Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emcmaster

Help! I Need Brunch Ideas!

My parents are coming to stay with us for the first time this weekend. We already have dinner planned out, but I'm stumped on what to do for brunch. I'd like something that is pleasing to gluten eaters and that I might be able to eat as well. So, no dairy, soy, and I need to be able to modify it to be semi low-fat.

I was thinking of doing french toast and a roasted vegetable frittata. But I'm open to ideas!

Thanks so much! :D

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That sounds really good.

I make a breakfast casserole, you know, the kind with bread, sausage, and eggs. I use gluten-free bread, and natural sausage with no bad stuff from Wild Oats. It turns out really good, but use less bread than you would with wheat bread. The rice bread really soaks up the moisture.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

That sounds really good.

I make a breakfast casserole, you know, the kind with bread, sausage, and eggs. I use gluten-free bread, and natural sausage with no bad stuff from Wild Oats. It turns out really good, but use less bread than you would with wheat bread. The rice bread really soaks up the moisture.

Recipe please! :D

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Oh ... I never measure!!! I have six kids, so I use 24 eggs. I use two pounds of breakfast sausage, and some bread. In a 9 x 13, greased baking dish, I break up the bread, a few slices to almost cover the bottom. Then I put in the browned sausage, then the beaten eggs and refrigerate overnight. In the morning I bake it at 350 degrees for about an hour (till it looks done). Sorry it's not more specific, but I don't really cook with recipes and this is something I made up from several recipes I have read. It's quick and easy.

This easily serves 8. If you have a half-size baking dish, use that and cut the rest of the recipe in half. It probably won't need to bake as long either.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

You can always serve bacon on the side...I know you probably won't be able to eat it, but then its something everyone else can have if you are worried about filling them up with yummy food!

What about homemade hash browns/potatoes? I used to LOVE those! (Cook in a little bit of olive oil-not butter (I actually used to bake them the night before, then cut up and fry up in the morning, it just made it easier and yummier, to me!),....use salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like!)

hope it helps and you have a wonderful visit.

Oh ... I never measure!!! I have six kids, so I use 24 eggs. I use two pounds of breakfast sausage, and some bread. In a 9 x 13, greased baking dish, I break up the bread, a few slices to almost cover the bottom. Then I put in the browned sausage, then the beaten eggs and refrigerate overnight. In the morning I bake it at 350 degrees for about an hour (till it looks done). Sorry it's not more specific, but I don't really cook with recipes and this is something I made up from several recipes I have read. It's quick and easy.

This easily serves 8. If you have a half-size baking dish, use that and cut the rest of the recipe in half. It probably won't need to bake as long either.

6 kids? I admire you! When I was a full-time nanny, my 3 kids were hard!

We don't have a Wild Oats here, but what is the brand you use? I'm trying to find a turkey sausage one that is lower in fat.

You can always serve bacon on the side...I know you probably won't be able to eat it, but then its something everyone else can have if you are worried about filling them up with yummy food!

What about homemade hash browns/potatoes? I used to LOVE those! (Cook in a little bit of olive oil-not butter (I actually used to bake them the night before, then cut up and fry up in the morning, it just made it easier and yummier, to me!),....use salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like!)

hope it helps and you have a wonderful visit.

Thanks, Laura! That's a great idea, too!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

if you are still looking for "ideas" you should check out mccormick.com (the people who make all the spices and seasonings). Search for recipes under breakfast....even if it has to be modified, thats where I used to get a lot of my ideas. :)

(Can you tell I miss yummy breakfast foods?! I want to come over!)

gluten-free pancakes, fruit, and hardboiled eggs! :) (well, that's what I like, anyway. :P)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

My favorite brunch foods to make are a fritatta with broccoli and mushrooms (and cheese, if you can eat it) and home fried potatoes.

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06