• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

key

Chipotles

Rate this topic

What do you guys order and what precautions do you take to not get gluttened. I find I get gluttened here like 50% of the time. I still continue to eat here, because I love it. I go two weeks and I don't eat there, but get bored of eating at home all the time and try it again. Are the chips risky or the salsa? I always get the Vege burrito bowl and chips with medium salsa. I absolutely love this place, since I am also vegetarian. My kids enjoy it too.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong??

Most of the time the gluttening isn't bad, but I got gluttened pretty good last time.

Monica

http://www.chipotle.com/ click on FAQ, then on "useful" then on "next" until you get to gluten/celiac. it gives useful info. (sorry, it wouldn't let me copy the actual page)...

I don't eat at Chipotle often, as there isn't one very close to me, but when I travel I love to have their burrito bols. I always explain that I'm "deathly allergic to wheat" and ask the person to change gloves and have them walk mine all the way down (so only one person has to change gloves) and haven't had a problem.

they dip into the cheese and lettuce w/ their gloved hands that they just rolled a big burrito w/...so maybe skip those 2 items (i take them home and add that later)

I have seen them use the spoon for rice and wipe it all over the burrito shells made from wheat and then put it in the rice again. I think this could be a problem. I haven't had any luck with anyone being helpful with changing gloves. THey either don't understand or pretend not to understand what I am even asking them. It is always SO busy, it is overwhelming just ordering there. I love the food though. I am on a break from eating out anywhere for awhile, but thanks for your help.

Monica

i feel like it's almost impossible to eat gluten-free there. the salsas all get contaminated cos the same spoon that goes into them goes onto a wheat flour tortilla. i would imagine even if they change their gloves, if it's something a spoon has been dipped into, it's not ok. sometimes i get the chips though, if you get them take away they are already in a separate bag. i just moved to maryland and there's actually one below my apartment but i'm too scared of cc to eat more than the chips :(

I hate to be a downer, but I just read the website (I won a gift card for that place),

and it said there are major issues with cross contamination and they recommend celiacs don't eat their food.

I have eaten there once and did not get sick. However, I think I just got lucky. I think there is a huge issue with cc with the rice and beans. I was also told by the manager at the one I ate at not to eat the chips because the fryer was not dedicated. I had a bowl with rice, beans and beef. No lettuce, cheese or salsas because of the concern of cc.

Hez

I order the burrito bol with chicken or steak and a side of chips and I skip the lettuce and cheese like linz7997 suggests, but I've still sometimes had cross contamination. The person at the front of the line handles the flour tortillas and the bowls with the same gloves so this is another place for cc. My suggestion would be to try to avoid the busy hours and alert the manager that you need the staff to be careful.