Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzie_GFfamily

Cupcake Preparedness

Does anyone have tips for quickly making gluten-free baked goodies for their children?

I've got some pre-packaged treats in the cupboard at home, and my kids have a treat box in their classroom with a chocolate bar, some gluten-free gummy candy, M&M's, etc.

But how about perishable foods like cupcakes? I'm going to bake gluten-free cupcakes today because my dd has a dance recital and the teacher is serving cupcakes afterwards. And on Sun dd has a birthday party to attend- so gluten-free cupcakes again.

I'm wondering if the ones I bake today will still taste good on Sun? Is the self-life for gluten-free baked goods any shorter than regular baked treats?

I've thought about dividing the cake mix and baking half today and half on Sun so that she can have fresh cupcakes on both days. I don't really want to have to bake a whole batch of cupcakes each time one of the kids has a special event - we'll be eating left-over cupcakes all the time if I do this :o

So I've been debating freezing some- will these still taste good? Or, trying to bake very small batches at a time- the equivalent of the "E-Z bake oven" mixes..... a small amount of cake mix, and a small amount of water. Has anyone ever tried doing this?

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest nini

I bake a large batch at one time, even frost them, and I freeze them in ziplock freezer bags, they last about six months. When my daughter is invited to a party I just pull one out of the freezer for her before she goes, it thaws in about an hour at room temp and is still good. I usually use either Pamela's chocolate cake mix or The gluten free pantry's old fashioned cake and cookie mix.

Perhaps the school would be willing to keep one cupcake in the freezer in the teachers lounge for special occasions.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I don't know about the shelf-life, but I would think it would be the same as other baked goods. Neither has any preservatives. If you put them in the fridge they should be good on sunday. Or you could freeze them. I made blueberry muffins and it's just me and my boyfriend living here, so I froze like a dozen of them. Whenever I want one I take it out and let it defrost. They've been in the freezer for a month and a half or so and they still taste delicious! Freezing makes it much easier so I don't feel like I have to eat them all so they won't go bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

I've made cupcakes from the Namaste chocolate cake mix, and keep them sealed in one of those tupperware type things you use to transport cakes. A week later and they are still perfectly soft and fresh tasting.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

I second the freezing method. I bake cupcakes 24 at a time and freeze whatever we don't eat that day. I pull one out and let each kid choose how they want to decorate it (my oldest likes his without frosting) or I decorate them if it is a sudden call from the school. I have frosted some and frozen them frosted. They always come out soft and really tasty. My daughter keeps a small gladware container in the teachers mini-fridge freezer compartment in the classroom. It holds 2 cupcakes and the teacher gives it back to me when it is empty and I refill it. I use Really Great Foods chocolate cake mix or Pamela's chocolate cake mix.

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children