• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chewymom

Ummm...anyone Go From The Big "d" To The Big "c"?

Rate this topic

Yep, another p00p thread. I spent my entire childhood constipated. My mom had me on Exlax so much, I still don't like chocolate bars to this day. She even made me drink castor oil.

Anyway, for four years, I've had diarrhea primarily, with a few normal p00ps thrown in there. I've been gluten free (as best as I can, being new to this and all) for about 3? weeks now, and I'm am completely constipated! What is up with that?

I mean, am I EVER going to have normal p00p in my life???? What am I doing wrong here???

I have the same question! sorry, I can't answer, but have been suffering with very loose stools for years now....and now have been gluten-free for 2 weeks and am constipated. I would welcome any other responses too!

Are you taking a magnesium supplement?

I had the same problem after my last glutening and so I upped it to 2x250mg a day instead of just one. It did wonders!

-Courtney

I had never heard that magnesium helps--I'll have to try that!

Magnesium does wonders for your digestive system. At least give it a try - a bottle of magnesium supplements is cheap so it's not like you'll be out a lot of cash.

just in doubling my dosage for the past three days it is AMAZING how much more "productive" my bowel system has become! I was somewhat of a skeptic, but not anymore~

Courtney

I went from the big D to the big C... and my colonic hydrotherapist (who helped dx my celiacs) recommended green smoothies... for fiber and for magnesium as well as a slew of other vitamins and minerals... not to mention the healing effect the greens has on the intestines...

Now... before any of you guys say YUCK... as I first did... let me tell you... the fruit you mix in with the green totally covers the green taste... well... maybe not totally... but the smoothies are delicious... and... they're quick... especially if you have a Magic Bullet machine... which is perfect for on the go nutrition... here's my favorite recipe:

1 banana

1 cup of freshly washed strawberries

2 good sized fistfuls of fresh parsley (washed)

1 good size fistful of greens (lettuce, etc.)

Blend w/ a 1/2 c. water and some ice and serve

Here's a link to a ton of green smoothie recipes:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/14/1182.html

What else is nice... is I don't always feel like playing nice and eating my RDA of fruits and veggies... well... one green smoothie basically gives me my daily requirement of veggies and fruits...

I've gone from frequent loose stools (10 months running) to constipation now. I'm still hurting from my last BM. Ow!

So I just gave myself some stool softeners and I'm increasing the fiber in my diet. I had kind of backed off on the fiber because of the loose stools.

When patients have diarreah, the doctor will put them on a B.R.A.T. diet it stands for bannanas, rice, applesauce, and toast. All these foods are self "binding", and can cause solid stools in someone with diarreah, and can cause MAJOR constipation in others.

You might be eating too much rice or "rice " products. Alot of people go CRAZY on rice when they first start this diet. Remember this includes, rice noodle, rice cakes, rice, rice cereal, ect...ect.

Also make sure that you eat lots of NATURAL fiber foods. Like raw veggies and fruits (except bananas). Plums and cranberries are GREAT at relieving constipation. This kind of food balances out the rice and other "binding" type foods to make you regular.

Now that is an interesting thought. I have definitely gone nuts with the rice products--especially rice pastas. I make some kind of stir fry almost every day for lunch--it's something I've grown to LOVE. Maybe I'm obsessing?? Of course, it didn't help that spinach--my favorite green--was pulled from the shelves. Maybe I need to go back to my spinach salad for lunch....

try this noodle free stir fry...

3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet, fry chicken pieces. when chicken is done, add broccoli, bean sprouts, carrots, and whatever you live. a pinch of garlic and cayanne pepper. and wha lah!