Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hannahsue01

Waffles/breakfast

Does anyone know of a really good home made waffle recipe? I have issues with things like scrambled eggs but seem to be ok if its baked. Besides our daughter we don't eat much cereal and havn't been making bread yet.....actually we still don't have a stove so it's hard to actually bake anything.....but we will have one soon. Does anyone have any good breakfast ideas?

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a GREAT waffle recipe...

Step one : Open box of Van's gluten-free berry waffles

Step two : Put in taster on "medium-dark"

Step three : when done add butter/etc to taste

Thats it!

(sorry LOL could not resist!)

- Vincent -

I have a GREAT waffle recipe...

Step one : Open box of Van's gluten-free berry waffles

Step two : Put in taster on "medium-dark"

Step three : when done add butter/etc to taste

Thats it!

(sorry LOL could not resist!)

LOL that's halarious! However, we can't afford to buy many premade fg foods. Actually we have almost always made homemade waffles since my hubby got us a waffle maker almost 5 years ago......we love them. We have always used a mix though.....we use the Mrs. Buttersworth mix but obviously that isn't going to work now.....errr! I was thinking maybe I could make a bunch up at once and then freeze them and then pretty follow steps 2 and 3 listed above......lol.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

The gluten free waffles really arent too high they actually have them at our local walmart, just the plain kind but they are only $1.84 I highly reccomend the Vans waffles they are about the most inexpensive gluten-free item Iv found

Here's the one I use all the time. We freeze leftovers in ziplocks and then reheat them in the toaster. They are great either way (fresh or re-heated). You do want to be sure that your waffle iron is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. If it doesn't have removeable plates (and mostly only the older square waffle bakers DO have removable plates) you may want to get a new (gluten-free) waffle iron to avoid cross-contamination.

Gluten Free Waffles

3 eggs, separated

scant 1/4 c. sugar

1 3/4 c. milk

1/2 c. oil

2 c. featherlight mix *

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Tbs. baking powder

Beat egg whites until stiff. Slowly add sugar, until the whites form soft peaks. Beat together egg yolks, milk, and oil. In another bowl, mix featherlight mix, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. Mix milk mixture into flour. Fold the resulting mixture into the egg whites. Bake on a hot waffle iron. Keep waffles in a warm oven (with the door cracked open) until you are ready to eat. Any leftover waffles may be placed in Ziploc bags and frozen. They may then be reheated in the toaster.

*this is Bette HAgman's featherlight mix: 1 c rice flour, 1 c. tapioca starch, 1 c. cornstarch, 1 Tbs. Potato FLOUR (not starch)

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! I gave some to a friend a month ago (she eats gluten all the time) and she said they were better than Eggos. I always thought so, but it's nice to hear someone else say it, too! :lol:

I make waffles about once a week using Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix. They are excellent. There is a recipe right on the package - you need the mix plus eggs, oil, water and I normally add about a teaspoon of cinnamon.

I make these for my son and the whole family and friends, and everyone loves them. You can freeze any leftovers and then just heat them up in a toaster or toaster oven.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

I make pancakes and waffles all the time from scratch. (The only difference between pancakes and waffles for me is the amount of oil - I only put in 2-3 Tbs for pancakes.)

Waffles

1 Egg

2 C Milk or rice milk

1/2 C oil, melted butter or melted coconut oil

Beat the wet ingredients together well, add:

1-1/2 C gluten-free Flour (See what I use below)

2 T Ground Flax meal

2 Tbs. (scant) Baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt (omit if using melted butter)

A few shakes of cinnamon, optional

Stir until moistened. If it seems thin, don't add more milk, it will thicken up in a few minutes.

Bake in a hot waffle iron. I use non-stick spray AFTER the waffle iron is heated, just before pouring in the batter. I know that some people don't use it, but my waffle iron will stick if I don't.

Flour mix: 3 C BROWN rice flour, 1 C Potato starch, 1/2 C Tapioca starch, 2-1/2 tsp. xanthan gum. Sift together 3 times. Measure the 1-1/2 C from this, then save remainder in the refrigerator for another recipe.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Guest Kathy Ann

Anybody tried making waffles out of MOCHI? The company claims it works really nifty.

Anybody tried making waffles out of MOCHI? The company claims it works really nifty.

I tried it once, years ago. I spent an awfully long time trying to scrape the "waffles" out of my waffle iron.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13