This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Doing Raw Foods Diet?

BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I wondered if anyone out there has tried a raw foods diet? I've been mostly raw for two days and feel a lot better digestively, and the dark circles under my eyes look better. I finally have normal poops again after about a month of chronic cramping and switching D with C (never a problem with me before - was always straight C).

Anyway, anybody else tried it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ann1231 Enthusiast

I did about a year ago. For a month or so I felt better than I had in years, but then fatigue hit me hard and I had some blood sugar problems. I added in meat and felt so much better. I really needed the protein. I'm now trying to get back off meat and eat a vegan diet. I hate eating a lot of meat and I'm eating some beans and things like that. I still do raw a few days here and there but I can't do it all the time.

angelina2975 Newbie

I had done the raw food diet for about 4 months, let me tell you I never looked or felt better. But (and this is a huge BUT) I think it's too hard on a compromised system (I am hypothyroid and now have pretty bad adrenal fatigue). I think the too much sugar (fruit, fruit fruit) without any protein to counterbalance did a bad number on my adrenals ~ it was right after this that my adrenals took a big nosedive. I think semi raw is good (*but then again thats a healthy diet), by this I mean, use some of the principles of raw such as raw fats (i.e. unrefined extra virgin oils/healthy fats from avocados, raw nuts); lots of raw veggies, fruits, etc. I also use raw hemp protein shakes. But I do have fish and currently just added red meat (doc's order for 2'xs/week) According to my doc (she is an internist but also practices alternative therapies) she recomends a diet with lots of variety. Not eliminating any of the food groups (i.e. meats/poultry/fish, veggies or carbs) but being sensible, i.e. cutting out processed foods and favoring natural lower glycemic complex carbs (sweet potatos instead of pasta). As someone with food allergies (wheat is the main one, cows milk dairy products and nuts), this has been fairly easy for me to accomplish

Rusla Enthusiast

I am looking into going raw, maybe not totally raw all the time but I have been to some raw foodings. some people go mostly raw with a few cooked things thrown in off and on. I am trying to find out if chicken jerky is considered raw or not as it is put in a dehydrator.

spunky Contributor

I've tried vegan raw on and off a few times. I like the idea in theory...it makes sense to me for lots of reasons (so many food intolerances/allergens, etc. are automatically eliminated) and also matches up with the diets of what probably might be our nearest cousins, the bonbos and other apes. We are probably more similar to their anatomy and physiology than any other animal, so it might be worthwhile to study their diets and apply that to how it would work in our bodies.

For me, I just always had trouble having enough raw produce around (you really have to eat a LOT) plus had a family to cook for that dind't wnat to be raw, so it involved too much shopping, expense, and work for me to attempt to do this myself and still take care of my family, so we all agreed on cooked vegan. Now it's just the two of us, but I don't think he'd go for raw at this point, so I'd probably run into the same problems.

I always felt very good while raw, but I don't think I was ever raw long enough for the gluten to get out of my body, so I actually do feel better now, eating cooked foods and gluten free for 8 months, than I can say I ever did eating raw, because I never lasted with that more than about 2 months at a time.

Some raw people do eat soaked grains, and so one would have to be careful at raw events, etc., to stay away from glutinous grains in various raw recipes.

As to the chicken jerky someone brought up, it's my understanding that things are still considered raw if kept below a certain temperature (maybe 115 F or something...can't remeber exactly right now but I think most dehydrators wouldn't exceed that--it's the temperature at which certain enzymes and proteins remain intact), and so raw chicken or other meats dried in a dehydrator probably would count as raw.

Many others do include dairy products and eggs unhomogenized and raw; I would sure want to know where those things came from (and the health of the animals) if I did that.

lorka150 Collaborator

The only non-raw food I consume is cereal; so i guess i'm about 99% raw! - you should check out www.rawfoodtalk.com

RiceGuy Collaborator

Though I don't really eat everything raw, I always try to keep my veggies as close to it as can be. I get mostly fresh frozen ones, just because they will retain what nutrient value they have rather than spoiling in the fridge before I get to them. So I just heat them a bit and that's it. Makes meal preparation quite a bit faster too :) Rice is my staple grain, and obviously that's cooked. As for meat, I don't eat any just 'cause I feel healthier that way. I know not everyone wants to eat the amount of veggies I do though, and Americans tend to avoid legumes too. That can make protein a little more of an issue depending on lifestyle.

I did about a year ago. For a month or so I felt better than I had in years, but then fatigue hit me hard and I had some blood sugar problems. I added in meat and felt so much better. I really needed the protein. I'm now trying to get back off meat and eat a vegan diet. I hate eating a lot of meat and I'm eating some beans and things like that. I still do raw a few days here and there but I can't do it all the time.

I am wondering if all you were lacking was B12. Fatigue is one of the first signs. In that case take a supplement and you may be able to drop the meat if you want. Don't depend on blood work to tell when you're low on B12, as your organs and various other tissues will become depleted for the sake of the circulation system. That's what I've read happens anyway. The sublingual methylcobalamin is apparently the best, though I detail that in other posts so no need to reiterate here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
powderprincess Rookie

Gotta get your B12 .

I love raw food but I also eat cooked food (so long as it is gluten-free and vegan). Ethier way. . it is really important to get B12 via supplements and omega-3's which are in flax seed. It's easy to get omega3 via plants, just have to remember them :)

I am glad you feel good!

heathen Apprentice

I'm not on the raw foods diet, but I love larabars... totally raw, no processing, quite yummy. pricey, though. my favorite is the apple pie variety.

• 2 weeks later...
HawkFire Explorer

What a wonderful subject for me. I am just getting into this. I have found so many herbs to be full of hidden health benefits. I use parsley, basil and cilantro quite liberally now. I would ask is there an informative book you would recommend?

I have a new restaurant nearby that just opened up. It serves all raw foods. So many delicious lunches. I find that the plant proteins are enough according to research I've done. I don't know about b12. Does anyone who is vegan have an answer for the b12 issue for those going raw? Or the question, does sushi count as raw food? thankyou.

squirrelgardens Newbie

Newbie here. My diet is 60 - 70 percent raw depending on the season. I live in a cold climate so sometimes you have to eat cooked or warm food.

However, I had to go raw with gluten sensitivity because of the constipation. Since trying the raw diet I am regular. Do others find the gluten free packaged food could have more fiber? Really have to read those labels.

This forum really has been so encouraging.

Archived