This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Idea What's Going On Anymore

Chrisser

Chrisser Explorer

OK, my body has gone absolutely haywire since going gluten-free. Things sort of leveled out for a little bit after several weeks of being on the diet. I was still kind of tired and constantly eating, but at least I was getting into somewhat of a regime and my blood sugar levels had leveled out a bit. But all of a sudden, the last few weeks, I'm a mess. My blood sugar will not get high enough. Yesterday I ate 10 meals. 10 MEALS. I was eating like every hour and a half. And after every meal my blood sugar would drop into the 70s. Late last night it dropped into the 60s. The last week or two my blood sugar hasn't gone above the 80s after a meal. And obviously with low blood sugar comes low energy levels. I've been keeping a food diary. It's like eating doesn't really make a difference. I hate it now. I hate food. I'm so tired of eating. I'm held captive by food. I had to come back to NY to live with my mother so I could try to get back on my feet and get this all figured out. I had seem my PCP and endocrinologist in Dallas, and no one had any answers. Everyone keeps telling me my blood sugar levels are normal. This is ridiculous. I saw an internal medicine dr here in NY, and I'm waiting on the bloodwork results from her, but I have to wait until the 23rd to see an endo to get anything more extensive done.

Several weeks ago I had not slept for 4 days straight, I had a horrible throat infection, and I ended up in the ER getting fluids and pain medication and antibiotics for my throat. It seems like after that everything went haywire. But it just keeps getting worse, and I don't know why. It's turned into a vicious circle...the more stressed out I get, the worse it gets...the worse it gets, the more stressed out I get. I've been practically living on Xanax, which I normally don't take.

Ugh. Anyone have any similar experiences?? Or any clues as to what in the world may be going on??

I"m so tired of fighting this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast
It's turned into a vicious circle...the more stressed out I get, the worse it gets...the worse it gets, the more stressed out I get. I've been practically living on Xanax, which I normally don't take.

This stood out to me because I suffer adrenal fatigue. Blood sugar is tied to adrenals, so it could be part of your problem. Google it and see.

Shalia Apprentice

I'd suggest seeing your endo about adrenal failure. I have a good friend who also couldn't get her blood sugar at anywhere near a decent level for quite a while until she got her adrenals taken care of.

It sucks, because now she needs to be prepped with more shots, but it'll save her life. The last thing you'd want is to find out you actually have adrenal failure when you need them to work.

Good luck to you.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Remember, when they check your adrenals, you may not necessarily be all the way to failure, and if you're not, then their tests won't show a problem. It would be like catching celiac before it actually damages your intestine. Most docs won't diagnose adrenal fatigue in much the same way that they don't diagnose celiac until your intestines are damaged.

jesscarmel Enthusiast
OK, my body has gone absolutely haywire since going gluten-free. Things sort of leveled out for a little bit after several weeks of being on the diet. I was still kind of tired and constantly eating, but at least I was getting into somewhat of a regime and my blood sugar levels had leveled out a bit. But all of a sudden, the last few weeks, I'm a mess. My blood sugar will not get high enough. Yesterday I ate 10 meals. 10 MEALS. I was eating like every hour and a half. And after every meal my blood sugar would drop into the 70s. Late last night it dropped into the 60s. The last week or two my blood sugar hasn't gone above the 80s after a meal. And obviously with low blood sugar comes low energy levels. I've been keeping a food diary. It's like eating doesn't really make a difference. I hate it now. I hate food. I'm so tired of eating. I'm held captive by food. I had to come back to NY to live with my mother so I could try to get back on my feet and get this all figured out. I had seem my PCP and endocrinologist in Dallas, and no one had any answers. Everyone keeps telling me my blood sugar levels are normal. This is ridiculous. I saw an internal medicine dr here in NY, and I'm waiting on the bloodwork results from her, but I have to wait until the 23rd to see an endo to get anything more extensive done.

Several weeks ago I had not slept for 4 days straight, I had a horrible throat infection, and I ended up in the ER getting fluids and pain medication and antibiotics for my throat. It seems like after that everything went haywire. But it just keeps getting worse, and I don't know why. It's turned into a vicious circle...the more stressed out I get, the worse it gets...the worse it gets, the more stressed out I get. I've been practically living on Xanax, which I normally don't take.

Ugh. Anyone have any similar experiences?? Or any clues as to what in the world may be going on??

I"m so tired of fighting this.

I'm sorry i have no good advice or insight into whats happening to you but i really hope you feel better soon. i will keep you in my thoughts. its so awful to feel so sick and not know whats causing it. i really hope you feel good soon!!!

Jess

oceangirl Collaborator
I'm sorry i have no good advice or insight into whats happening to you but i really hope you feel better soon. i will keep you in my thoughts. its so awful to feel so sick and not know whats causing it. i really hope you feel good soon!!!

Jess

I would like to echo what Jess said. I have to say, after doing much better for awhile, I have not been doing very well since a nasty throat infection for which I did 3 ROUNDS of antibiotics in August and which has recurred 4 times! I hope you get to the bottom of this and start to feel better soon!

lisa

kbtoyssni Contributor

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I hope you find out the root of your problem and start feeling better soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daffadilly Apprentice

Are you eating dairy? soy? eggs? corn? Those are the other common problems.

Chrisser Explorer
Are you eating dairy? soy? eggs? corn? Those are the other common problems.

I haven't been eating corn. I have soy in whatever products it may be in. But I don't see how any of those would contribute to low blood sugars, especially if I'm eating 6-8 meals a day.

ilovechocolate Explorer

my thoughts and prayers are with you, i'm so sorry that you arent finding any answers.

HANG IN THERE!!! hey it finally got cooler here in dallas! we are in the low 70's! its a total miracle:) let me know if i can do anything for ya :rolleyes:

emily

lindalee Enthusiast

Chrisser, when I first went on the diet , some things got worse and I think it had a lot to do with getting rid of toxins and fungus. I had a lot of sinus issues (used sinus cleanser and cleared that up so it didn't get to the throat).

I ate all the time also. I think that had to do with malabsorption.

Never checked the sugar levels but I do know it took a while for my energy levels to go up. I figured I had been eating the gluten so long it would just take a while and needed rest and a healing diet.

Sleep was also a problem and I started melatonin so I could sleep (body cannot heal without sleep).

I had been on antibotics previously for a dental issue which I believe put me in a disbiosis state in the gut. I started eating lots more yogurt (per SCD) to kill the bad bacteria. This is a long process and any sugar,etc. can contribute to these nasty bacterias.

All the best to you and hope you get some answers and let us know. :)

Archived