Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had blood tests done about a week ago. I asked for the results and they sent me a copy in the mail. I was disapointed to find that they only checked for IGA and gave me no numbers.....it just says negative under the words In Range and Reference Range. How sensitive and how accurate is this test?

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is an article about testing/interpreting test results on this site see:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-25106195269.c4

Did it just say IgA or IgA anti-gliadin antibodies or IgA class anti-endomysial antibodies ?

The last one is the most specific for celiac. You can copy the article and bring it to your doctor and find out which one they tested for.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

There is an article about testing/interpreting test results on this site see:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-25106195269.c4

Did it just say IgA or IgA anti-gliadin antibodies or IgA class anti-endomysial antibodies ?

The last one is the most specific for celiac. You can copy the article and bring it to your doctor and find out which one they tested for.

Under Test Name it say Endomysial Antibody SCR (IGA) W/REFL TO TETER.

Myself-Age 25....I have had symptoms since at least 1998 if not since infancy (was diagnosed with malnutrition as a small child)...Positive results with gluten free diet!

Hannah-Age 5.....Has symptoms....Inconclusive blood tests....Positive diet response to both gluten free and lactose free!

Grace-Age 1.....Born at 29 weeks due to me having celiac....Has reflux and a feeding tube.

Husband-Not Celiac......has found that he does feel better when not eating allot of gluten.....is gluten free at home.

Well after doing some of my own research I was wondering if it is possible I am IGA deficiant. I have had a long history of infections and resperatory illnesses like pnemonia 3x....I have had reacurrent sininitis that was treated for over a year with antibiotics ending only with surgery. I have currently had another infection for over two years with being on antibiotics for months at a time with little results.....every time my blood is tested I have a high white blood cell count. I seem to almost have somthing and it seems I have a hard time getting better. I have asthma, allergies, lactose intolerant, tonsitis since 8th grade, amung many other things. Is this really that rare? I still donno what to even make of the test results? Sorry ti bring this up again but I am just trying to figure this all out. What are the chances my duaghter could have the same problem?

it's an easy test-----just have a total IgA serum test run. our ped gi ran a total IgA serum along with the TTg on every one of us. the ones that have continued testing don't need to have the IgA serum run again since we know they are fine in that area.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

it's an easy test-----just have a total IgA serum test run. our ped gi ran a total IgA serum along with the TTg on every one of us. the ones that have continued testing don't need to have the IgA serum run again since we know they are fine in that area.

Ok...thanks.