This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Bakery Seattle!

sweetp

sweetp Rookie

Peoples who live in seattle/tacoma...etc...

all i have to say is:

WOW!!

oh yah...and...

YUM!!!!

flying apron bakery in the U district of seattle

50th and Broadway (i think)

it's scrumptious!!

it's amazing!!

it's delicioius!!

it's gluten free!!

it's dairy free!!

get the carrot muffin!!

even your ungluten free friends/ and family will LOVE it!!!

just thought i'd share this with you...last saturday:

me+gluten free muffin = bliss

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I wish I lived in Seattle then!

burdee Enthusiast

I've shopped at Flying Apron since I was diagnosed with celiac disease over 2 years ago. NOT ALL OF THEIR PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. Some pastries have spelt or oats or barley. Some workers are very careful not to cross contaminate pastries, by letting them touch or spilling crumbs in their display. However other workers are CLUELESS college kids who believe that spelt is 'not wheat' and know zip about celiac disease. FA also does not accurately describe ingredients in all their products. For example, their chocolate chips have soy lecithin (I have soy allergy) and their peanut butter contains soy oil. I've gotten sick so many times after eating FA pastries that I finally stopped buying there. HOWEVER, if you're careful about requesting noncontaminated items and only have gluten and dairy sensitivities, their products are delicious.

If you live in North Seattle (or are willing to drive there), DA VINCI'S on 10003 Greenwood Avenue North features gluten-free breads and pastries. Their phone number is 206-782-5735. I especially like their EDS (egg/dairy/soy free) line of breads and pastries. They make a sweet potato pecan EDS bread which is fantastic. I also love their pizza crusts, which don't get hard when you reheat old pizza in the microwave. You can eat breakfasts and lunch items there or you can just buy take out pastries baked fresh daily.

If you live in the South Seattle area, I would recommend ENER-G FOODS bakery which is located on First Avenue South, just before you reach the First Avenue bridge. You can try samples and purchase anything they feature in their catalog or online in that store. I often find great bargains when shopping at their store.

BURDEE

lonewolf Collaborator
If you live in the South Seattle area, I would recommend ENER-G FOODS bakery which is located on First Avenue South, just before you reach the First Avenue bridge. You can try samples and purchase anything they feature in their catalog or online in that store. I often find great bargains when shopping at their store.

BURDEE

Are Ener-G's prices better at their store than online? Their online prices are more expensive than buying their stuff at the regular store, quite often. I love some of their stuff and want to try their new pretzels that are soy-free. Would it be worth a trip next time I'm heading into Seattle?

burdee Enthusiast

You will DEFINITELY save shipping costs by buying in-store. Local stores raise the basic catalog prices. Best of all there are usually lower priced items in the 'bargain' bin as well as free samples in the store. My husband who is not celiac, but gluten free to prevent arthritis symptoms, picks up my NRG orders and inhales all the free cookies, etc. LOL

BURDEE

sweetp Rookie

WOWzers!

i am there!

thanks!!!

ps. thanks for the info about FA. i knew all their products wern't gluten free, but i must have been there on a good day, because the owner (?) was there, and he was super knowledgeable! he even explained and talked to me about ingredients for like 10 minutes before i even bought anything! :) The carrot muffing was AMAzinG!!! Anyways, i will definitley have to check out ener-g foods! i had no idea they were in seattle! im sooo there!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

The breakfast panini sandwiches and Foccacia bread at Davinci's are wonderful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pearia Newbie
I've shopped at Flying Apron since I was diagnosed with celiac disease over 2 years ago. NOT ALL OF THEIR PRODUCTS ARE GLUTEN FREE. Some pastries have spelt or oats or barley. Some workers are very careful not to cross contaminate pastries, by letting them touch or spilling crumbs in their display. However other workers are CLUELESS college kids who believe that spelt is 'not wheat' and know zip about celiac disease. FA also does not accurately describe ingredients in all their products. For example, their chocolate chips have soy lecithin (I have soy allergy) and their peanut butter contains soy oil. I've gotten sick so many times after eating FA pastries that I finally stopped buying there. HOWEVER, if you're careful about requesting noncontaminated items and only have gluten and dairy sensitivities, their products are delicious.

If you live in North Seattle (or are willing to drive there), DA VINCI'S on 10003 Greenwood Avenue North features gluten-free breads and pastries. Their phone number is 206-782-5735. I especially like their EDS (egg/dairy/soy free) line of breads and pastries. They make a sweet potato pecan EDS bread which is fantastic. I also love their pizza crusts, which don't get hard when you reheat old pizza in the microwave. You can eat breakfasts and lunch items there or you can just buy take out pastries baked fresh daily.

BURDEE

Thanks for the tip. Went to Da Vinci's today and there stuff was really good. The owner of the shop was there to give out samples and answer questions, very nice lady and a lot of fun.

• 1 year later...
TimSpfd Newbie
Thanks for the tip. Went to Da Vinci's today and there stuff was really good. The owner of the shop was there to give out samples and answer questions, very nice lady and a lot of fun.

I was in North Seattle for an event last weekend and went by Da Vincis. They make bakery items and some entree type things plus a full coffee service with milk alternatives. Fantastic stuff and very nice staff. They make a bunch of different pizzas and have some salads including a chicken one that was great. The desserts are wonderful too, and no problems with anything. Worth going out of the way for - it's at N 100th and Greenwood. Prices were reasonable too, no more than any good quality local bakery.

