Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raquel

Caramel Coloring

I've read and seen on lists that caramel coloring contains gluten, I just bought a packet of Gluten Free Gravy mix that contained Caramel Coloring in it, so is there a difference or a good and bad version. Also if there is a difference is all caramel bad too? and what about like sodas with caramel coloring?? I don't know if I can live w/out caramel or root beer!!

Thanks!

Raquel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

package gravy mix is not alway good for us.

7-up and Pepsi are fine.

If your gravey mix is guten free you are one of the lucky ones that can find it in the stores.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I remember reading somewhere (yes, I know that is not helpful) that carmel color is safe if made in the US. For example coke-a-cola has carmel color but is gluten-free. Hopefully, someone more on top of things (I'm thinking Richard) will pipe in!

Hez

the gravy packet is actually labeled gluten free from the health food store here, found it today, anyone know anything else about caramel (like candy) or root beer? I'm not a big soda drinker but i love root beer floats. . .

Thanks

Raquel

I too have had trouble with caramel... here's why I say that. If I get "glutenated" =) I know it within 4-5 hrs, so it's not hard to pinpoint. Every time I drink Kahlua it causes a HORRIBLE reaction. I know, kahlua is listed as gluten free..... But the only ingredient I can pin it down to is the damn caramel coloring...

Every place I have read has said that caramel coloring is not gluten free. I went to Beaners the other day and asked them to make their Caramel Apple Cider without the caramel and just to heat up the cider. But they made it wrong and I had an awful reaction to the caramel the put in it. My advice would be to stay away from it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Caramel coloring is gluten-free. Seriously, the Kahlua people are not lying -- it's gluten-free, even with the caramel coloring. Sodas with caramel coloring are gluten-free. And if a gravy packet specifically says gluten-free, it's gluten-free. They're not going to label it gluten-free when it's not.

richard

Thank you for joining in Richard! I will keep looking to see where I read that carmel color in the US is safe. Maybe it was Gluten Free Living magazine?

Hez

Caramel coloring is gluten-free. Seriously, the Kahlua people are not lying -- it's gluten-free, even with the caramel coloring. Sodas with caramel coloring are gluten-free. And if a gravy packet specifically says gluten-free, it's gluten-free. They're not going to label it gluten-free when it's not.

richard

Is this all caramel coloring in the USA is gluten-free or all caramel coloring anywhere? I thought it was one of those ingredients you have to call and double check on or is it now like maltodextrin where FDA regulations require it to be gluten-free? Thanks!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.