This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Sausage?

julia mom

julia mom Rookie

Hello

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a gluten-free sausage. Like the Italian kind used to make sausage and peppers. My daughter rarely eats meat and the Italian sausage was one of the few she enjoyed before celiac disease diagnosis. Thanks so much for any ideas. Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Jimmy Dean Sausages are Gluten Free!! :D

-Jessica :rolleyes:

julia mom Rookie

Thanks Jessica

I was actually looking for more of an italian style dinner sausage as opposed to a BF sausage.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I could have sworn they also had sausage in other forms. Maybe I am wrong. I'm not much of a uckey sausage eater anyways! ha

:rolleyes:

soul04 Apprentice

Just from reading the ingredients, it seems that Aidells (sp?) is gluten-free. They make good chicken sausages. Also, you could ask your grocer's butcher if their italian sausages are gluten-free.

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Hmm...I thought I had posted a reply here, but I guess I must have hit the wrong button! Anyway, Wellshire farms makes several varieties of gluten-free sausage. I'm not sure whether Italian is one of them, but it's worth checking out. They even make some turkey sausages, and their uncured turkey bacon is delicious!

Alison Rookie

Not all Aidell's are gluten-free. Be careful of the ones with soy sauce in them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

coveowner Newbie

Check to see if Hormel makes an italian sausage. Their pepperoni clearly states that it is gluten free, which stands to reason that they might make other products which are also.

Rose

Jo Ann Apprentice

Go to www.jennieoturkeystore.com and/or www.hormel.com for list of gluten-free products. Many food companies are listing gluten-free products on line. When shopping, if there is a toll free number listed, use your cell phone (or some stores will check while you are there). Celiac is getting to be a familiar word in the food business, and many companies are very helpful. We like Butterball Summer and Kielbasa Sausage. Good luck! :)

seeking-wholeness Explorer

I just discovered that Shady Brook Farms makes Italian sausage in both sweet and hot varieties; their website claims they are both gluten-free! Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
mom of 5 celiac Rookie

Hormel told me that most of their products are gluten free and if not it will say on the product that it has wheat in it . I would trust Hormel

Guest rogerskathl

Can you get Dominic's mild Italian sausage where you are? It's gluten-free and delicious!

Kathy

• 10 months later...
Guest Sibewill

I just recevied an answer to my inquiry at Prairie Pride Farms. They were very helpfull and I received the answer in two separate emails while they made absolutely sure about the ingredients. They told me that all their products are gluten-free. I am not sure if this includes their BBQ sauce too, since I inquired about the meat products. They have Italian Link style sausage among others. I just placed my order so can't really tell you personally how good they are except that they've won a bunch of awards at the minnessota fairs. They have a website and do internet orders too. Its prairiepridepork.com

First response:

let me check with my butcher for sure and I'll let you. know. I know I

> sell

> a lot of fresh brats to customers that are sensative to milk products. All

> of our fresh cuts (chops, roasts) are good for you.

> We ship to NY ground UPS in the winter and it would arrive in 4 days in

> good

> shape. I would ship on mondays for you , that way it would get to you by

> friday. I just called him and the pork patties (seasened pork sausage)

> are

> gluten free and so are the brats. The ingredient list is also on each

> label

> so you can check for sure. I do have other sausages (wild rice,

> cheddarwurst, polish, italian) that I would need to check on further. Any

> particular sausages that you are interested in ? Thanks Dawn

Second response:

Hi Will, I did a check on all of our products and found that all of our

products are "gluten free". So order away! Thanks for asking. Dawn Hubmer

terri Contributor

Be careful with Aidells. Only some of their sausages are gluten-free. They will say gluten-free right on the package, If it doesn't. don't buy it. Shadybrook Farms hot Italian sausage is great! So is Jimmy Dean's sage sausage for stuffings. Healthy Choice sausage links are good too if you can find them!

Archived