This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For gluten-free Turkey Bacon, Smoked Paprika, And Liquid Smoke

hineini

hineini Enthusiast

Does anyone know where I can find gluten-free smoked paprika and gluten-free liquid smoke? I've heard liquid smoke is often not gluten-free and I really want smoked paprika for some recipes I'd like to make.

Also, have you ever heard of a gluten-free turkey bacon? Know any brands that make one?

EDITED TO ADD: I am kosher, and it appears there aren't any mass-marketed Kosher turkey bacons out there. But there is a beef bacon, which I think I'll check out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I never looked for turkey bacon, but I found gluten-free turkey pepperoni. I don't remember the brand, but it was mainstrem. Might work in some recipes, but it could be too much for breakfast.

Guhlia Rising Star

JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Turkey Bacon is gluten free. Americanspice.com has gluten free smoked paprika. Colgin natural liquid smoke is gluten free.

I hope that helps.

*edit*

This is B&G's gluten free list. Wright's is a B&G company. The following are gluten free.

Wright's®:

Hickory Liquid Smoke

Mesquite Liquid Smoke

hineini Enthusiast
JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Turkey Bacon is gluten free. Americanspice.com has gluten free smoked paprika. Colgin natural liquid smoke is gluten free.

I hope that helps.

*edit*

This is B&G's gluten free list. Wright's is a B&G company. The following are gluten free.

Wright's®:

Hickory Liquid Smoke

Mesquite Liquid Smoke

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

I forgot to mention I only eat kosher meat - And I can't find a brand kosher turkey bacon though I have found kosher beef bacon which I actually just heard is better. So I'm going to give up on that search for now.

But yay for gluten-free smoked paprika!

Guhlia Rising Star

Here's an article on how to make bacon. I don't know what's required for it to be kosher, but perhaps, if you had some patience, you could make your own.

Curing and smoking

Curing means preserving with salt. The traditional dry-cure process involves taking the meat and rubbing it, over a number of days, with dry salt or a mixture of salt, sugar and spices. It is then left to hang for up to 2 weeks in order for the moisture to be drawn out. It must then be left to cure in a cool, dry, airy environment for anything up to 9 months. Less time is needed if it is going to be smoked.

The alternative wet-cure process (which produces Wiltshire bacon) involves immersing the meat in brine for two to three days. Sweetcure bacon is produced by adding sugar to the brine. Honey-cured bacon has added honey, and maple cure bacon has added maple syrup. The meat must then be left to hang for approximately 2 weeks until it is cured.

Modern mass produced bacon uses the wet-cure process but also involves pumping additional water, sodium nitrite and phosphates directly into the flesh to speed up the process and add bulk. However, this is directly at the expense of flavour. Mass produced bacon is held for curing for 6 to 24 hours before being cooked. It is often regarded as inferior, and can exude unappealing white liquid during frying.

Smoking is used to impart more flavour into the bacon and also to speed up the curing process. Unsmoked bacon is sometimes known as green bacon. Smoked bacon is traditionally produced by allowing the cured meat to hang in a room over a bed of smoking wood chips. Using different varieties of wood (such as apple, beech, cherry, hickory, or oak) gives the cured bacon different flavours. Cold smoking involves leaving the meat at a low temperature fire for anything up to 2-3 weeks. Hot smoking involves using a much higher temperature where the meat is partially cooked over a few days.

Mass produced bacon is cooked in large convection ovens. The ovens can either be of the "batch" or "continuous" variety. In a batch oven, the bacon is cooked and smoked in the same cabinet. In a continuous oven, bacon hung on a monorail system is moved from a cooking cabinet to a smoking cabinet by an overhead chain. Smoke flavour is imparted to the bacon either using natural smoke obtained by burning wood chips, or by spraying the bacon with a liquid smoke extract. Mass production cooking is much quicker than traditional smoking due to the use of convective heat transfer and can be completed in as little as 6 hours.

After cooking and smoking, the bacon must be chilled before being pressed and sliced. In mass production, bacon should be chilled to under 40°F in less than six hours after cooking in order to prevent bacterial growth and promote product shelf life.

Archived