This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 Things

mbg98

mbg98 Contributor

So yesterday was my last day at work and my staff suprised me and had a Gluten Free cake specially made for me! They called the Cake place that i get my kids b-day cakes made and asked if they could do a gluten-free cake, and they were very familiar with the whole process. Aparently they just delivered a gluten-free wedding cake that morning. Anyway the cake was delicious! Chocolate double layer with buttercream icing! YUM!! They saisd they have a company in PA that processes only gluten-free things and thats were the mix comes from and they prepare them in a special area so not to have cross contamination, then they specially prepare their own gluten-free buttercreme icing. That was such a treat! Its nice to know there is a bakery close that can do that for me!

Also, I posted last week about having D issues for about a month, well i went to see this new Celiac doc in my area and he told me to start taking calcium 3 times a day and a 1 a day vitamin, which i have been doing and I also switched my facial moisurizer and low and behold no D for 3 1/2 days so far! So what do you think made that stop, the vitamins or new moisturizer? Thats a question i can't seem to answere. Funny thing is he sent me to have all the stool test done and when i went to the lab to pick up the stuff it turns out there are 11 vials of stool sample things I have to give, so now that my D has stopped to i still do them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Wow! That's so awesome that they had a gluten free cake made for you. What sweet people.

Glad the D stopped... It sounds to me like it could have easily been your moisturizer. Was there any obvious gluten in it? Was there vitamin E (this can be wheat derived), avena sativa (oats), or HVP (can be wheat derived), in it? I guess it could have been the vitamins too, but I'm betting on the moisturizer having hidden gluten in it. Also, what moisturizer were you using?

As for the stool tests, what exactly were they testing for? It may be worth while to go through with the tests, especially if your insurance will cover them.

mbg98 Contributor

I was using Oil of Olay and I didn't see any obvious gluten ingredients but I am still learning some things.

As far as the stool testing they were testing for blood, parasites and malabsorbtion.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was using Oil of Olay and I didn't see any obvious gluten ingredients but I am still learning some things.

As far as the stool testing they were testing for blood, parasites and malabsorbtion.

I always liked the Oil of Olay lotions before diagnosis so I called recently and the rep stated that only the one that is fragrance free and for sensitive skin was okay to use. If you were using any of the others that could have been the culprit.

plantime Contributor

I'm betting on the facial moisturizer, too. It is too easy to get something like that in your mouth.

I am so glad you have a bakery that makes gluten-free cakes so close to you! That certainly makes life a tad bit easier for you! :D

mbg98 Contributor

Not sure on whether it was fragrance free and such it was the "original"version though. I still can't believe that i may just have been that simple as to stop using that. I am loving feeling great again! And best news yet is that so far in my loosing weight quest I am down 48lbs. today!!! Unfortunatly probably 10 of those lbs were not from hard work just from the D.

Archived