This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Much To Deal With Right Now...

Niteyx13

Niteyx13 Explorer

:( Well, it seems it is time for trails like crazy in our family. We have had soooo much junk hitting us already, and now we had the worst of the worst. My mother found out today that is has breast cancer. She is my only parent left, and I am too young to be losing parents as it is. I know this is not a cancer group, but does anyone know of any support groups like this for people dealing with a loved ones with cancer? I am going to have to be her main support, and I can't even keep it together myself. She is dealing with it better than I am. I hate seeming like I always complain, but things have been tough. Forgive me going off topic, and thanks for allowing me to vent here.

Deanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

No, it's fine to vent. I guess, too, this serves as a good example to all of us of how fortunate we are with our situations......having celiac disease. It's easy to feel sorry for ourselves and at times we deserve to feel sorry for ourselves; we have it harder than a lot of people in this country do---but I think I tend to lose sight of the fact that there are also a lot of people who have it harder than we do.

Obviously I'm sorry to hear that....my mom had breast cancer about five years ago; she survived. If you or your mom want to talk to her about it, I know she'd be more than willing to provide support. She was really grateful when others who survived it supported her when she got it....I'll PM you w/ her e-mail if you want to talk to her or give it to your mom. Good luck.

-celiac3270

flagbabyds Collaborator

Sorry I don't know any groups.

I hope you both feel better.!

celiac3270 Collaborator

My mom thought she remembered some breast cancer support group that is worldwide called "glendas" or something.....she said it might come to her.

I found a few links on the internet......I'm sure you've already seen just about all of them by this point, but if not, here they are:

Open Original Shared Link

miup2l8 Newbie

I know how you feel about your Mom - my brother is presently in a hospice center, battling cancer and it can be very stressful for all concerned. The hospital or your mother's doctor should be able to sent you in the right direction for support groups in your area.

Good luck to both of you and remember to eat well and to carry gluten-free snacks so you never are in a position that you have to "grab something". It important for you to be well enough to be of a help to your mother right now.

Niteyx13 Explorer

Wow, thank you all for the support, especially concidering how off-topic I have gone. I will look into the links and see what I can find.

Deanna

kalo Rookie

Hi Deanna. Sorry to hear of all your stress. I will be praying for your mother. You might try yahoogroups and see if there is a group. My mother had breast cancer but had a lumpectomy and did fine. Another friend of mine lost both of her breasts and is doing fine. And still another one had breast cancer and pulled through it. My grandmother also had it (moms side) but I don't remember how she did. Guess I should ask. Keep us posted and take care of yourself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 weeks later...
Niteyx13 Explorer

Just thought I would update everyone about my mom and my gluten diet.

My mom had a bi-lateral mastectomy on monday (because the cancer she had had a high rate of showing up on the other side and she only wanted to do this once). Her lymph nodes were clear, praise God! Now she is just recovering from it all, and doing a wonderful job of it all. She is one tough cookie. Thank you all for the support I got about this, because it was so extremely off topic.

I have been on the gluten diet around 2 weeks, I think. I have been eating everything I can...lol...We went to Lone Star yesterday and I ate one of those onions (I love em!), but I don't know if it was the grease, or gluten, or what, but I was really sick the rest of the day with a big time stomach ache and gas pains. I have all the old symptoms back, and man am I exhausted and lethargic. I realize now how much better I felt gluten-free, and I am anxious to go back to it. Hopefully if I do the blood test around the end of this month it will all show up.

Thanks to everyone. =)

Deanna

tarnalberry Community Regular

Good luck to your mom, and a speedy recovery!

And good luck with your blood tests!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Glad to hear that she's doing better....I had actually been thinking about her the past few days, wondering how it was going, so thanks for updating us. When my mom had breast cancer, she had one of her breasts removed -- I think they said that they didn't have to take it off, but she wanted to to make sure there was nothing left and it couldn't spread.......she said "I don't eat with it, breathe with it, see with it so I'd rather be safe".......anyway, thanks for posting and I'm really happy to hear that everything turned out all right, it didn't spread to the lymph nodes or the other breast, etc. That's terrific news.....like I told you before, if she wants to talk to anyone or anything, she can e-mail my mom....I gave you her e-mail, but if you need it again, let me know. My mom had a breast reconstructed, and she's REALLY good with pain, but the doctor said that after that operation it would take a year to feel herself again. The doc. was right -- my mom said that she felt that maybe that was what he meant for the "wimps" lol who couldn't deal with pain and stuff, but she literally couldn't get up or hardly move after that operation -- so if you want to discuss options or whatever again, you're always welcome. Once again, I'm truly excited to hear that it went well. I'll let my mom know and I send my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Niteyx13 Explorer

Thank you both for the responses.

celiac3270,

My mom is an RN and she agrees with the year to feel yourself again thing. She says it takes that long just to get the anesthetic they use completely out of your system. My mom is also doing the breast reconstruction. How did they do your mom's? Did they put the spacer thing in, and then have her go back later for the permanant implants? My mom is 67 so I was suprised when she decided to do the re-con (but then, in AZ state law requires insurance to pay for it). Please let me have your mom's E-mail address again. I will definately give it to my mom, sounds like they have some things they could talk about. Thanks a bunch!

Deanna <~~~back to taking 2 hour naps in the afternoon, and zoking out everynight (gluten-free it was all I could do just to go to sleep)! I can't wait to be gluten-free again! I must be crazy...lol

celiac3270 Collaborator

No, my mom did the tramflap, cause she wanted it to be from her own skin, muscles, etc., rather than something fake in her.......just scared of any complications that could occur from something artificial, I think. Oh, and I PMed you her e-mail address.

Archived