This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Waffles/breakfast

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a really good home made waffle recipe? I have issues with things like scrambled eggs but seem to be ok if its baked. Besides our daughter we don't eat much cereal and havn't been making bread yet.....actually we still don't have a stove so it's hard to actually bake anything.....but we will have one soon. Does anyone have any good breakfast ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I have a GREAT waffle recipe...

Step one : Open box of Van's gluten-free berry waffles

Step two : Put in taster on "medium-dark"

Step three : when done add butter/etc to taste

Thats it!

(sorry LOL could not resist!)

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
I have a GREAT waffle recipe...

Step one : Open box of Van's gluten-free berry waffles

Step two : Put in taster on "medium-dark"

Step three : when done add butter/etc to taste

Thats it!

(sorry LOL could not resist!)

LOL that's halarious! However, we can't afford to buy many premade fg foods. Actually we have almost always made homemade waffles since my hubby got us a waffle maker almost 5 years ago......we love them. We have always used a mix though.....we use the Mrs. Buttersworth mix but obviously that isn't going to work now.....errr! I was thinking maybe I could make a bunch up at once and then freeze them and then pretty follow steps 2 and 3 listed above......lol.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

The gluten free waffles really arent too high they actually have them at our local walmart, just the plain kind but they are only $1.84 I highly reccomend the Vans waffles they are about the most inexpensive gluten-free item Iv found

GFBetsy Rookie

Here's the one I use all the time. We freeze leftovers in ziplocks and then reheat them in the toaster. They are great either way (fresh or re-heated). You do want to be sure that your waffle iron is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. If it doesn't have removeable plates (and mostly only the older square waffle bakers DO have removable plates) you may want to get a new (gluten-free) waffle iron to avoid cross-contamination.

Gluten Free Waffles

3 eggs, separated

scant 1/4 c. sugar

1 3/4 c. milk

1/2 c. oil

2 c. featherlight mix *

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbs. baking powder

Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly add sugar, until the whites form soft peaks. Beat together egg yolks, milk, and oil. In another bowl, mix featherlight mix, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Mix milk mixture into flour. Fold the resulting mixture into the egg whites. Bake on a hot waffle iron. Keep waffles in a warm oven (with the door cracked open) until you are ready to eat. Any leftover waffles may be placed in Ziploc bags and frozen. They may then be reheated in the toaster.

*this is Bette HAgman's featherlight mix: 1 c rice flour, 1 c. tapioca starch, 1 c. cornstarch, 1 Tbs. Potato FLOUR (not starch)

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! I gave some to a friend a month ago (she eats gluten all the time) and she said they were better than Eggos. I always thought so, but it's nice to hear someone else say it, too! :lol:

bbuster Explorer

I make waffles about once a week using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix. They are excellent. There is a recipe right on the package - you need the mix plus eggs, oil, water and I normally add about a teaspoon of cinnamon.

I make these for my son and the whole family and friends, and everyone loves them. You can freeze any leftovers and then just heat them up in a toaster or toaster oven.

lonewolf Collaborator

I make pancakes and waffles all the time from scratch. (The only difference between pancakes and waffles for me is the amount of oil - I only put in 2-3 Tbs for pancakes.)

Waffles

1 Egg

2 C Milk or rice milk

1/2 C oil, melted butter or melted coconut oil

Beat the wet ingredients together well, add:

1-1/2 C gluten-free Flour (See what I use below)

2 T Ground Flax meal

2 Tbs. (scant) Baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt (omit if using melted butter)

A few shakes of cinnamon, optional

Stir until moistened. If it seems thin, don't add more milk, it will thicken up in a few minutes.

Bake in a hot waffle iron. I use non-stick spray AFTER the waffle iron is heated, just before pouring in the batter. I know that some people don't use it, but my waffle iron will stick if I don't.

Flour mix: 3 C BROWN rice flour, 1 C Potato starch, 1/2 C Tapioca starch, 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. Sift together 3 times. Measure the 1-1/2 C from this, then save remainder in the refrigerator for another recipe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Kathy Ann

Anybody tried making waffles out of MOCHI? The company claims it works really nifty.

lonewolf Collaborator
Anybody tried making waffles out of MOCHI? The company claims it works really nifty.

I tried it once, years ago. I spent an awfully long time trying to scrape the "waffles" out of my waffle iron.

Archived