Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luvs2eat

When Will I Learn?

I say it all the time... I must read EVERY SINGLE LABEL, EVERY SINGLE TIME!! I'm usually really good about it!!

So, I'm on this wt. loss diet that's essentially lean protein, fruits, and veggies, and small amts. of starch (for me that means rice, potatoes, squashes... the others aren't gluten-free.

My celiac symptoms are so nonexistent right now... I've never been "digestively" better!

So, yesterday I was looking for a certain brand of deli turkey breast (Boarshead) that I know is good... and took a look at the packaged deli meats that I've bought many times for yummy lunch sandwiches. I was looking for sugars and fats and salt.

Every single one contained modified food starch.

How could I be so stupid?? I amaze myself sometimes!!

Back to label reading 101!!

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest nini

modified food starch is USUALLY from corn, in the US it should be corn, unless it is clearly labled as wheat. With the new allergen labeling laws in effect, the companies have to disclose if the modified food starch is from a wheat source. so if it is it should say Modified Food Starch (wheat) and then at the end of the ingredients statement in bold it should say contains wheat products

When I called Boars Head, they said all of their deli meats were gluten free. But, there were only a couple of them that were corn free. I was calling about the corn, but we did discuss the gluten.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis