Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Canola Oil... Used It For Frying

Okay, we just made a delicious batch of gluten free donuts, but now we have a HUGE amount of canola oil left over after frying them. Can I use the oil again? Can I just let it cool and then put it back in the empty oil bottle to use for frying at a later date? Please help!!!

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That's what we do. Cool and re-use.

What's the doughnut recipe? Cakey or the good kind?

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I don't know if I'd trust it myself. From what I've read, canola isn't exactly all that great to begin with. As I understand it, oils tend to degrade, turning rancid when exposed to heat and light. I recall that the rancidity is due to the formation of free radicals. Just like olive oil, canola oil is not exempt from this, though the degradation will differ. There's a lot of promotion behind canola, but as I did some digging, it began to look like junk, with hype pushing it.

Here's just one of a myriad articles you can find on the subject:

http://www.wholebodytonic.jurak.com/produc...20canolaoil.asp

The best oil I know of for cooking thus far is macadamia oil, but I don't think I'd use that again either after deep frying unless I used it immediately, and even then not for cooking. Possibly in something baked if the frying was light. I don't know - I'd have to decide at that time, noting the smell and clarity of the oil and so forth.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

RiceGuy is right. Rancid oil is very bad for you. I'm not a canola fan either. I use either olive oil or expeller pressed safflower oil (not all safflower is good either). I also use coconut oil and some sesame oil for flavoring.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I've also stopped using canola oil. I use olive oil and the expeller pressed safflower oils, also. For baking, Spectrum Organic Shortening (unhydrogenated Palm oil). I am intolerant, so I can't use coconut oil.

Carla--do you refrigerate your safflower oil? I don't use it often, so I only buy small bottles and keep them in the fridge.

Guhlia--I wouldn't use it again. (I mean the oil you fried with--whether or not you use canola is up to you :lol: )

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev