Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2003

Antone Know What The Ige Is?

I think I have asked this before but does anyone know really?

Should I take her to an allergy dr to find out?

Her norm IgE should be <30 and hers is 272 and the GI dr said it wasn't celiac related.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

IgE antibody is related to inhaled allergens and skin reactions...usually asthma and something called atopy.

The immune system produces at least five kinds of immunoglobulins (Ig) or antibodies (IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG and IgM), but the principal one that participates in allergic reactions is immunoglobulin E, or IgE. Every individual has different IgE antibodies, and each allergic substance stimulates production of its own specific IgE. An IgE antibody made to respond to ragweed pollen, for example, will react only against ragweed, and not oak tree or bluegrass or any other kind of pollen. When the antibodies encounter the allergen they are programmed against, they immediately signal the basophils or mast cells to unleash histamine or other mediating chemicals into the surrounding tissue. It is these chemicals - mainly histamine - that cause the familiar allergic reactions. Histamine released in the nose, eyes, and sinuses, for example, stimulates sneezing, a runny nose, and itchy eyes. Released in the lungs it causes narrowing and swelling of the lining of the airways and the secretion of thick mucus. Released in the skin, it causes rashes and hives. And in the digestive system, it causes stomach cramps and diarrhea

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=1228768

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Thank you for that.

I am worried about asthma because me and my older daughter have it and a few winters ago I started with Ezcema and last winter my older daughter too. But mainly when nicole gets sick I mean high fever lethargy etc she had trouble breathing she has to breath through her mouth,not that her nose is blocked but she works hard. When ever I took her to see a dr they never mentioned it. How can they tell if she has asthma? She will be 3 next month?

Thank You

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

Thank you for that.

I am worried about asthma because me and my older daughter have it and a few winters ago I started with Ezcema and last winter my older daughter too. But mainly when nicole gets sick I mean high fever lethargy etc she had trouble breathing she has to breath through her mouth,not that her nose is blocked but she works hard. When ever I took her to see a dr they never mentioned it. How can they tell if she has asthma? She will be 3 next month?

Thank You

Dear Nikki2003,

The IgE is the Immunoglobulin E antibody. It high levels of it indicate skin allergies. The bad news is, they are not that accurate in diagnosing food allergies. Despite the fact I am gluten intolerant, it did not show up in my skin tests. I too, have asthma and eczema. I had a lot of symptoms like your daughter when I was a child. I had broncchitis all the time. As far as diagnosing asthma goes, there is a test they can do for lung capacity at the hospital. I do not know if the accuracy is very good though. Many people with asthma experience a sensation in their chest and neck as if being squeezed. It usually occurred when I was exposed to cigarette smoke, during exercise, and when coming into contact with molds, dust, dustmites, pollen, or ragweed. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville