each other in the store! =)

My new favorite thing is the gluten-free chocolate chip muffins made by Bread of Life bakery. Only Whole Foods has them, and they are in a really small display over by the bakery case. Yum-O!

haha you just never know who you will see at the store :P

As for the Bread of Life bakery.........watch out. I went to a support group meeting where the owners of the bakery came to talk to the group. They were wanting to get into gluten-free baking and were wanting to find out more about it. They had no clue about cross contamination or really anything about baking gluten-free. They also bake TONS of wheatey products. So picture flour flying everywhere while baking gluten-free products. I know when the group met with them they were hesitant to set up another gluten free baking area.....sooooo just a warning .

I would hope that if they are marketing their products now that they have it a little more under control and have researched it a bit more. You might even give them a call and see if they have a more dedicated facility that they are baking in. I would hate for you all to be getting sick!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

pinkpei77 Contributor

thanks guys for all the info!!

we will be arriving tomarrow night!!

and im grocery shopping first thing wednesday!!

oh. and eating ethiopian :P

ErikaMarshall Newbie

Wow! I'm so glad I found this site! I have a question! I work for the Hilton KCI during the day and am desperately in search of a bakery in the Kansas City (or surrounding) area that will make a gluten-free birthday cake for a client that I have coming in next weekend! I tried the HyVee on Barry Road and they don't make them. Any suggestions??! Thank you!!

msserena Apprentice
those of you in the kansas city area.. where do you do most of your gluten-free shopping??

I shop at Walmart. Their Great Value line of food will say weather they are gluten free or not.

Very affordable. ;)

pinkpei77 Contributor
I shop at Walmart. Their Great Value line of food will say weather they are gluten free or not.

Very affordable. ;)

good to know!! thanks!!!

pinkpei77 Contributor

i went to the wild oats on 119th today and it was great!!!

i however was not impressed with the whole foods. i dont know if i was just shopped out, but i really didnt find anything good. but ill definetly give it another try!!

as for just regular things i went to hy-vee and it was pretty good too!!

but i give wild oats a HUGE thumbs up!!!

Archived