Juliebove Rising Star

I had wondered about the chocolate at Flying Apron. Daughter likes the icing on their chocolate cupcakes. Doesn't even eat all of it and never seems to get to the cupcake itself. It does list soy lecithin, and she does have a soy allergy. But she eats so little of it and so infrequently and she hasn't seemed to react.

The reason why I wondered was that I ordered her a birthday cake there for the past two years and it doesn't list soy in the indredients. The cake two years ago was a big hit. This past year, not so much so. It was supposed to be plain chocolate but we got chocolate mint. The cake seemed very dry and crumbly.

Daughter hates their muffins and whatever that little chocolate triangle is. She does like the espresso brownies and also the berry tea cakes or scones. She prefers the round ones but doesn't like the berries so much. She tends to eat around the berries.

I always buy from Central Market. They sell some of their things there. My parents have picked up the birthday cakes from the U Dist. location.

I'd like to try some of the bread but am not going to go to the U Dist. to get it.

I've been wondering where the Ener-G store was. That's a bit too far for me to go. I live in Bothell. I usually just order online for their stuff. I can get some of it in the local stores here and most of it at Manna Mills in Mountlake Terrace, but I don't get out there too often.

I have also gotten some things from Wheatless in Seattle. Not sure where she went after she left the Firdale Village location. Daughter loved their food, but I couldn't be sure it was allergen safe. She once sold us a brownie and told me it was egg free. Daughter became ill after eating it and I later learned it had eggs in it. She also let me down after telling me she could make us a birthday cake then then told me she couldn't when I went back to get it.

Generic Apprentice

"Wheatless In Seattle" is now "Da Vinci's" in Greenwood on Aurora Ave/ old HWY 99. It is now more or less a glorified yuppie-ish espresso cafe. With "lavender cake", foccocia breads, and other baked goods that are a bit "different" She still has pizza, but it's pre-made and usually something bizarre like eggplant with pepperoni and green peppers. I know some people would love that sort of thing, but me personally I like it pretty plain.

I tried some cinnamon rolls (to go) and they were horribly dry. If I ate them there I would have asked for my money back. I was very disappointed that she doesn't have a regular type restaurant any more. I haven't been back in about a year, so things may have changed, but it doesn't appear so from the website.

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star
"Wheatless In Seattle" is now "Da Vinci's" in Greenwood on Aurora Ave/ old HWY 99. It is now more or less a glorified yuppie-ish espresso cafe. With "lavender cake", foccocia breads, and other baked goods that are a bit "different" She still has pizza, but it's pre-made and usually something bizarre like eggplant with pepperoni and green peppers. I know some people would love that sort of thing, but me personally I like it pretty plain.

I tried some cinnamon rolls (to go) and they were horribly dry. If I ate them there I would have asked for my money back. I was very disappointed that she doesn't have a regular type restaurant any more. I haven't been back in about a year, so things may have changed, but it doesn't appear so from the website.

Open Original Shared Link

Well, maybe it's a good thing she has pre-made pizza. We once tried to get some and it took over 2 hours to get our order right. We had to keep sending it back. Wouldn't be a big deal except we have additional food allergies. She used to offer two kinds of crust. They kept putting the wrong toppings on the wrong crust.

Generic Apprentice

Well as you know she is a little "out there" and I would go as far as to say a flake. I remember one time I had eaten at the old location and I was trying to pay the bill. Her granddaughter (i believe) kept smacking her on the butt really hard, when she was trying to ring it up. She totally lost it and started screaming at her and telling her what a brat she was etc. I mean she beyond flipped out. It was like watching the exorcist. It made me extremely uncomfortable. I think she could have handled it a bit different.

I have heard some horror stories from people about her and her lack of proper business management skills. Like someone ordered some cinnamon rolls for their anniversary. They never showed and when she was called, she said she just didn't get around to it, and sent her gift certificate in exchange for it.

Um not cool! She ordered them over the phone and explained how important they were etc. and she promised it wouldn't be an issue.

Don't get me wrong I love that she is trying to offer a gluten-free/other free menu but get your self together or have someone else do the business end of things.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
I was in North Seattle for an event last weekend and went by Da Vincis. They make bakery items and some entree type things plus a full coffee service with milk alternatives. Fantastic stuff and very nice staff. They make a bunch of different pizzas and have some salads including a chicken one that was great. The desserts are wonderful too, and no problems with anything. Worth going out of the way for - it's at N 100th and Greenwood. Prices were reasonable too, no more than any good quality local bakery.

As soon as I realized I was going gluten-free I looked up bakeries. This is the place I went the first weekend. It was so relaxing to eat and not worry.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Well as you know she is a little "out there" and I would go as far as to say a flake. I remember one time I had eaten at the old location and I was trying to pay the bill. Her granddaughter (i believe) kept smacking her on the butt really hard, when she was trying to ring it up. She totally lost it and started screaming at her and telling her what a brat she was etc. I mean she beyond flipped out. It was like watching the exorcist. It made me extremely uncomfortable. I think she could have handled it a bit different.

I have heard some horror stories from people about her and her lack of proper business management skills. Like someone ordered some cinnamon rolls for their anniversary. They never showed and when she was called, she said she just didn't get around to it, and sent her gift certificate in exchange for it.

Um not cool! She ordered them over the phone and explained how important they were etc. and she promised it wouldn't be an issue.

Don't get me wrong I love that she is trying to offer a gluten-free/other free menu but get your self together or have someone else do the business end of things.

I'm glad she wasn't there when I went since it was my first week going gluten-free.

Jentu Apprentice

I'm moving to Seattle in Feb. I can't way to try these places out!

Archived